[Samba] Miserable read performance (factor ~60 too slow) - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Miserable read performance (factor ~60 too slow) - Samba ; Hi, I am trying to migrate my files from a Windows XP Pro box to a new server running OpenSuSE 10.2/Linux 2.6.18 (x86_64) and Samba 3.0.25b. The Server is a new Athlon 64 X2 4000+/1GB with two 400GB SATA disks ...

  1. [Samba] Miserable read performance (factor ~60 too slow)

    Hi,

    I am trying to migrate my files from a Windows XP Pro box to a new
    server running OpenSuSE 10.2/Linux 2.6.18 (x86_64) and Samba 3.0.25b.

    The Server is a new Athlon 64 X2 4000+/1GB with two 400GB SATA disks in
    a software RAID1 configuration. The share file system is reiserfs on a
    350GB RAID1 partition.

    I have a small LAN with three PCs on 100MBit Ethernet and a Laptop on
    WLAN on a 4 Port Switch/WLAN/DSL router.

    I am experiencing extremely (an I really mean EXTREMELY) bad
    performance. It is so bad that it can not have anything to do with
    performance "tuning", it must be a configuration error somewhere.

    Doing some comparisons, I find that

    - copying a 700MB file from the CIFS share of the Windows XP box to a
    different Windows PC starts immediately and takes about two minutes.

    - copying the same file via HTTP from the new Samba server takes a
    little more than one minute (10.5 MB/sec).

    - copying the file from the Samba share varies hugely. It can take
    between 90 seconds and literally hours (!).

    - sometimes it goes faster, but almost always the startup time is
    between 20 and 90 seconds, that is the time before the copying even begins.

    - I have found repeatedly that when I am copying a file from the Samba
    share, and it goes extremely slow (estimated time 90 minutes), and I
    start copying a second file (from the same or a different PC), suddenly
    the copying speeds up to "normal" speed.

    ifconfig does not show any collisions or errors, and as I said, copying
    via HTTP is extremely fast.

    The Linux installation is as barebones as I could make it, no X11, no
    firewall (for now), no ZENWorks or AppArmor or anything. I already once
    reinstalled everything from scratch, to no avail.

    Any ideas would be immensely appreciated, as I am seriously considering
    going back to Windows XP ;-)

    Best Regards,

    Arno

    Here is my smb.conf:

    [global]
    workgroup = MSHEIMNETZ
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups
    printcap cache time = 750
    cups options = raw
    map to guest = Bad User
    include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
    logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
    logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
    logon drive = P:
    usershare allow guests = Yes
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c Machine -d
    /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
    domain logons = No
    domain master = No
    security = share
    netbios name = FILESERVER2

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/tmp
    printable = Yes
    create mask = 0600
    browseable = No
    [print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
    write list = @ntadmin root
    force group = ntadmin
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775

    [share]
    comment = share
    path = /share
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes
    browsable = Yes

    --
    Arno Schäfer
    IT-Beratung & Softwareentwicklung

    PHP - Java - Web-Anwendungen
    Linux/Unix - MySQL - Hochverfügbarkeit - Security

    Hainer Trift 38 - 63303 Dreieich
    mailto: arno_schaefer@gmx.de
    Tel. +49-6103-699967 | Mobil +49-171-7939236

  2. Re: [Samba] Miserable read performance (factor ~60 too slow)

    On Thursday 05 July 2007 00:48, Arno Schäfer wrote:
    > - copying a 700MB file from the CIFS share of the Windows XP box to a
    > different Windows PC starts immediately and takes about two minutes.
    >
    > - copying the same file via HTTP from the new Samba server takes a
    > little more than one minute (10.5 MB/sec).
    >
    > - copying the file from the Samba share varies hugely. It can take
    > between 90 seconds and literally hours (!).
    >
    > - sometimes it goes faster, but almost always the startup time is
    > between 20 and 90 seconds, that is the time before the copying even begins.
    >
    > - I have found repeatedly that when I am copying a file from the Samba
    > share, and it goes extremely slow (estimated time 90 minutes), and I
    > start copying a second file (from the same or a different PC), suddenly
    > the copying speeds up to "normal" speed.

