[Samba] COMPUTERNAME/Guest in login - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] COMPUTERNAME/Guest in login - Samba ; Dear all, I have recently configured a samba server that I have a strange problem with, but it is not really consistent. I would be grateful for any help I can receive. This is what happens: When I browse the ...

  1. [Samba] COMPUTERNAME/Guest in login

    Dear all,

    I have recently configured a samba server that I have a strange problem
    with, but it is not really consistent. I would be grateful for any help
    I can receive.

    This is what happens:
    When I browse the microsoft windows network and find my workgroup my
    samba server shows up. But when I double click on it I can't fill in my
    username. Instead it shows my computer name (client) followed by a slash
    and "Guest" and the field is not editable. I can however enter a
    password.

    If I instead type \\ followed by the servers IP address (\\192.168.0.1),
    I can fill in both my username and password and log in without problems.

    However, it seems that some clients can brows for the server and fil in
    the username and password but the majority can not.

    Thanks in advance! Below follows my smb.conf:
    Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

    [global]
    workgroup = VOLVO
    server string = File sharing server
    interfaces = eth1
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 50
    load printers = No
    dns proxy = No

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    read only = No
    create mask = 0770
    force create mode = 0770
    directory mask = 0770
    force directory mode = 0770
    browseable = No

    [sunlabob]
    comment = Sunlabob share
    path = /home/shared/sunlabob
    valid users = @sunlabob
    force group = sunlabob
    read only = No
    create mask = 0770
    force create mode = 0770
    directory mask = 0770
    force directory mode = 0770
    guest ok = Yes

    [finance1]
    comment = Finance1 share
    path = /home/shared/finance1
    valid users = @finance1
    force group = finance1
    read only = No
    create mask = 0770
    force create mode = 0770
    directory mask = 0770
    force directory mode = 0770
    guest ok = Yes

    [finance2]
    comment = Finance2 share
    path = /home/shared/finance2
    valid users = @finance2
    force group = finance2
    read only = No
    create mask = 0770
    force create mode = 0770
    directory mask = 0770
    force directory mode = 0770
    guest ok = Yes

    [lire]
    comment = Lire share
    path = /home/shared/lire
    valid users = @lire
    force group = lire
    read only = No
    create mask = 0770
    force create mode = 0770
    directory mask = 0770
    force directory mode = 0770
    guest ok = Yes

    [directory]
    comment = Directory share
    path = /home/shared/directory
    valid users = @directory
    force group = directory
    read only = No
    create mask = 0770
    force create mode = 0770
    directory mask = 0770
    force directory mode = 0770
    guest ok = Yes

    [guests]
    comment = Guests share
    path = /home/shared/guests
    valid users = @guest
    force group = guest
    read only = No
    create mask = 0770
    force create mode = 0770
    directory mask = 0770
    force directory mode = 0770
    guest ok = Yes

    [allusers]
    comment = All users
    path = /home
    valid users = andy
    read only = No

    best regards,
    Joakim Lagerqvist

  2. Re: [Samba] COMPUTERNAME/Guest in login

    On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 21:46 +0700, Joakim Lagerqvist wrote:

    > This is what happens:
    > When I browse the microsoft windows network and find my workgroup my
    > samba server shows up. But when I double click on it I can't fill in my
    > username. Instead it shows my computer name (client) followed by a slash
    > and "Guest" and the field is not editable. I can however enter a
    > password.
    >
    > If I instead type \\ followed by the servers IP address (\\192.168.0.1),
    > I can fill in both my username and password and log in without problems.

    That sounds a lot like a DNS issue to me... are you running your own DNS
    server there, or are all the clients looking at the same DNS info?
    Rubin

    Rubin Bennett
    RB Technologies
    http://thatitguy.com
    rbennett@thatitguy.com
    (802)223-4448
    security deserve neither liberty nor safety" --Benjamin Franklin,
    Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

  3. Re: [Samba] COMPUTERNAME/Guest in login

    On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 22:23 +0700, Joakim Lagerqvist wrote:

    > On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 11:12 -0400, Rubin Bennett wrote:
    > > That sounds a lot like a DNS issue to me... are you running your own
    > > DNS server there, or are all the clients looking at the same DNS info?

    > They should be running the same DNS but it is at our ISP. Should I set
    > up a small DNS proxy with information about the samba server?

    I would; in particular make sure that the reverse records work properly
    (i.e. the server looking up the hostnames of the clients by IP).

    Rubin

    > best regards,
    > Joakim

    Rubin Bennett
    RB Technologies
    http://thatitguy.com
    rbennett@thatitguy.com
    (802)223-4448
    security deserve neither liberty nor safety" --Benjamin Franklin,
    Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

  4. Re: [Samba] COMPUTERNAME/Guest in login

    I think there is a problem with samba and DNS records... i already had
    reported this here... And i see others peoples with same issue..

    Sometimes my win clients try to access, via hostname, samba shares and
    username and password are denied. At same time trying to access with
    IP instead hostname and authentication is accepted. I have my dns
    server with PRT and A records.
    Once i have my samba box with security = ADS with winbind and kerberos
    i was think my problem could be with kerberos. But in this case, with
    Joakim Lagerqvist, is not used kerberos.

    Today i have configured all my workstation with IP address instead
    hostname. My server is in production environment and unfortunately i
    can't send logs because i don't have errors in this moment.

    In the next month i'll migrate my samba to solaris, nowadays it's
    running in FC. If i find this problem again i send my logs to analyze.

    c.u.

    2007/6/13, Rubin Bennett :
    > On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 22:23 +0700, Joakim Lagerqvist wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 11:12 -0400, Rubin Bennett wrote:
    > > > That sounds a lot like a DNS issue to me... are you running your own
    > > > DNS server there, or are all the clients looking at the same DNS info?

    > > They should be running the same DNS but it is at our ISP. Should I set
    > > up a small DNS proxy with information about the samba server?
    > >

    > I would; in particular make sure that the reverse records work properly
    > (i.e. the server looking up the hostnames of the clients by IP).
    >
    > Rubin
    >
    > > best regards,
    > > Joakim
    > >

    > Rubin Bennett
    > RB Technologies
    > http://thatitguy.com
    > rbennett@thatitguy.com
    > (802)223-4448
    > security deserve neither liberty nor safety" --Benjamin Franklin,
    > Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
    > --

    Att.
    Lutieri G. B.

  5. Re: [Samba] COMPUTERNAME/Guest in login

    On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 11:32 -0400, Rubin Bennett wrote:

    > I would; in particular make sure that the reverse records work
    > properly (i.e. the server looking up the hostnames of the clients by
    > IP).Rubin

    So far I have only installed a DNS proxy in which I can add "bogus" DNS
    records and so far it seems to work better. When it comes to the
    clients, it is a bit of a mess... They are just named (in windows)
    without any policy. People are also coming in and out of the office with
    laptops with various names. Would you recommend me to put hostnames with
    our IP addresses in the proxy DNS? We are using a private ip address and
    I assume that if I would put records they might conflict with the
    assigned computer names in windows...

    Thanks in advance.

    best regards,
    Joakim