[Samba] smbldap-useradd problem - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] smbldap-useradd problem - Samba ; Dear list, Arghl! (I'm sure you know the feeling). I'm still hooked on Samba by example, and trying to add users to my ldap tree. $ smbldap-useradd -m -a ldaptest2 Can't call method "get_value" on an undefined value at /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd ...

  1. [Samba] smbldap-useradd problem

    Dear list,

    Arghl! (I'm sure you know the feeling).
    I'm still hooked on Samba by example, and trying to add users to my ldap tree.

    $ smbldap-useradd -m -a ldaptest2
    Can't call method "get_value" on an undefined value at
    /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd line 197

    The documentation of the smbldap scripts mentions this sort of error
    (albeit with a different line number). Two possible problems are
    proposed:
    1. the default group defined in smbldap.conf does not exist (the one
    with defaultUserGid 513)
    2. the NT "Domain Users" group is not mapped to a unix group of rid 513

    => I checked both. The group exists, it's called "Domain Users", I can
    chgrp a file on the samba/ldap system to 513 and ls -l shows it's
    owned by Domain Users.

    => $ net groupmap list
    shows thet "Domain Users" is linked to a group called "Domain Users"
    (which makes sense).

    If I leave the option -a of smbldap-useradd, the command completes
    with no error but off course my new user isn't a Windows user then
    (pretty useless). So it's not an LDAP permissions issue since the
    object /is/ created. (Why can't this script be a bit more verbose?)

    --
    Frank Van Damme A: Because it destroys the flow of the conversation
    Q: Why is it bad?

  2. Re: [Samba] smbldap-useradd problem

    Does it work if you run it as root?

    On 26/09/2007, Frank Van Damme wrote:

    > Dear list,
    >
    > Arghl! (I'm sure you know the feeling).
    > I'm still hooked on Samba by example, and trying to add users to my ldap
    > tree.
    >
    > $ smbldap-useradd -m -a ldaptest2
    > Can't call method "get_value" on an undefined value at
    > /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd line 197
    >
    > The documentation of the smbldap scripts mentions this sort of error
    > (albeit with a different line number). Two possible problems are
    > proposed:
    > 1. the default group defined in smbldap.conf does not exist (the one
    > with defaultUserGid 513)
    > 2. the NT "Domain Users" group is not mapped to a unix group of rid 513
    >
    > => I checked both. The group exists, it's called "Domain Users", I can
    > chgrp a file on the samba/ldap system to 513 and ls -l shows it's
    > owned by Domain Users.
    >
    > => $ net groupmap list
    > shows thet "Domain Users" is linked to a group called "Domain Users"
    > (which makes sense).
    >
    > If I leave the option -a of smbldap-useradd, the command completes
    > with no error but off course my new user isn't a Windows user then
    > (pretty useless). So it's not an LDAP permissions issue since the
    > object /is/ created. (Why can't this script be a bit more verbose?)
    >
    > --
    > Frank Van Damme A: Because it destroys the flow of the conversation
    > Q: Why is it bad?
    > A: No, it's bad.
    > Q: Should I top post in replies to mails or on usenet?
    > --

  3. Re: [Samba] smbldap-useradd problem

    On 9/26/07, Quinn Fissler wrote:
    > Does it work if you run it as root?

    I ran it as root, sorry for the confusing "$" command prompt.

    --
    Frank Van Damme A: Because it destroys the flow of the conversation
    Q: Why is it bad?
    A: No, it's bad.
    Q: Should I top post in replies to mails or on usenet?