    Run tcpdump and watch what is going on the wire. This very likely to give
    more info: you will see retransmits, or data being sent in very small packets,
    or big spans of nothing being sent...

    strace -p can also be useful.
    --
    vda

  3. Re: [Samba] Miserable read performance (factor ~60 too slow)

    Could it be the disk?
    Can you do a:
    hdparm -t /dev/sda

    Then benchmark your XP disk with www.hdtune.com

    HTH
    Oliver

    --
    Oliver Schulze L. | http://tinymailto.com/oliver
    Asuncion - Paraguay | http://www.solojuegos.mobi

  4. Re: [Samba] Miserable read performance (factor ~60 too slow)

    On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Arno Schäfer wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to migrate my files from a Windows XP Pro box to a new server
    > running OpenSuSE 10.2/Linux 2.6.18 (x86_64) and Samba 3.0.25b.
    >
    > The Server is a new Athlon 64 X2 4000+/1GB with two 400GB SATA disks in a
    > software RAID1 configuration. The share file system is reiserfs on a 350GB
    > RAID1 partition.
    >
    > I have a small LAN with three PCs on 100MBit Ethernet and a Laptop on WLAN on
    > a 4 Port Switch/WLAN/DSL router.
    >

    > I am experiencing extremely (an I really mean EXTREMELY) bad performance.It
    > is so bad that it can not have anything to do with performance "tuning", it
    > must be a configuration error somewhere.
    >
    > Doing some comparisons, I find that
    >
    > - copying a 700MB file from the CIFS share of the Windows XP box to a
    > different Windows PC starts immediately and takes about two minutes.
    >
    > - copying the same file via HTTP from the new Samba server takes a little
    > more than one minute (10.5 MB/sec).
    >
    > - copying the file from the Samba share varies hugely. It can take between 90
    > seconds and literally hours (!).
    >
    > - sometimes it goes faster, but almost always the startup time is between20
    > and 90 seconds, that is the time before the copying even begins.
    >
    > - I have found repeatedly that when I am copying a file from the Samba share,
    > and it goes extremely slow (estimated time 90 minutes), and I start copying a
    > second file (from the same or a different PC), suddenly the copying speeds up
    > to "normal" speed.
    >
    > ifconfig does not show any collisions or errors, and as I said, copying via
    > HTTP is extremely fast.
    >
    > The Linux installation is as barebones as I could make it, no X11, no
    > firewall (for now), no ZENWorks or AppArmor or anything. I already once
    > reinstalled everything from scratch, to no avail.
    >
    > Any ideas would be immensely appreciated, as I am seriously considering going
    > back to Windows XP ;-)

    You have an Ethernet duplex mismatch between your server and the switch
    port. Based on the symptoms you describe, your server is probably at full
    duplex and the switch port is at half duplex.

    Andy

  5. Re: [Samba] Miserable read performance (factor ~60 too slow)

    Andy, you're a genius. I tried it with a different card (VIA Rhine
    VT86C100A), and sure enough, it works like a charm.

    It appears that I am not the only one who has had this problem with the
    ASUS onboard ethernet controller (Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express
    Gigabit Ethernet). By now, I have found several other reports with
    similar problems.

    I get the feeling the autonegotiation of that chip is broken. I tried
    putting a switch between the router and the server, but even that does
    not help. Or maybe there is a bug in the Linux device driver.

    For the record, here is what ethtool says:

    /root> ethtool eth0
    Settings for eth0:
    Supported ports: [ TP ]
    Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    1000baseT/Full
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    1000baseT/Full
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Speed: 100Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Port: Twisted Pair
    PHYAD: 0
    Transceiver: internal
    Auto-negotiation: on
    Supports Wake-on: pumbg
    Wake-on: g
    Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
    Link detected: yes

    Looks normal to me. The router unfortunately does not provide this
    information, and there is no option for changing the port speed.

    thanks again for your help.

    Best Regards,

    Arno