[Samba] Invalid Argument ls dir mounted share - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Invalid Argument ls dir mounted share - Samba ; I'm using Fedora Core 6 which uses cifs.mount version 1.10. When mounting shares from a particular Windows 2003 R2 server, I cannot read certain directories. For example, when performing an 'ls' command as follows: [root@backup Admin]# ls /share/CORP-SERVER/C\$/Corp/User\ Files/xxx\ Finacial\ ...

  1. [Samba] Invalid Argument ls dir mounted share

    I'm using Fedora Core 6 which uses cifs.mount version 1.10. When mounting
    shares from a particular Windows 2003 R2 server, I cannot read certain
    directories. For example, when performing an 'ls' command as follows:

    [root@backup Admin]# ls /share/CORP-SERVER/C\$/Corp/User\ Files/xxx\
    Finacial\ Shared/Admin/Freddie\ Mac/
    ls: reading directory /share/CORP-SERVER/C$/Corp/User Files/xxx Finacial
    Shared/Admin/Freddie Mac/: Invalid argument

    No matter how I try to read this directory 'Freddie Mac' I get the same
    error. I can even CD into the directory, but when doing an 'ls' from inside,
    I get the same error.

    The mount with cifs succeeds fine, no errors. 98% of the directories can be
    read fine, but there are a few that give this error.

    After some testing it seems like the problem has to do possibly with the
    type of files, or characters in the name. In this directory there are many
    ..docx files. Also some of the files names have pound signs and some file
    names start with a number. The strange thing is that if I move all files
    except for 47 of the files, I can do the 'ls' from linux. However, if I add
    the 48th file back to this directory I start getting the 'Invalid Argument'
    error again. I tested other directories with more than 48 files and never
    get this error, so it has something to do with these files and having more
    than 48. I also moved the files to a different folder, and still had the
    same error reading the new folder contents.

    Anybody have any clue as to what the problem might be? Any tips on what I
    can try to remedy? Anything?

    Thanks,
    Max

  2. Re: [Samba] Invalid Argument ls dir mounted share

    Anyone, please?

    Max Kipness wrote:

    > I'm using Fedora Core 6 which uses cifs.mount version 1.10. When mounting
    > shares from a particular Windows 2003 R2 server, I cannot read certain
    > directories. For example, when performing an 'ls' command as follows:
    >
    > [root@backup Admin]# ls /share/CORP-SERVER/C\$/Corp/User\ Files/xxx\
    > Finacial\ Shared/Admin/Freddie\ Mac/
    > ls: reading directory /share/CORP-SERVER/C$/Corp/User Files/xxx Finacial
    > Shared/Admin/Freddie Mac/: Invalid argument
    >
    > No matter how I try to read this directory 'Freddie Mac' I get the same
    > error. I can even CD into the directory, but when doing an 'ls' from
    > inside, I get the same error.
    >
    > The mount with cifs succeeds fine, no errors. 98% of the directories can
    > be read fine, but there are a few that give this error.
    >
    > After some testing it seems like the problem has to do possibly with the
    > type of files, or characters in the name. In this directory there are many
    > .docx files. Also some of the files names have pound signs and some file
    > names start with a number. The strange thing is that if I move all files
    > except for 47 of the files, I can do the 'ls' from linux. However, if I
    > add the 48th file back to this directory I start getting the 'Invalid
    > Argument'
    > error again. I tested other directories with more than 48 files and never
    > get this error, so it has something to do with these files and having more
    > than 48. I also moved the files to a different folder, and still had the
    > same error reading the new folder contents.
    >
    > Anybody have any clue as to what the problem might be? Any tips on what I
    > can try to remedy? Anything?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Max

  3. Re: [Samba] Invalid Argument ls dir mounted share

    Thanks for the reply. The Samba list is probably the hardest list to get an
    answer from, it's very strange.

    Anyway, it's good to know I'm not the only one that noticed this. I'm
    thinking I did not have this issue with prior versions of Fedora, but I'm
    not positive. I'm wondering if it's a cifs bug. Hopefully someone that knows
    more about this will reply.

    Have you found any pattern to your problem? As far as contents of the
    directory?

    If I find a solution, I will be sure and let you know.

