[Samba] Setting up Print$ share - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Setting up Print$ share - Samba ; The environment is FC5, Samba V3.0.24-4. I'm trying to set up the print$ share. From an XP SP2 client I navigate to the "Printers and Faxes" folder showing from the Samba server. Following the directions from the howto, I right ...

  1. [Samba] Setting up Print$ share

    The environment is FC5, Samba V3.0.24-4. I'm trying to set up the print$
    share.

    From an XP SP2 client I navigate to the "Printers and Faxes" folder
    showing from the Samba server. Following the directions from the howto,
    I right click on one of the printers etc etc.

    The driver does upload to the share, I can see it there on the server,
    but when the APW wizard closes and returns to the printer properties
    box, clicking OK at that point gives the error "Printer settings could
    not be saved. Access is denied". I guess that's when the .tdb databases
    are updated via rpc to finish the installation.

    I'm logged in as root on a PC that is a domain member. Root is a member
    of a group that is mapped to domain admins. In other respects the
    account behaves as administrator.

    Is there some obvious config setting that I have missed?

    Thanks in advance

    Ken

    believed to be clean.

  2. Re: [Samba] Setting up Print$ share

  3. Re: [Samba] Setting up Print$ share

    Ryan Novosielski wrote:

    Thank you for the speedy response. A few more details....

    Extract from /etc/group

    kensnet_users:x:500:kens,joy,trin,vicki
    kensnet_admins:x:501:administrator,root
    kensnet_guests:x:502:

    and
    net groupmap list
    Domain Users (S-1-5-21-2024537342-459999137-2141274792-513) ->
    kensnet_users
    Domain Admins (S-1-5-21-2024537342-459999137-2141274792-512) ->
    kensnet_admins
    Domain Guests (S-1-5-21-2024537342-459999137-2141274792-514) ->
    kensnet_guests

    /etc/samba/drivers is 777 permission while I'm setting this up

    and smb.conf

    #======================= Global Settings
    =====================================
    [global]
    workgroup = KENSNET
    server string = Fedora Core 5 K-Netgate
    netbios name = knetgate
    security = user
    hosts allow = ***.***.***. 127.
    load printers = yes
    printer admin = root, kens, administrator, @kensnet_admins
    printcap name = cups
    show add printer wizard = yes
    printing = cups
    cups options = raw
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 50
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    os level = 64
    domain master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    domain logons = yes
    logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
    wins support = yes
    dns proxy = no
    add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd %u
    add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine -d
    /dev/null -s /bin/false %u
    delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u
    delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/deluser %u %g
    delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
    add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u

    ==============================

    [netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no
    share modes = no

    # Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
    # the default is to use the user's home directory
    [Profiles]
    path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
    browseable = no
    guest ok = yes

    writeable = yes

    # NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to #
    specifically define each individual printer
    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    public = yes
    guest ok = no
    writable = no
    printable = yes
    use client driver = yes
    printer admin = root, kens, administrator

    {{snip a bunch of share definitions}}

    [print$]
    comment = Printer Driver Download Area
    path = /etc/samba/drivers
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    read only = yes
    write list = administrator, kens, root, @kensnet_admins

    Thanks

    Ken

    believed to be clean.

  4. Re: [Samba] Setting up Print$ share

    I've just tried this, again, without any success on a FC6 Samba 3.0.24.7
    system.

    There must be something missing either in my config or the Samba build.
    Do anyone have this working who could share a simple recipe to get it
    going? The obvious work around is to load the drivers into the Windows
    systems, as I have to date. Other than this, Samba is working fine.....

    Thanks

    Ken

    Ken Smith wrote:
> [...]

    > writable = no
    > share modes = no
    >

    > # Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
    > # the default is to use the user's home directory
    > [Profiles]
    > path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
    > browseable = no
    > guest ok = yes
    >
    > writeable = yes
    >

    > # NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to #
    > specifically define each individual printer
    > [printers]
    > comment = All Printers
    > path = /var/spool/samba
    > browseable = no
    > public = yes
    > guest ok = no
    > writable = no
    > printable = yes
    > use client driver = yes
    > printer admin = root, kens, administrator

    believed to be clean.

