[Samba] Profile deleted - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Profile deleted - Samba ; Hi, strange things or normal behavior? We have a samba domain and "Domain-guests" accounts that are limited to log on to only some machines, on this machines the "Domain-guests" are in the lokal admin group. All data inc settings will ...

  1. [Samba] Profile deleted

    Hi,
    strange things or normal behavior? We have a samba domain and
    "Domain-guests" accounts that are limited to log on to only some
    machines, on this machines the "Domain-guests" are in the lokal admin
    group.
    All data inc settings will be deleted if you add this user to the local
    admin group (if the user was logged in one time before...).
    Here the steps how you can rebuild this behavior:
    1.) log on with an "Domain-guests" account and make some settings (and
    store some data under "Documents and Settings")
    2.) log off and add this "Domain-guests" account to the local admin
    group
    3.) log on again with this "Domain-guests" account -> all data and all
    settings are gone. I was not able to find any of the files stored in
    this account (under "Documents and Settings") and all settings are set
    to the default.

    Is this normal?

    If the account is a "Domain-user" (or higher) you can add and delete
    them from the local admin group without the lost of data. So this only
    appears to the "Domain-guests".
    Maybe that is one of the special hidden features from M$ which let the
    people go berserk....

    greetings and thanks for any hints!

    mario gzuk

  2. Re: [Samba] Profile deleted - additional info

    Hi again,
    no one knows something about this behavior? The same happens if you add
    the "Domain-guest" account to an other local group.

    I will be happy if some one can point me to some documentation or give
    some hints about that. I have searched the internet but with this
    keywords you find million of pages .... with zero solutions.

    greetings mario

    Am Montag, den 18.06.2007, 11:39 +0200 schrieb Mario Gzuk:
    > Hi,
    > strange things or normal behavior? We have a samba domain and
    > "Domain-guests" accounts that are limited to log on to only some
    > machines, on this machines the "Domain-guests" are in the lokal admin
    > group.
    > All data inc settings will be deleted if you add this user to the local
    > admin group (if the user was logged in one time before...).
    > Here the steps how you can rebuild this behavior:
    > 1.) log on with an "Domain-guests" account and make some settings (and
    > store some data under "Documents and Settings")
    > 2.) log off and add this "Domain-guests" account to the local admin
    > group
    > 3.) log on again with this "Domain-guests" account -> all data and all
    > settings are gone. I was not able to find any of the files stored in
    > this account (under "Documents and Settings") and all settings are set
    > to the default.
    >
    > Is this normal?
    >
    > If the account is a "Domain-user" (or higher) you can add and delete
    > them from the local admin group without the lost of data. So this only
    > appears to the "Domain-guests".
    > Maybe that is one of the special hidden features from M$ which let the
    > people go berserk....
    >
    > greetings and thanks for any hints!
    >
    > mario gzuk

  3. Re: [Samba] Profile deleted - problem NOT solved

    Hi,
    no hints, no solution. So we take it like all other M$ problems: living
    with it is easier than try to find why this happens.

    Thank you for your advertence.

    greetings mario gzuk

    Am Mittwoch, den 20.06.2007, 10:50 +0200 schrieb Mario Gzuk:
    > Hi again,
    > no one knows something about this behavior? The same happens if you add
    > the "Domain-guest" account to an other local group.
    >
    > I will be happy if some one can point me to some documentation or give
    > some hints about that. I have searched the internet but with this
    > keywords you find million of pages .... with zero solutions.
    >
    > greetings mario
    >

    > Am Montag, den 18.06.2007, 11:39 +0200 schrieb Mario Gzuk:
    > > Hi,
    > > strange things or normal behavior? We have a samba domain and
    > > "Domain-guests" accounts that are limited to log on to only some
    > > machines, on this machines the "Domain-guests" are in the lokal admin
    > > group.
    > > All data inc settings will be deleted if you add this user to the local
    > > admin group (if the user was logged in one time before...).
    > > Here the steps how you can rebuild this behavior:
    > > 1.) log on with an "Domain-guests" account and make some settings (and
    > > store some data under "Documents and Settings")
    > > 2.) log off and add this "Domain-guests" account to the local admin
    > > group
    > > 3.) log on again with this "Domain-guests" account -> all data and all
    > > settings are gone. I was not able to find any of the files stored in
    > > this account (under "Documents and Settings") and all settings are set
    > > to the default.
    > >
    > > Is this normal?
    > >
    > > If the account is a "Domain-user" (or higher) you can add and delete
    > > them from the local admin group without the lost of data. So this only
    > > appears to the "Domain-guests".
    > > Maybe that is one of the special hidden features from M$ which let the
    > > people go berserk....
    > >
    > > greetings and thanks for any hints!
    > >
    > > mario gzuk

  4. [Samba] Re: Profile deleted

    Mario Gzuk wrote:

    > Hi,
    > strange things or normal behavior? We have a samba domain and
    > "Domain-guests" accounts that are limited to log on to only some
    > machines, on this machines the "Domain-guests" are in the lokal admin
    > group.

    > 3.) log on again with this "Domain-guests" account -> all data and all
    > settings are gone. I was not able to find any of the files stored in
    > this account (under "Documents and Settings") and all settings are set
    > to the default.
    >
    > Is this normal?

    Yes, Guest account profiles are not persistent (ie, reset on every login).

    -- Rex

  5. Re: [Samba] Re: Profile deleted

    Am Freitag, den 22.06.2007, 06:49 -0500 schrieb Rex Dieter:
    > Mario Gzuk wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > strange things or normal behavior? We have a samba domain and
    > > "Domain-guests" accounts that are limited to log on to only some
    > > machines, on this machines the "Domain-guests" are in the lokal admin
    > > group.

    > > 3.) log on again with this "Domain-guests" account -> all data and all
    > > settings are gone. I was not able to find any of the files stored in
    > > this account (under "Documents and Settings") and all settings are set
    > > to the default.
    > >
    > > Is this normal?

    > Yes, Guest account profiles are not persistent (ie, reset on every login).
    >
    > -- Rex

    No, the profile is persistent until you add this account to a local
    group. The M$ documentation says the same as you, but that is not
    correct for domain-guests, so this behavior is completely strange....

    But dont think about that any more. It is as it is, and I dont think
    that M$ will correct such damn things....

    greetz mario

  6. Re: [Samba] Re: Profile deleted

    Mario Gzuk wrote:
    > Am Freitag, den 22.06.2007, 06:49 -0500 schrieb Rex Dieter:

    >>> Is this normal?

    >> Yes, Guest account profiles are not persistent (ie, reset on every login).

    > No, the profile is persistent until you add this account to a local
    > group. The M$ documentation says the same as you, but that is not
    > correct for domain-guests, so this behavior is completely strange....

    For machines that are part of a domain, Domain Guests are (by default)
    members of the local Guests group, and for *me*, Domain Guest profiles
    get wiped. Dunno why/how it's different for you.

    -- Rex