    Thanks,
    Max

    Anderson Kopke wrote:

    > Man...
    >
    > Im having this same problem. Im also using Fedora Core 6, and i will
    > sugest you make a test. Try to open your directory with firefox (like
    > file:///). When i do that, firefox open the directory
    > normally. I know, it inst solve our problem but its a evidence.
    >
    > Well, i will try to find more information about it, if i solve it first
    > than you .. i will tell you. ok?
    >
    > Good Luck.
    >

    > Max Kipness wrote:
    >>
    >> Anyone, please?
    >>

    >> Max Kipness wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I'm using Fedora Core 6 which uses cifs.mount version 1.10. When
    >>> mounting shares from a particular Windows 2003 R2 server, I cannot read
    >>> certain directories. For example, when performing an 'ls' command as
    >>> follows:
    >>>
    >>> [root@backup Admin]# ls /share/CORP-SERVER/C\$/Corp/User\ Files/xxx\
    >>> Finacial\ Shared/Admin/Freddie\ Mac/
    >>> ls: reading directory /share/CORP-SERVER/C$/Corp/User Files/xxx Finacial
    >>> Shared/Admin/Freddie Mac/: Invalid argument
    >>>
    >>> No matter how I try to read this directory 'Freddie Mac' I get the same
    >>> error. I can even CD into the directory, but when doing an 'ls' from
    >>> inside, I get the same error.
    >>>
    >>> The mount with cifs succeeds fine, no errors. 98% of the directories can
    >>> be read fine, but there are a few that give this error.
    >>>
    >>> After some testing it seems like the problem has to do possibly with the
    >>> type of files, or characters in the name. In this directory there are
    >>> many .docx files. Also some of the files names have pound signs and some
    >>> file names start with a number. The strange thing is that if I move all
    >>> files except for 47 of the files, I can do the 'ls' from linux. However,
    >>> if I add the 48th file back to this directory I start getting the
    >>> 'Invalid Argument'
    >>> error again. I tested other directories with more than 48 files and
    >>> never get this error, so it has something to do with these files and
    >>> having more than 48. I also moved the files to a different folder, and
    >>> still had the same error reading the new folder contents.
    >>>
    >>> Anybody have any clue as to what the problem might be? Any tips on what
    >>> I can try to remedy? Anything?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Max

  4. Re: [Samba] Invalid Argument ls dir mounted share

    On Tuesday 12 June 2007, Max Kipness wrote:
    > Also some of the files names have pound signs and some file
    > names start with a number. The strange thing is that if I move all files
    > except for 47 of the files, I can do the 'ls' from linux. However, if I add
    > the 48th file back to this directory I start getting the 'Invalid Argument'
    > error again. I tested other directories with more than 48 files and never
    > get this error, so it has something to do with these files and having more
    > than 48. I also moved the files to a different folder, and still had the
    > same error reading the new folder contents.

    Are all of the filenames valid in the Linux world?

    What happens if you use smbfs instead of cifs?

    If you copy all of the files to another folder and do a mass rename
    substituting all non-alphanumeric characters with alphanumeric ones what
    happens?

    Could it be a character encoding issue?

    Have you examined all of the mount.cifs options (man mount.cifs)?

    Chris

  5. Re: [Samba] Invalid Argument ls dir mounted share

    Actually, if I split the directory in two, each gets read just fine, so yes,
    all are valid file names.

    As Anderson pointed out, this bug has been posted. There are actually
    several bug posting based on this same error. Seems this broke with Fedora 5
    kernel updates and made it into Fedora 6. Still reading the thread to see if
    there is a fix yet.

    Max

    Chris Smith-16 wrote:

    > On Tuesday 12 June 2007, Max Kipness wrote:
    >> Also some of the files names have pound signs and some file
    >> names start with a number. The strange thing is that if I move all files
    >> except for 47 of the files, I can do the 'ls' from linux. However, if I
    >> add
    >> the 48th file back to this directory I start getting the 'Invalid
    >> Argument'
    >> error again. I tested other directories with more than 48 files and never
    >> get this error, so it has something to do with these files and having
    >> more
    >> than 48. I also moved the files to a different folder, and still had the
    >> same error reading the new folder contents.

    > Are all of the filenames valid in the Linux world?
    >
    > What happens if you use smbfs instead of cifs?
    >
    > If you copy all of the files to another folder and do a mass rename
    > substituting all non-alphanumeric characters with alphanumeric ones what
    > happens?
    >
    > Could it be a character encoding issue?
    >
    > Have you examined all of the mount.cifs options (man mount.cifs)?
    >
    > Chris
    > --

  6. Re: [Samba] Invalid Argument ls dir mounted share

    Andserson,

    Looks like the fix it to upgrade from the stock kernel in FC6. I tried an
    update using 'Yum update kernel' but nothing is found in the default
    repositories yet I suppose. I'm going to see if I find another repository
    that has a kernel update rpm package. Would you happen to know of any or
    another simple method to upgrade? I surely don't want to bother with
    updating the kernel from source, plus I'm doing this remotely. In the past
    Yum based kernel updates have gone well for me.

    If I can't figure it out, I will have to travel to the server, and install
    Fedora 7 which with the new kernel supposedly fixes this issue.

    Thanks for all your help diagnosing this issue.