  5. Re: [Samba] Setting up Print$ share

    Sorry, I've been very busy. I'll detail my setup here -- let's see how
    it differs from yours.

    kens wrote:
    > I've just tried this, again, without any success on a FC6 Samba 3.0.24.7
    > system.
    >
    > There must be something missing either in my config or the Samba build.
    > Do anyone have this working who could share a simple recipe to get it
    > going? The obvious work around is to load the drivers into the Windows
    > systems, as I have to date. Other than this, Samba is working fine.....
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ken
    >

    > Ken Smith wrote:
    >> Ryan Novosielski wrote:

    > See what the logs say... there may be a permissions problem in the
    > actual PATH for these things... I don't know who-all your users map to
    > in UNIX, but there are Samba permissions and the actual UNIX FS
    > permissions to contend with.
    >

    >> Thank you for the speedy response. A few more details....
    >>
    >> Extract from /etc/group
    >>
    >> kensnet_users:x:500:kens,joy,trin,vicki
    >> kensnet_admins:x:501:administrator,root
    >> kensnet_guests:x:502:

    This we don't need to look at on mine, but rest assured I'm in the group
    I mention.

    >> and
    >> net groupmap list
    >> Domain Users (S-1-5-21-2024537342-459999137-2141274792-513) ->
    >> kensnet_users
    >> Domain Admins (S-1-5-21-2024537342-459999137-2141274792-512) ->
    >> kensnet_admins
    >> Domain Guests (S-1-5-21-2024537342-459999137-2141274792-514) ->
    >> kensnet_guests

    This looks the same as mine, essentially:

    Domain Admins (S-1-5-21-2781399532-2025599175-580277851-512) -> lanadm

    >> /etc/samba/drivers is 777 permission while I'm setting this up

    Mine is rwxrwsr-x with the group owner as lanadm. I forget how one
    represents that in octal, actually. :-P

    >> and smb.conf
    >>

    >> #======================= Global Settings
    >> =====================================
    >> [global]
    >> workgroup = KENSNET
    >> server string = Fedora Core 5 K-Netgate
    >> netbios name = knetgate
    >> security = user
    >> hosts allow = ***.***.***. 127.
    >> load printers = yes
    >> printer admin = root, kens, administrator, @kensnet_admins
    >> printcap name = cups
    >> show add printer wizard = yes
    >> printing = cups
    >> cups options = raw
    >> log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    >> max log size = 50
    >> passdb backend = tdbsam
    >> os level = 64
    >> domain master = yes
    >> preferred master = yes
    >> domain logons = yes
    >> logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
    >> wins support = yes
    >> dns proxy = no
    >> add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd %u
    >> add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
    >> add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine -d
    >> /dev/null -s /bin/false %u
    >> delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u
    >> delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/deluser %u %g
    >> delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
    >> add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
    >>

    >> #============================ Share Definitions
    >> ==============================
    >>
    >> [netlogon]
    >> comment = Network Logon Service
    >> path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
    >> guest ok = yes
    >> writable = no
    >> share modes = no
    >>

    >> # Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
    >> # the default is to use the user's home directory
    >> [Profiles]
    >> path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
    >> browseable = no
    >> guest ok = yes
    >>
    >> writeable = yes
    >>

    >> # NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to #
    >> specifically define each individual printer
    >> [printers]
    >> comment = All Printers
    >> path = /var/spool/samba
    >> browseable = no
    >> public = yes
    >> guest ok = no
    >> writable = no
    >> printable = yes
    >> use client driver = yes
    >> printer admin = root, kens, administrator
    >>

    >> {{snip a bunch of share definitions}}
    >>
    >> [print$]
    >> comment = Printer Driver Download Area
    >> path = /etc/samba/drivers
    >> browseable = yes
    >> guest ok = yes
    >> read only = yes
    >> write list = administrator, kens, root, @kensnet_admins

    Mine is:

    [print$]
    path = /etc/opt/samba/printers
    write list = @lanadm root
    guest ok = yes

    ....I suspect that read-only is screwing you up. You can't write to a
    read-only share, can you? You really don't have to worry about anyone
    writing there who should not, since permissions will prevent that. I
    don't recall whether write-list lets you get around read-only, though it
    seems like it might.

    - --