[Samba] Samba topography question joining with ADS? - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Samba topography question joining with ADS? - Samba ; I have the current situation and am trying to figure out which way is the best approach. Our organization has two domains, REMOTE and LOCAL REMOTE - remotely located Active Directory, Windows 2003 LOCAL - local Samba 3.0.x, Linux server ...

  1. [Samba] Samba topography question joining with ADS?

    I have the current situation and am trying to figure out which way is
    the best approach.

    Our organization has two domains, REMOTE and LOCAL
    REMOTE - remotely located Active Directory, Windows 2003
    LOCAL - local Samba 3.0.x, Linux server

    I have computer labs and students that would like to login to REMOTE and
    also local accounts that need LOCAL.

    There is no way to have a WinXP station belong to two domains. So...

    If we moved everything onto the REMOTE domain, could Samba be setup with
    tdbsam or LDAP and windbind to authenticate local accounts, with a local
    home directory and local roaming profile while also allowing students to
    login via windbind and connect to their remote home and profile?

    I have tried this but have so far not had any success. I have a
    Kerberos ticket and have joined the Samba machine to REMOTE. I can then
    connect a WINXP station to remote and login. I can even set the home
    directory in AD to the local Samba machine which works.

    What doesn't work.

    1) Local accounts - can't get Samba to authenticate a local account.

    Are local accounts possible in this situation?

    --
    George Farris farrisg@mala.bc.ca
    Malaspina University-College

    As with the rail barons of the past:
    "There is no reason why the computer industry should have to put up
    with 'private standards' any longer. The word 'incompatible' is a
    dirty word. It's time to run those who insist on using it out of the
    business."

  2. Re: [Samba] Samba topography question joining with ADS?