[Samba] Problems adding a printer share - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Problems adding a printer share - Samba ; I have added an HP Deskjet 600 to my debian etch system, using CUPS. It is working fine. I would like to set it up so that I can occassionally print to it from a Windows 9x machine. This is ...

  1. [Samba] Problems adding a printer share

    I have added an HP Deskjet 600 to my debian etch system, using CUPS. It is
    working fine.

    I would like to set it up so that I can occassionally print to it from a
    Windows 9x machine. This is where I seem to be having trouble.

    I consulted the HOW-TO docs on the samba site, but they are quite detailed
    and confusing (for me).

    I don't want to do anything that will cause the printer to work for the Win9x
    machine, but stop working properly on the debian machine. I am probably
    wrong, but what little I did understand of the HOW-TO gave me the
    impression that it might indeed cause problems.

    I really need something that is more like "A Dummy's Guide to SAMBA and
    Print Shares." The Win9x machine can currently see/access the other shares
    defined on the debian box. Is there an "dummy's" way to set the printer
    share up so that my Win9x machine can see it?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: [Samba] Problems adding a printer share

    You don't need Samba to print. As long as you set up your CUPS
    configuration to allow other local addresses to print to the server, you
    can print to it from windows using
    http://:631/printers/, where you replace
    and with the appropriate values.
    can also be an IP address.

    If this works, you can also (but don't have to) set up the printer to be
    shared via Samba by adding a section to your Samba configuration. I
    recommend that you use SWAT for this - it makes it easy.

    Michael Powell wrote:
    > I have added an HP Deskjet 600 to my debian etch system, using CUPS. It is
    > working fine.
    >
    > I would like to set it up so that I can occassionally print to it from a
    > Windows 9x machine. This is where I seem to be having trouble.
    >
    > I consulted the HOW-TO docs on the samba site, but they are quite detailed
    > and confusing (for me).
    >
    > I don't want to do anything that will cause the printer to work for the Win9x
    > machine, but stop working properly on the debian machine. I am probably
    > wrong, but what little I did understand of the HOW-TO gave me the
    > impression that it might indeed cause problems.
    >
    > I really need something that is more like "A Dummy's Guide to SAMBA and
    > Print Shares." The Win9x machine can currently see/access the other shares
    > defined on the debian box. Is there an "dummy's" way to set the printer
    > share up so that my Win9x machine can see it?
    >
    > Thanks!

  3. Re: [Samba] Problems adding a printer share

    It's very important that your CUPS configuration allows printing from
    your local network. If not, Windows won't see it. Check your
    /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to make sure it allows printing from other than
    localhost.

    Michael Powell wrote:
    > Gary,
    > Thanks! I think there must be slightly more to it, though. If I give
    > it that address (or anything like it), Win98 reports that the printer is
    > offline & that I can install it but can't print to it until it returns
    > online. Since it is online, that tells me something is not quite
    > right.
    >
    > If I type that address into a web browser on the Windows machine, it
    > does show up. But there is something about it that the Windows print
    > manager does not like.
    >
    > I tried it as you have it typed below, as well as:
    > \\server:631\printers\printername
    >
    > Windows does not like either one.
    >

    > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:47:33 -0400
    > Gary Dale wrote:
    >

    >> You don't need Samba to print. As long as you set up your CUPS
    >> configuration to allow other local addresses to print to the server, you
    >> can print to it from windows using
    >> http://:631/printers/, where you replace
    >> and with the appropriate values.
    >> can also be an IP address.
    >>
    >> If this works, you can also (but don't have to) set up the printer to be
    >> shared via Samba by adding a section to your Samba configuration. I
    >> recommend that you use SWAT for this - it makes it easy.
    >>

    >> --

  4. Re: [Samba] Problems adding a printer share

    Not an expert on CUPS either, but my server setup has

    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny From All
    Allow From 127.0.0.1
    Allow From 192.168.2.*

    where my local network is in the 192.168.2 subnet.

    I also have a
    Port 631
    line in the .conf file. I don't know if it's necessary but you could try
    adding it.

    And after making the changes, be sure to restart CUPS.

    Michael Powell wrote:
    > Looking at localhost:631, it looks like it should be all set up. Still,
    > I went ahead and changed the conf file. The values with the '#' are what it
    > said, and the uncommented values are what I set it to. I would think that "all"
    > would be the least permissive, but Windows still thinks the printer is offline.
    >
    > I also checked the printers.conf, and the printer in question is set as Share
    > Yes.
    >
    > # Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
    > Browsing On
    > BrowseOrder allow,deny
    > #BrowseAllow @LOCAL
    > #BrowseAddress @LOCAL
    > BrowseAllow all
    > BrowseAddress all
    > DefaultAuthType Basic
    >
    > # Allow shared printing...
    > Order allow,deny
    > # Allow @LOCAL
    > Allow all
    >

    > On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 17:02:14 -0400
    > Gary Dale wrote:
    >

    >> It's very important that your CUPS configuration allows printing from
    >> your local network. If not, Windows won't see it. Check your
    >> /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to make sure it allows printing from other than
    >> localhost.
    >>

    >> Michael Powell wrote:
    >>
    >>> Gary,
    >>> Thanks! I think there must be slightly more to it, though. If I give
    >>> it that address (or anything like it), Win98 reports that the printer is
    >>> offline & that I can install it but can't print to it until it returns
    >>> online. Since it is online, that tells me something is not quite
    >>> right.
    >>>
    >>> If I type that address into a web browser on the Windows machine, it
    >>> does show up. But there is something about it that the Windows print
    >>> manager does not like.
    >>>
    >>> I tried it as you have it typed below, as well as:
    >>> \\server:631\printers\printername
    >>>
    >>> Windows does not like either one.