    Max

    Anderson Kopke wrote:

    > Max,
    >
    > Please look at
    > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=211070
    >
    > "..Just to summarize -
    > readdir (ls) will fail on cifs with 2.6.18-fc6, and similar fc5 versions
    > for
    > directories which contain about 120 files or more (it depends on the
    > length of
    > the file names)
    >
    > As Eric found (see above) the bug shows up because the Fedora kernel now
    > sets
    > the recommended i/o size on cifs inodes incorrectly (it was set based on
    > blkbits
    > which for cifs is 16K - .."
    >
    > Maybe it will help us.
    >

    > Max Kipness wrote:
    >>
    >> Thanks for the reply. The Samba list is probably the hardest list to get
    >> an answer from, it's very strange.
    >>
    >> Anyway, it's good to know I'm not the only one that noticed this. I'm
    >> thinking I did not have this issue with prior versions of Fedora, but I'm
    >> not positive. I'm wondering if it's a cifs bug. Hopefully someone that
    >> knows more about this will reply.
    >>
    >> Have you found any pattern to your problem? As far as contents of the
    >> directory?
    >>
    >> If I find a solution, I will be sure and let you know.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Max
    >>
    >> Anderson Kopke wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Man...
    >>>
    >>> Im having this same problem. Im also using Fedora Core 6, and i will
    >>> sugest you make a test. Try to open your directory with firefox (like
    >>> file:///). When i do that, firefox open the directory
    >>> normally. I know, it inst solve our problem but its a evidence.
    >>>
    >>> Well, i will try to find more information about it, if i solve it
    >>> first than you .. i will tell you. ok?
    >>>
    >>> Good Luck.

  7. Re: [Samba] Invalid Argument ls dir mounted share

    No problem with the english...

    Well, I've solved the bug on my system with a kernel upgrade, all done
    remotely. Here is what I did. This I suppose is the easiest way to do a
    kernel upgrade on Fedora.

    1. Download the kernel by typing:

    wget
    ftp://195.220.108.108/linux/fedora/c...2.fc6.i586.rpm

    If you want to verify the kernel, I simply did a search for 'kernel' at
    http://www.rpmfind.net and chose the appropriate kernel for Fedora 6/i586.

    As I stated earlier, I'm not using Yum to simply update the kernel, because
    as of this date, the default repositories that come with Yum do not find a
    kernel upgrade.

    2. Use Yum to upgrade mkinitrd. You can try skipping this step, but step 3
    will most likely tell you this needs to be upgraded. Yum upgraded this fine
    for me.

    yum update mkinitrd

    3. Install/Upgrade the the kernel with the following command:

    rpm -ihv kernel-2.6.20-1.2952.fc6.i586.rpm

    4. If step 3 goes through fine, edit your grub.conf file (if you are not
    using grub edit whatever other boot loader it might be)

    vim /boot/grub/grub.conf

    change line the following line:

    default=1

    to:

    default=0

    This should point to the new kernel. If you simply reboot without making
    this change, your system will just boot to your old kernel.

    That should do it.

    I've found that one way to test and see all the directories that are
    affected by the 'invalid argument' bug, is to use 'find' as follows:

    find /my_windows_mounted_share/ -name ""

    If you are affected by the bug, you will see various directories with the
    'invalid argument' error as the find command could not read inside them.

    Let me know if th is works for you.

    Thanks,
    Max

    Anderson Kopke wrote:

    > Max,
    >
    > I will try yum update, even tought you told me that it inst fix the
    > problem ...
    > Tomorrow i will write to you and tell what happened.
    >
    > Man ... Im so sorry for my English ok..? Im Brazillian and dont speak
    > very well.
    >
    > Thanks :-)
    >

    > Max Kipness wrote:
    >>
    >> Andserson,
    >>
    >> Looks like the fix it to upgrade from the stock kernel in FC6. I tried an
    >> update using 'Yum update kernel' but nothing is found in the default
    >> repositories yet I suppose. I'm going to see if I find another repository
    >> that has a kernel update rpm package. Would you happen to know of any or
    >> another simple method to upgrade? I surely don't want to bother with
    >> updating the kernel from source, plus I'm doing this remotely. In the
    >> past Yum based kernel updates have gone well for me.
    >>
    >> If I can't figure it out, I will have to travel to the server, and
    >> install Fedora 7 which with the new kernel supposedly fixes this issue.
    >>
    >> Thanks for all your help diagnosing this issue.
    >>
    >> Max
    >>

    >> Anderson Kopke wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Max,
    >>>
    >>> Please look at
    >>> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=211070
    >>>
    >>> "..Just to summarize -
    >>> readdir (ls) will fail on cifs with 2.6.18-fc6, and similar fc5 versions
    >>> for
    >>> directories which contain about 120 files or more (it depends on the
    >>> length of
    >>> the file names)
    >>>
    >>> As Eric found (see above) the bug shows up because the Fedora kernel now
    >>> sets
    >>> the recommended i/o size on cifs inodes incorrectly (it was set based on
    >>> blkbits
    >>> which for cifs is 16K - .."
    >>>
    >>> Maybe it will help us.

