[Samba] KDC Lookup errors only on ads joins. - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] KDC Lookup errors only on ads joins. - Samba ; I have a RedHat Enterprise 4 server with samba 3.0.25a rpms installed (downloaded from mirror mentioned on samba.org site). I have configured krb5.conf & smb.conf.* I can perform a kinit User@REALM.COM & net ads status -UUser@REALM.COM perfectly fine. But when ...

  1. [Samba] KDC Lookup errors only on ads joins.

    I have a RedHat Enterprise 4 server with samba 3.0.25a rpms installed
    (downloaded from mirror mentioned on samba.org site). I have configured
    krb5.conf & smb.conf.* I can perform a kinit User@REALM.COM & net ads
    status -UUser@REALM.COM perfectly fine. But when attempting to net ads
    join -UUser@REALM.COM, I get an, "error on ads_startup: Cannot resolve
    network address for KDC in requested realm", error.* If there is a KDC lookup
    problem, should it not occur globally ?

  2. Re: [Samba] KDC Lookup errors only on ads joins.

    I can managed a net ads join if I follow the following steps:
    kinit User@REALM.COM
    net ads status
    net ads join

    Only guess that the net ads status ends up causing my crednetials to be cached
    that net ads join makes use of. Just doing a kinit USER@REALM.COM ; net ads
    join, does not work.

    Strange, but it works...
    ~Steve