[Samba] Samba with AD Authentication Backend - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Samba with AD Authentication Backend - Samba ; Hello guys, Please help me if you can. Has somebody ever managed to configure Samba PDC to use AD as an authentication backend, i.e, like an ldap backend. I'am trying to build a system where Samba is my PDC and ...

  1. [Samba] Samba with AD Authentication Backend

    Hello guys,

    Please help me if you can. Has somebody ever managed to configure Samba PDC
    to use AD as an authentication backend, i.e, like an ldap backend.

    I'am trying to build a system where Samba is my PDC and I want to
    authenticate AD users in my Samba domain. I do not want to add Samba to AD
    domain, and I can not use an Ldap Server (like OpenLdap).

    Is this possible? What do I need to do?

    Please help me.

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: [Samba] Samba with AD Authentication Backend

    > Please help me if you can. Has somebody ever managed to configure Samba PDC
    > to use AD as an authentication backend, i.e, like an ldap backend.
    > I'am trying to build a system where Samba is my PDC and I want to
    > authenticate AD users in my Samba domain. I do not want to add Samba to AD
    > domain, and I can not use an Ldap Server (like OpenLdap).
    > Is this possible? What do I need to do?

    I doubt it. But you can [I believe, last I knew] that you can establish
    a trust between an AD domain and an NT4 domain (with a Samba PDC). That
    should provide access to domain resources by AD domain users.

  3. Re: [Samba] Samba with AD Authentication Backend

    But why can't I use AD as an LDAP server, since microsoft says it's LDAP
    compatible?

    --
    Nelson Vale

    Critical Links, S.A.
    Parque Industrial de Taveiro, Lote 48
    3045-504 Coimbra
    PORTUGAL

    Tel: +351.239989100
    Fax: +351.239989119
    Web: www.critical-links.com/
    Email: nf-vale@critical-links.com

  4. Re: [Samba] Samba with AD Authentication Backend

    On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 17:46 +0100, xpto 007 wrote:
    > Hello guys,
    >
    > Please help me if you can. Has somebody ever managed to configure Samba PDC
    > to use AD as an authentication backend, i.e, like an ldap backend.
    >
    > I'am trying to build a system where Samba is my PDC and I want to
    > authenticate AD users in my Samba domain. I do not want to add Samba to AD
    > domain, and I can not use an Ldap Server (like OpenLdap).
    >
    > Is this possible? What do I need to do?

    Either Samba is a member of the AD domain (and not a DC itself), or
    Samba is an NT4 compatible DC that possibly trusts the AD domain.

    Andrew Bartlett

    --
    Andrew Bartlett
    http://samba.org/~abartlet/