I mounted //winxp/linuxbu onto to a 2nd new mountpoint called
/mnt/buonwinxp. I got same errors as you.

So I first verified if password of the //winxp/linuxbu was wrong. With a
wrong password, I got response as below:

[root@treasury1 root]# smbmount //winxp/linuxbu /mnt/buonwinxp -o
username=linuxbu uid=root gid=root rw

Password : xxxxy

9982: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)

SMB connection failed

Then, I verified using correct password of WinXP to mount //winxp/linuxbu on
/mnt/buonwinxp. I got response as below.

[root@treasury1 root]# smbmount //winxp/linuxbu /mnt/buonwinxp -o
username=linuxbu uid=root gid=root rw

Password : xxxxx:

9983: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - 71

SMB connection failed

Then I checked the number of connections allowed to use the //winxp/linuxbu
share of WinXP.

I had set this for only 1 user. I changed the WinXP settings of the share by
rightclicktaboption User:=[2].>

I got response as below, and mount was now fine.

[root@treasury1 root]# smbmount //winxp/linuxbu /mnt/buonwinxp -o
username=linuxbu uid=root gid=root rw

Password : xxxxx

[root@treasury1 root]#

Maybe, you have exceeded the default setting of 10 users in WinXP.

Mohan Sukumar, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, INDIA