[Samba] Samba Client with Windows XP share slow performance - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Samba Client with Windows XP share slow performance - Samba ; I'm getting awful performance when trying to write to our new NAS and/or a Windows XP share. In short, I'm getting just under 1/2 the speed that I can get if I mount a Linux share on the Windows box ...

  1. [Samba] Samba Client with Windows XP share slow performance

    I'm getting awful performance when trying to write to our new NAS and/or a
    Windows XP share. In short, I'm getting just under 1/2 the speed that I
    can get if I mount a Linux share on the Windows box and send the files
    that way. Here are the test results:

    >From XP to Linux via FTP 47MB/sec
    >From XP to Linux via SAMBA 40MB/sec
    >From Linux to XP via CIFS 21MB/sec

    Now, this is much better than the performance I am getting from our SuSE
    9.3 stock servers using the 2.6.5 kernel. This can only get about
    10MB/sec. We have tried many different socket options with little to show
    for the effort.7

    Is this to be expected? Is there no way to get the performance the same?

    Thank you in advance for your help.

    Will

    believed to be clean.

  2. Re: [Samba] Samba Client with Windows XP share slow performance

    On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 03:22:34PM -0400, aragonx@dcsnow.com wrote:
    > I'm getting awful performance when trying to write to our new NAS and/or a
    > Windows XP share. In short, I'm getting just under 1/2 the speed that I
    > can get if I mount a Linux share on the Windows box and send the files
    > that way. Here are the test results:
    >
    > >From XP to Linux via FTP 47MB/sec
    > >From XP to Linux via SAMBA 40MB/sec
    > >From Linux to XP via CIFS 21MB/sec

    > Now, this is much better than the performance I am getting from our SuSE
    > 9.3 stock servers using the 2.6.5 kernel. This can only get about
    > 10MB/sec. We have tried many different socket options with little to show
    > for the effort.7

    More details on the Linux mount please ?

    Jeremy.

  3. Re: [Samba] Samba Client with Windows XP share slow performance

    > On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 03:22:34PM -0400, aragonx@dcsnow.com wrote:
    >> I'm getting awful performance when trying to write to our new NAS and/or
    >> Windows XP share. In short, I'm getting just under 1/2 the speed that I
    >> can get if I mount a Linux share on the Windows box and send the files
    >> that way. Here are the test results:
    >>
    >> >From XP to Linux via FTP 47MB/sec
    >> >From XP to Linux via SAMBA 40MB/sec
    >> >From Linux to XP via CIFS 21MB/sec

    >> Now, this is much better than the performance I am getting from our SuSE
    >> 9.3 stock servers using the 2.6.5 kernel. This can only get about
    >> 10MB/sec. We have tried many different socket options with little to
    >> show
    >> for the effort.7

    > More details on the Linux mount please ?

    Well, I'm not exactly sure what information would be useful. Here is some
    things I can think of.

    I simply did a mount -t cifs //windowsxpmachine/xfertest /home/xfertest

    Here is some more machine information. Please let me know if this is not
    what is needed.

    uname -a
    Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.20-1.2925.fc6 #1 SMP Sat Mar 10 19:15:16
    EST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

    modinfo cifs.ko
    filename: cifs.ko
    version: 1.47
    Specification e.g. Samba and Windows
    license: GPL
    author: Steve French
    srcversion: 1F9612E98A836FE3CFEA30A
    depends:
    vermagic: 2.6.20-1.2925.fc6 SMP mod_unload 686 4KSTACKS
    parm: CIFSMaxBufSize:Network buffer size (not including header).
    Default: 16384 Range: 8192 to 130048 (int)
    parm: cifs_min_rcv:Network buffers in pool. Default: 4 Range: 1
    to 64 (int)
    parm: cifs_min_small:Small network buffers in pool. Default: 30
    Range: 2 to 256 (int)
    parm: cifs_max_pending:Simultaneous requests to server. Default:
    50 Range: 2 to 256 (int)

    rpm -qa|grep samba
    system-config-samba-1.2.35-1.1
    samba-3.0.24-1.fc6
    samba-common-3.0.24-1.fc6
    samba-client-3.0.24-1.fc6

    free
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 2070904 427736 1643168 0 20632 284708
    -/+ buffers/cache: 122396 1948508
    Swap: 2031608 0 2031608

    believed to be clean.