[Samba] Shared dirs are empty. Help needed please! - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Shared dirs are empty. Help needed please! - Samba ; Hey fellas. I just installed samba and am having a problem. What I'm trying to achieve is hosting a file server for my lan. I don't want any login/password's to be used or any of that. The server box is ...

  1. [Samba] Shared dirs are empty. Help needed please!

    Hey fellas. I just installed samba and am having a problem. What I'm
    trying to achieve is hosting a file server for my lan. I don't want any
    login/password's to be used or any of that. The server box is running
    Debian linux and the clients are a mix of debian and winxp.

    On the server box I'm mounting the harddrives I want to share like this in
    /etc/fstab:
    /dev/sda1 /storage/sata0 xfs defaults 0 2
    /dev/sdb1 /storage/sata1 xfs defaults 0 2
    /dev/sdc1 /storage/sata2 xfs defaults 0 2
    /dev/sdd1 /storage/sata3 xfs defaults 0 2

    /storage and all subdirs are owned by my file server user login name and are
    chmod'ed with 744.

    Next, I'm sharing them in /etc/samba/smb.conf as follows:
    [global]
    workgroup = MSHOME
    server string = Samba %v on (%L)
    invalid users = root bin daemon adm sync shutdown halt mail news
    uucp operator gopher
    max log size = 1000
    guest ok = yes
    guest only = yes
    browseable = yes
    read only = yes
    force directory mode = 744
    public = yes
    available = yes
    browse list = yes
    null passwords = yes
    security = share

    # so xp and linux dont argue over who's the master browser for the
    network
    local master = no

    # Networking configuration options
    hosts allow = 192.168.1. localhost

    [test]
    comment = testing
    path = /storage/sata2

    Now I try to connect using one of my client boxes by adding an entry into
    the clients /etc/fstab as:
    //Fileserver/test /mnt/site smbfs
    username=pcguest,password=password,uid=pcguest,gid =users,ro

    /mnt/site is owned by the user login I use on that box and chmod'ed to 744.
    After I mount /mnt/site on the client box, I see the sub-dirs I'm hoping to
    see which are physically stored on the server box (/sorage/sata2/*). The
    problem is that all these sub-dirs appear to be empty when they actually
    contain dirs/files. For some reason I'm not able to see the contents of the
    sub-dirs.

    So my question is, what am I doing wrong that's causing me to see only the
    sub-dirs but not their contents? I've done a ton of reading today and still
    haven't found the answer.

    Any help is greatly appreciated!

  2. Re: [Samba] Shared dirs are empty. Help needed please!

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, User Forums wrote:

    > Hey fellas. I just installed samba and am having a problem. What I'm
    > trying to achieve is hosting a file server for my lan. I don't want any
    > login/password's to be used or any of that. The server box is running
    > Debian linux and the clients are a mix of debian and winxp.
    >
    > On the server box I'm mounting the harddrives I want to share like this in
    > /etc/fstab:
    > /dev/sda1 /storage/sata0 xfs defaults 0 2
    > /dev/sdb1 /storage/sata1 xfs defaults 0 2
    > /dev/sdc1 /storage/sata2 xfs defaults 0 2
    > /dev/sdd1 /storage/sata3 xfs defaults 0 2
    >
    > /storage and all subdirs are owned by my file server user login name and are
    > chmod'ed with 744.

    Shouldn't that be 755 instead of 744? Without execute permission on the
    directory, a user cannot chdir into it.

    Andy