[Samba] Samba vs Microsoft Logon Protocols - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Samba vs Microsoft Logon Protocols - Samba ; Hello, I am trying to figure out how the different values for "max protocol" and "min protocol" (as seen in the smb.conf man page under the "max protocol" section) correlate to the Microsoft jargon for the different logon protocols. Here ...

  1. [Samba] Samba vs Microsoft Logon Protocols

    Hello,

    I am trying to figure out how the different values for "max
    protocol" and "min protocol" (as seen in the smb.conf man page under the
    "max protocol" section) correlate to the Microsoft jargon for the
    different logon protocols. Here is what I've determined. Could some
    please verify this for me?

    Samba Microsoft
    CORE ??? (Something really old that I don't care about)
    COREPLUS ??? (Something really old that I don't care about)
    LANMAN LAN Manager (LM)
    LANMAN2 LAN Manager (LM)
    NT1 NTLMv1
    ** Not Supported NTLMv2

    Microsoft does not seem to differentiate between a LANMAN and a
    LANMAN2 on their website, I usually just see references to a "LAN
    Manager (LM)". I never see a reference on Microsoft.com to an "NT1"
    protocol; I think what the smb.conf man page refers to as NT1 is
    NTLMv1. And I believe that Samba does not support the latest and
    greatest NTLMv2.

    Is all that accurate?

    Thanks,
    - SG

  2. Re: [Samba] Samba vs Microsoft Logon Protocols

    > I am trying to figure out how the different values for "max
    > protocol" and "min protocol" (as seen in the smb.conf man page under the
    > "max protocol" section) correlate to the Microsoft jargon for the
    > different logon protocols. Here is what I've determined. Could some
    > please verify this for me?
    > Samba Microsoft
    > CORE ??? (Something really old that I don't care about)
    > COREPLUS ??? (Something really old that I don't care about)
    > LANMAN LAN Manager (LM)
    > LANMAN2 LAN Manager (LM)
    > NT1 NTLMv1
    > ** Not Supported NTLMv2

    Wrong, Samba support NTMLv2. There is even an NTLMv2 section in the
    documentation.
    http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/....html#id380577

    --
    Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
    Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com

  3. Re: [Samba] Samba vs Microsoft Logon Protocols

    If my "mapping" of the notes in the smb.conf man page to the Microsoft
    jargon is incorrect, then could someone please provide me with a correct
    one? In particular, I am most curious to know if I am right about NT1
    being the same thing as NTLMv1. If it is, then what is NTLMv2?

    Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
    >> I am trying to figure out how the different values for "max
    >> protocol" and "min protocol" (as seen in the smb.conf man page under the
    >> "max protocol" section) correlate to the Microsoft jargon for the
    >> different logon protocols. Here is what I've determined. Could some
    >> please verify this for me?
    >> Samba Microsoft
    >> CORE ??? (Something really old that I don't care about)
    >> COREPLUS ??? (Something really old that I don't care about)
    >> LANMAN LAN Manager (LM)
    >> LANMAN2 LAN Manager (LM)
    >> NT1 NTLMv1
    >> ** Not Supported NTLMv2
    >>

    > Wrong, Samba support NTMLv2. There is even an NTLMv2 section in the
    > documentation.
    > http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/....html#id380577

  4. Re: [Samba] Samba vs Microsoft Logon Protocols

    On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 10:01:40AM -0400, Server Gremlin wrote:
    > If my "mapping" of the notes in the smb.conf man page to the Microsoft
    > jargon is incorrect, then could someone please provide me with a correct
    > one? In particular, I am most curious to know if I am right about NT1
    > being the same thing as NTLMv1. If it is, then what is NTLMv2?

    The full story can be found on http://davenport.sourceforge.net/ntlm.html.

    But beware, this is not a particularly easy read :-)

    Volker

  5. Re: [Samba] Samba vs Microsoft Logon Protocols

    On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 10:01 -0400, Server Gremlin wrote:
    > If my "mapping" of the notes in the smb.conf man page to the Microsoft
    > jargon is incorrect, then could someone please provide me with a correct
    > one? In particular, I am most curious to know if I am right about NT1
    > being the same thing as NTLMv1. If it is, then what is NTLMv2?

    Did you look in source/smbd/negprot.c as indicated by the documentation?

    > >> I am trying to figure out how the different values for "max
    > >> protocol" and "min protocol" (as seen in the smb.conf man page under the
    > >> "max protocol" section) correlate to the Microsoft jargon for the

    NT1: Current up to date version of the protocol.

    I think you are confusing authentication mechanisms and protocol levels.
    NTLMv2 is an authentication mechanism, as are NTLMv1, LANMAN, and plain
    text. These aren't protocol levels; or in some cases an authentication
    method and a protocol level share the same name.

    > >> different logon protocols. Here is what I've determined. Could some
    > >> please verify this for me?
    > >> Samba Microsoft
    > >> CORE ??? (Something really old that I don't care about)
    > >> COREPLUS ??? (Something really old that I don't care about)
    > >> LANMAN LAN Manager (LM)
    > >> LANMAN2 LAN Manager (LM)
    > >> NT1 NTLMv1
    > >> ** Not Supported NTLMv2

    > > Wrong, Samba support NTMLv2. There is even an NTLMv2 section in the
    > > documentation.
    > > http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/....html#id380577

    --
    Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
    Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com
    Developer - http://www.opengroupware.org

  6. Re: [Samba] Samba vs Microsoft Logon Protocols

    Volker Lendecke wrote:
    > On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 10:01:40AM -0400, Server Gremlin wrote:
    >
    >> If my "mapping" of the notes in the smb.conf man page to the Microsoft
    >> jargon is incorrect, then could someone please provide me with a correct
    >> one? In particular, I am most curious to know if I am right about NT1
    >> being the same thing as NTLMv1. If it is, then what is NTLMv2?
    >>

    > The full story can be found on http://davenport.sourceforge.net/ntlm.html.
    >
    > But beware, this is not a particularly easy read :-)
    >
    > Volker

    Bring the pain!!! Thanks, love it. That looks like a wealth of great
    information if I can manage to grasp it. I'd still like a simple answer
    to "Is NT1 going to make my Samba server use NTLMv1, NTLMv2, or what?"
    if anyone knows.

    Thanks,
    - SG

  7. Re: [Samba] Samba vs Microsoft Logon Protocols

    On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 10:29:09AM -0400, Server Gremlin wrote:
    > Volker Lendecke wrote:
    > >On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 10:01:40AM -0400, Server Gremlin wrote:
    > >
    > >>If my "mapping" of the notes in the smb.conf man page to the Microsoft
    > >>jargon is incorrect, then could someone please provide me with a correct
    > >>one? In particular, I am most curious to know if I am right about NT1
    > >>being the same thing as NTLMv1. If it is, then what is NTLMv2?
    > >>

    > >The full story can be found on http://davenport.sourceforge.net/ntlm.html.
    > >
    > >But beware, this is not a particularly easy read :-)
    > >
    > >Volker
    > >

    > Bring the pain!!! Thanks, love it. That looks like a wealth of great
    > information if I can manage to grasp it. I'd still like a simple answer
    > to "Is NT1 going to make my Samba server use NTLMv1, NTLMv2, or what?"
    > if anyone knows.

    The SMB protocol dialects and the authentication protocols are somewhat
    orthogonal. The mapping you are trying to make simply does not make
    sense.

    Simo.