    >> --

  5. Re: Re: [Samba] Problems adding a printer share

    Also--

    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny From All
    Allow From 127.0.0.1
    Allow From 192.168.2.*

    AuthType None

    Dale

    Gary Dale wrote:
    > Not an expert on CUPS either, but my server setup has
    >
    > Order Deny,Allow
    > Deny From All
    > Allow From 127.0.0.1
    > Allow From 192.168.2.*
    >

    > where my local network is in the 192.168.2 subnet.
    >
    > I also have a
    > Port 631
    > line in the .conf file. I don't know if it's necessary but you could
    > try adding it.
    >
    > And after making the changes, be sure to restart CUPS.
    >

    > Michael Powell wrote:
    >> Looking at localhost:631, it looks like it should be all set up. Still,
    >> I went ahead and changed the conf file. The values with the '#' are
    >> what it
    >> said, and the uncommented values are what I set it to. I would think
    >> that "all"
    >> would be the least permissive, but Windows still thinks the printer
    >> is offline.
    >>
    >> I also checked the printers.conf, and the printer in question is set
    >> as Share
    >> Yes.
    >>
    >> # Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
    >> Browsing On
    >> BrowseOrder allow,deny
    >> #BrowseAllow @LOCAL
    >> #BrowseAddress @LOCAL
    >> BrowseAllow all
    >> BrowseAddress all
    >> DefaultAuthType Basic
    >>
    >> # Allow shared printing...
    >> Order allow,deny
    >> # Allow @LOCAL
    >> Allow all
    >>

    >> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 17:02:14 -0400
    >> Gary Dale wrote:
    >>

    >>> It's very important that your CUPS configuration allows printing
    >>> from your local network. If not, Windows won't see it. Check your
    >>> /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to make sure it allows printing from other than
    >>> localhost.

  6. Re: [Samba] Problems adding a printer share

    Here is my whole cupsd.conf, as it stands now. I've restarted CUPS, and
    Windows still can't find the printer (it does find a pdf-printer, though).

    # Show general information in error_log.
    LogLevel info
    SystemGroup lpadmin
    # Allow remote access
    Port 631
    Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
    # Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
    Browsing On
    BrowseOrder allow,deny
    #BrowseAllow @LOCAL
    #BrowseAddress @LOCAL
    BrowseAllow From 127.0.0.1
    BrowseAllow From 192.168.0.*
    BrowseAddress 255.255.255.0:631
    DefaultAuthType Basic

    # Allow shared printing...
    Order deny,allow
    # Allow @LOCAL
    Deny From All
    Allow From 127.0.0.1
    Allow From 192.168.0.*
    AuthType None

    # Allow shared printing...
    Order deny,allow
    Deny From All
    Allow From 127.0.0.1
    Allow From 192.168.0.*
    AuthType None

    Encryption Required
    # Restrict access to the admin pages...
    Order allow,deny
    Allow localhost

    AuthType Basic
    Require user @SYSTEM
    # Restrict access to the configuration files...
    Order allow,deny
    Allow localhost

    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow

    AuthType Basic
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow

    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow

    # Only the owner or an administrator can cancel a job...

    Order deny,allow
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM

    Order deny,allow

    Printcap /var/run/cups/printcap

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:47:08 -0500
    Dale Schroeder wrote:

    > Also--
    >

    > Order Deny,Allow
    > Deny From All
    > Allow From 127.0.0.1
    > Allow From 192.168.2.*
    >
    > AuthType None
    >

    > Dale
    >

    > Gary Dale wrote:
    > > Not an expert on CUPS either, but my server setup has
    > >
    > > Order Deny,Allow
    > > Deny From All
    > > Allow From 127.0.0.1
    > > Allow From 192.168.2.*
    > >

    > > where my local network is in the 192.168.2 subnet.
    > >
    > > I also have a
    > > Port 631
    > > line in the .conf file. I don't know if it's necessary but you could
    > > try adding it.
    > >
    > > And after making the changes, be sure to restart CUPS.
    > >

    > > Michael Powell wrote:
    > >> Looking at localhost:631, it looks like it should be all set up. Still,
    > >> I went ahead and changed the conf file. The values with the '#' are
    > >> what it
    > >> said, and the uncommented values are what I set it to. I would think
    > >> that "all"
    > >> would be the least permissive, but Windows still thinks the printer
    > >> is offline.
    > >>
    > >> I also checked the printers.conf, and the printer in question is set
    > >> as Share
    > >> Yes.
    > >>
    > >> # Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
    > >> Browsing On
    > >> BrowseOrder allow,deny
    > >> #BrowseAllow @LOCAL
    > >> #BrowseAddress @LOCAL
    > >> BrowseAllow all
    > >> BrowseAddress all
    > >> DefaultAuthType Basic
    > >>
    > >> # Allow shared printing...
    > >> Order allow,deny
    > >> # Allow @LOCAL
    > >> Allow all

    > --

  7. Re: [Samba] Problems adding a printer share

    On Thursday 21 June 2007, Michael Powell wrote:
    > Windows still can't find the printer

    Win9x needs a patch to be able to print via IPP, see:

    http://www.digitalissues.co.uk/html/os/ms/ipp.html#6

    Once the patch is installed then you can add the printer (a manual process -
    it wont show up in a browse list unless you involve Samba in the process).

    Chris

  8. Re: [Samba] Problems adding a printer share

    Thanks to everyone for their assistance! This turned out to be the final
    hurdle. The MS link is no longer, but as luck would have it, I had a copy of
    the patch. I installed it, and Windows was able to find the printer!

    Thanks again!