[Samba] decode_pw_buffer: incorrect password length - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] decode_pw_buffer: incorrect password length - Samba ; Hello list I have a problem that i am confronting for long time and i dont get a result.. We use samba 3.0.24 (also tried other versions) with openldap and the smbldap-tools on Suse Linux SLES9. We use openldap for ...

  1. [Samba] decode_pw_buffer: incorrect password length

    Hello list

    I have a problem that i am confronting for long time and i dont get a result..
    We use samba 3.0.24 (also tried other versions) with openldap and the
    smbldap-tools on Suse Linux SLES9.
    We use openldap for user authentikation for samba (objectClass:
    sambaSamAccount) and other application like email, apache, squid
    (objectClass: shadowAccount and objectClass: posixAccount).

    My scope is to have syncroniced the passwords and the expire-date for
    samba- and shadow-Accounts.

    My problem: when a user changes his password from a windows-client
    (xp) he get an error like "The User name or old password is incorrect.
    Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case."

    The strange is that the server *did* change both Linux and Windows
    passwords and the shadowLastChange and sambaPwdLastSet attributes also.
    So all is ok anly i get this "stupid" message.

    In the samba-logs i see this:

    [2007/06/18 08:59:08, 0] libsmb/smbencrypt.c:decode_pw_buffer(520)
    decode_pw_buffer: incorrect password length (-1582166334).
    [2007/06/18 08:59:08, 0] libsmb/smbencrypt.c:decode_pw_buffer(521)
    decode_pw_buffer: check that 'encrypt passwords = yes'

    in my smb.conf i have : unix password sync = Yes

    Is this a bug ?
    Other tips?

    Thank you in advanced
    luis

  2. Re: [Samba] decode_pw_buffer: incorrect password length

    On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 10:54 +0200, alois blasbichler wrote:
    > Hello list
    >
    > I have a problem that i am confronting for long time and i dont get a result.
    > We use samba 3.0.24 (also tried other versions) with openldap and the
    > smbldap-tools on Suse Linux SLES9.
    > We use openldap for user authentikation for samba (objectClass:
    > sambaSamAccount) and other application like email, apache, squid
    > (objectClass: shadowAccount and objectClass: posixAccount).
    >
    > My scope is to have syncroniced the passwords and the expire-date for
    > samba- and shadow-Accounts.
    >
    > My problem: when a user changes his password from a windows-client
    > (xp) he get an error like "The User name or old password is incorrect.
    > Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case."
    >
    > The strange is that the server *did* change both Linux and Windows
    > passwords and the shadowLastChange and sambaPwdLastSet attributes also.
    > So all is ok anly i get this "stupid" message.

    So, do you have a problem or not?

    > In the samba-logs i see this:
    >
    > [2007/06/18 08:59:08, 0] libsmb/smbencrypt.c:decode_pw_buffer(520)
    > decode_pw_buffer: incorrect password length (-1582166334).
    > [2007/06/18 08:59:08, 0] libsmb/smbencrypt.c:decode_pw_buffer(521)
    > decode_pw_buffer: check that 'encrypt passwords = yes'
    >
    > in my smb.conf i have : unix password sync = Yes
    >
    > Is this a bug ?

    These messages indicate that the old password was incorrect, and as such
    we have been unable to decrypt the new one (the new password is passed
    encrypted with the old one).

    Andrew Bartlett

    --
    Andrew Bartlett
    http://samba.org/~abartlet/

  3. Re: [Samba] decode_pw_buffer: incorrect password length

    >> I have a problem that i am confronting for long time and i dont get
    >> a result.
    >> We use samba 3.0.24 (also tried other versions) with openldap and the
    >> smbldap-tools on Suse Linux SLES9.
    >> We use openldap for user authentikation for samba (objectClass:
    >> sambaSamAccount) and other application like email, apache, squid
    >> (objectClass: shadowAccount and objectClass: posixAccount).
    >>
    >> My scope is to have syncroniced the passwords and the expire-date for
    >> samba- and shadow-Accounts.
    >>
    >> My problem: when a user changes his password from a windows-client
    >> (xp) he get an error like "The User name or old password is incorrect.
    >> Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case."
    >>
    >> The strange is that the server *did* change both Linux and Windows
    >> passwords and the shadowLastChange and sambaPwdLastSet attributes also.
    >> So all is ok anly i get this "stupid" message.

    > So, do you have a problem or not?

    Hello
    thank you for the answer.

    Yes my problem is that i get this error message on the windows clinet
    when i change the password and so i cant use this apsswort change
    method.

    >> [2007/06/18 08:59:08, 0] libsmb/smbencrypt.c:decode_pw_buffer(520)
    >> decode_pw_buffer: incorrect password length (-1582166334).
    >> [2007/06/18 08:59:08, 0] libsmb/smbencrypt.c:decode_pw_buffer(521)
    >> decode_pw_buffer: check that 'encrypt passwords = yes'
    >>
    >> in my smb.conf i have : unix password sync = Yes
    >>
    >> Is this a bug ?

    > These messages indicate that the old password was incorrect, and as such
    > we have been unable to decrypt the new one (the new password is passed
    > encrypted with the old one).

    Wath these meens for me ? How can i bypass this problem ?
    When i execute the script "smbldap-passwd" like root on the shell i
    dont get an error in the logfile.

    luis

  4. Re: [Samba] decode_pw_buffer: incorrect password length

    alois blasbichler escribió:

    > In the samba-logs i see this:
    >
    > [2007/06/18 08:59:08, 0] libsmb/smbencrypt.c:decode_pw_buffer(520)
    > decode_pw_buffer: incorrect password length (-1582166334).
    > [2007/06/18 08:59:08, 0] libsmb/smbencrypt.c:decode_pw_buffer(521)
    > decode_pw_buffer: check that 'encrypt passwords = yes'
    >
    > in my smb.conf i have : unix password sync = Yes

    I have a similar setup with thi settings:

    pam password change = no
    encrypt passwords = true
    unix password sync = no
    ldap password sync = yes

    It works well, since my users are all ldap+samba based. The 'ldap password sync' updates
    both passwords well. See the manpage of smb.conf for info about this setting.

    Regards.