[Samba] VFAT filesystem and large files - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] VFAT filesystem and large files - Samba ; Hello I have used samba for many years, and it worked great (thanks!). Anyway, I recently decided to add a USB drive to the server. Currently running 2.6.29.2 linux kernel, debian etch. samba version 3.0.24 The USB drive is VFAT ...

  1. [Samba] VFAT filesystem and large files

    Hello
    I have used samba for many years, and it worked great (thanks!).
    Anyway, I recently decided to add a USB drive to the server.
    Currently running 2.6.29.2 linux kernel, debian etch.
    samba version 3.0.24
    The USB drive is VFAT

    I am able to write small files remotely to the USB drive (a few Kb, 10's of Kb) without a problem.
    However, whenever I try to write something "larger" (like 1 Mb), the client machine "freezes" for a
    while (about 1 minute or so), then returns an error saying the file could not be written.
    However, if I look at the share under which the USB drive is mounted, a file exist, however, it is
    all "0"'s.
    If I log onto the server with ssh, i can cp large files from ext3 drive to the VFAT USB drive
    without problems.

    I found a post about this somewhere (I can't seem to find it again), which said this was a problem
    with the VFAT code, not samba.

    I was wondering, is this is the case? is the is a work-around? Basically, is there a way to write
    large files via samba to a VFAT USB drive?

    thanks

    bye - ted

  2. Re: [Samba] VFAT filesystem and large files

    On 9/22/07, t-wynnychenko@northwestern.edu
    wrote:
    > Hello
    > I have used samba for many years, and it worked great (thanks!).
    > Anyway, I recently decided to add a USB drive to the server.
    > Currently running 2.6.29.2 linux kernel, debian etch.
    > samba version 3.0.24
    > The USB drive is VFAT
    >
    > I am able to write small files remotely to the USB drive (a few Kb, 10's of Kb) without a problem.
    > However, whenever I try to write something "larger" (like 1 Mb), the client machine "freezes" for a
    > while (about 1 minute or so), then returns an error saying the file could not be written.
    > However, if I look at the share under which the USB drive is mounted, a file exist, however, it is
    > all "0"'s.
    > If I log onto the server with ssh, i can cp large files from ext3 drive to the VFAT USB drive
    > without problems.
    >
    > I found a post about this somewhere (I can't seem to find it again), which said this was a problem
    > with the VFAT code, not samba.
    >
    > I was wondering, is this is the case? is the is a work-around? Basically, is there a way to write
    > large files via samba to a VFAT USB drive?

    Well, since it works via SSH, it would seem like a weird conclusion
    the problem lies with the file system. Samba is only a userspace
    program like cp.

    That said: vfat means Pain! PAIN!! *PAIN!!!*

    The design of the FAT files ystem is maybe 20 or 25 years old. It was
    simple and perfect in the days when the average computer had 20 MB
    hard drives with 50 files on them. It is not scalable. It is not
    suitable for large file systems (and nowadays every new computer comes
    with them). It is not suitable for large files. Besides, it's
    unreliable and slow. If you're hooking the drive to a Samba server
    anyway, just reformat it with a real file system, like ext3.

    --
    Frank Van Damme

    A: Because it destroys the flow of the conversation
    Q: Why is it bad?
    A: No, it's bad.
    Q: Should I top post in replies to mails or on usenet?

  3. Re: [Samba] VFAT filesystem and large files

    t-wynnychenko@northwestern.edu wrote:

    > I found a post about this somewhere (I can't seem to find it again), which said this was a problem
    > with the VFAT code, not samba.
    >
    > I was wondering, is this is the case? is the is a work-around? Basically, is there a way to write
    > large files via samba to a VFAT USB drive?
    >
    > thanks

    Hmm, I'm sorry, I don't have any great insights into this problem... I
    was wondering, however, if you might have some error message in your
    dmesg log of the server when the error occurs? that might be helpful.

    btw, usually, and people say large files, they are talking about 2G, or
    at least several hundred MB. I think if this is supported at all, you
    should be getting more than your 1 KB

  4. RE: [Samba] VFAT filesystem and large files

    From: Rashkae

    Hmm, I'm sorry, I don't have any great insights into this problem... I
    was wondering, however, if you might have some error message in your
    dmesg log of the server when the error occurs? that might be helpful.

    ---

    Hello - I was away for a few days and could not immediately reply.
    Anyway. The partition the usb drive into 2 is a good idea, and I may end up
    doing that.
    However, I was wondering if there is any more info regarding the original
    question.
    I see no error messages in dmesg, and samba.log only records connections
    being opened and closed (no errors).
    When I try to copy (say) 223 MB file, after about 1-2 minutes, i get a "The
    specified network name is no longer available" message from win2K, and a
    file of 223 MB appears on the network USB/VFAT drive filled with zero's (0).
    It seems that this (from the prior posts in 2006) -
    -----
    Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
    Thu Aug 24 16:00:45 GMT 2006

    IIRC our stance is that it's a problem with the
    VFAT driver. This issue has some up before.
    -----
    - is a "old" problem with VFAT. I was basically wondering if there was any
    updated information about it. If not, that's fine too.
    Thanks for the help.
    bye - ted