[Samba] Quota Question - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Quota Question - Samba ; Hi, I have several Samba servers running on Linux (Debian Etch) machines using 2.6.18 kernel. The Samba shares are all on an XFS filesystem, with user and group quota support. I have three problems/questions: 1. When a user hits their ...

  1. [Samba] Quota Question

    Hi,

    I have several Samba servers running on Linux (Debian Etch) machines
    using 2.6.18 kernel.

    The Samba shares are all on an XFS filesystem, with user and group quota
    support. I have three problems/questions:

    1. When a user hits their quota limit, they get a "disk full" error.

    2. When a user checks the free space of the share, they see the space on
    the entire share, rather than the space left under their quota.

    3. Windows doesn't seem to acknowledge the soft limit at all.

    Only the first item is really a problem (the "disk full" error), as it
    is a source of confusion, both for the user and for the helpdesk.

    Isn't Samba supposed to return a "quota exceeded" message when the user
    has exceeded their quota? If so, why doensn't it?

    I am able to see and set quotas through the Quota tab in Windows, and
    'smbd -b' shows "WITH_QUOTAS", so I assume the package is compiled with
    quota support.

    --
    Mike Alborn
    School District #28 (Quesnel)

  2. Re: [Samba] Quota Question

    Hi Mike,

    maybe your first problem is the same problem we are fighting with here.
    See the "NFS quotas: truncated files without warning" thread. The
    problem we are having happens because the kernel generates the quota
    error _not_ while writing the file, but when _closing_ it. Samba
    correctly propagates the error, but windows clients ignore it at that
    moment.

    In the thread there's a patch that might be useful for you.

    kind regards,

    En/na Mike Alborn ha escrit:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have several Samba servers running on Linux (Debian Etch) machines
    > using 2.6.18 kernel.
    >
    > The Samba shares are all on an XFS filesystem, with user and group quota
    > support. I have three problems/questions:
    >
    > 1. When a user hits their quota limit, they get a "disk full" error.
    >
    > 2. When a user checks the free space of the share, they see the space on
    > the entire share, rather than the space left under their quota.
    >
    > 3. Windows doesn't seem to acknowledge the soft limit at all.
    >
    > Only the first item is really a problem (the "disk full" error), as it
    > is a source of confusion, both for the user and for the helpdesk.
    >
    > Isn't Samba supposed to return a "quota exceeded" message when the user
    > has exceeded their quota? If so, why doensn't it?
    >
    > I am able to see and set quotas through the Quota tab in Windows, and
    > 'smbd -b' shows "WITH_QUOTAS", so I assume the package is compiled with
    > quota support.

  3. Re: [Samba] Quota Question

    Hi David,

    Thanks for the quick reply. I'd actually stumbled across the thread
    earlier this morning, and it got me thinking about "strict allocate"

    As soon as I set "strict allocate = yes", Windows began reporting "not
    enough space" instead of "disk full". Also, looking at the properties of
    a share now shows the total and free space remaining under a user's
    quota, rather than the actual space of the share.

    So I'd say that takes care of it for me, and without rebuilding my Samba
    packages.

    --
    Mike Alborn
    School District #28 (Quesnel)

  4. Re: [Samba] Quota Question

    Nice for you then maybe it had something to do with XFS and sparse
    files, then.

    Here we are in the process of patching, building and testing..

    cheers,

    En/na Mike Alborn ha escrit: