[Samba] windows xp wildcard matching in cmd.exe (search pattern is changed to uppercase when using wildcards) - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] windows xp wildcard matching in cmd.exe (search pattern is changed to uppercase when using wildcards) - Samba ; Hello! We probably have a Samba related Windows XP problem: When I start the cmd.exe shell, enter a samba share and call "dir" I can see (for example): a.java, b.java and c.JAVA But if I call "dir *.java", only c.JAVA ...

  1. [Samba] windows xp wildcard matching in cmd.exe (search pattern is changed to uppercase when using wildcards)

    Hello!

    We probably have a Samba related Windows XP problem:
    When I start the cmd.exe shell, enter a samba share and call "dir" I can
    see (for example):
    a.java, b.java and c.JAVA
    But if I call "dir *.java", only c.JAVA is reported.

    A ethereal trace shows that Windows XP is sending "Search Pattern:
    \server\path\<.JAVA". That means that all letters have changed to upper
    case. The case-sensitive Samba server seems to answer correctly to this
    wrong search pattern.
    However, if I call "dir a.java", the case is not changed and the file is
    shown properly. So Win XP (or cmd.exe) seems to change the case to
    uppercase if a wildcard is found

    We can't change our Samba server to work "case insensitive". Is there
    any other way to handle or change this misbehavior?

    Thanks,
    Alexander Geraldy

  2. Re: [Samba] windows xp wildcard matching in cmd.exe (search pattern is changed to uppercase when using wildcards)

    On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 08:37:24AM +0200, Alexander Geraldy wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > We probably have a Samba related Windows XP problem:
    > When I start the cmd.exe shell, enter a samba share and call "dir" I can
    > see (for example):
    > a.java, b.java and c.JAVA
    > But if I call "dir *.java", only c.JAVA is reported.
    >
    > A ethereal trace shows that Windows XP is sending "Search Pattern:
    > \server\path\<.JAVA". That means that all letters have changed to upper
    > case. The case-sensitive Samba server seems to answer correctly to this
    > wrong search pattern.
    > However, if I call "dir a.java", the case is not changed and the file is
    > shown properly. So Win XP (or cmd.exe) seems to change the case to
    > uppercase if a wildcard is found
    >
    > We can't change our Samba server to work "case insensitive". Is there
    > any other way to handle or change this misbehavior?

    No, the client is doing this so you'd have to request a change
    from Microsoft. Without Windows source code I don't think you're
    going to get much help on this.

    Jeremy.