  8. Re: [Samba] Invalid Argument ls dir mounted share

    Max Kipness wrote:

    > Anyone, please?
    >

    > Max Kipness wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm using Fedora Core 6 which uses cifs.mount version 1.10. When mounting
    >> shares from a particular Windows 2003 R2 server, I cannot read certain
    >> directories. For example, when performing an 'ls' command as follows:
    >>
    >> [root@backup Admin]# ls /share/CORP-SERVER/C\$/Corp/User\ Files/xxx\
    >> Finacial\ Shared/Admin/Freddie\ Mac/
    >> ls: reading directory /share/CORP-SERVER/C$/Corp/User Files/xxx Finacial
    >> Shared/Admin/Freddie Mac/: Invalid argument
    >>
    >> No matter how I try to read this directory 'Freddie Mac' I get the same
    >> error. I can even CD into the directory, but when doing an 'ls' from
    >> inside, I get the same error.
    >>
    >> The mount with cifs succeeds fine, no errors. 98% of the directories can
    >> be read fine, but there are a few that give this error.
    >>
    >> After some testing it seems like the problem has to do possibly with the
    >> type of files, or characters in the name. In this directory there are
    >> many .docx files. Also some of the files names have pound signs and some
    >> file names start with a number. The strange thing is that if I move all
    >> files except for 47 of the files, I can do the 'ls' from linux. However,
    >> if I add the 48th file back to this directory I start getting the
    >> 'Invalid Argument'
    >> error again. I tested other directories with more than 48 files and never
    >> get this error, so it has something to do with these files and having
    >> more than 48. I also moved the files to a different folder, and still had
    >> the same error reading the new folder contents.
    >>
    >> Anybody have any clue as to what the problem might be? Any tips on what I
    >> can try to remedy? Anything?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Max

  9. Re: [Samba] Invalid Argument ls dir mounted share

    Max Kipness wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply. The Samba list is probably the hardest list to get
    > an answer from, it's very strange.
    >
    > Anyway, it's good to know I'm not the only one that noticed this. I'm
    > thinking I did not have this issue with prior versions of Fedora, but I'm
    > not positive. I'm wondering if it's a cifs bug. Hopefully someone that
    > knows more about this will reply.
    >
    > Have you found any pattern to your problem? As far as contents of the
    > directory?
    >
    > If I find a solution, I will be sure and let you know.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Max
    >
    > Anderson Kopke wrote:
    >>
    >> Man...
    >>
    >> Im having this same problem. Im also using Fedora Core 6, and i will
    >> sugest you make a test. Try to open your directory with firefox (like
    >> file:///). When i do that, firefox open the directory
    >> normally. I know, it inst solve our problem but its a evidence.
    >>
    >> Well, i will try to find more information about it, if i solve it first
    >> than you .. i will tell you. ok?
    >>
    >> Good Luck.
    >>

    >> Max Kipness wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Anyone, please?

  10. Re: [Samba] Invalid Argument ls dir mounted share

    Max Kipness wrote:

    > Andserson,
    >
    > Looks like the fix it to upgrade from the stock kernel in FC6. I tried an
    > update using 'Yum update kernel' but nothing is found in the default
    > repositories yet I suppose. I'm going to see if I find another repository
    > that has a kernel update rpm package. Would you happen to know of any or
    > another simple method to upgrade? I surely don't want to bother with
    > updating the kernel from source, plus I'm doing this remotely. In the past
    > Yum based kernel updates have gone well for me.
    >
    > If I can't figure it out, I will have to travel to the server, and install
    > Fedora 7 which with the new kernel supposedly fixes this issue.
    >
    > Thanks for all your help diagnosing this issue.
    >
    > Max
    >

    > Anderson Kopke wrote:
    >>
    >> Max,
    >>
    >> Please look at
    >> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=211070
    >>
    >> "..Just to summarize -
    >> readdir (ls) will fail on cifs with 2.6.18-fc6, and similar fc5 versions
    >> for
    >> directories which contain about 120 files or more (it depends on the
    >> length of
    >> the file names)
    >>
    >> As Eric found (see above) the bug shows up because the Fedora kernel now
    >> sets
    >> the recommended i/o size on cifs inodes incorrectly (it was set based on
    >> blkbits
    >> which for cifs is 16K - .."
    >>
    >> Maybe it will help us.
    >>

    >> Max Kipness wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for the reply. The Samba list is probably the hardest list to get
    >>> an answer from, it's very strange.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, it's good to know I'm not the only one that noticed this. I'm
    >>> thinking I did not have this issue with prior versions of Fedora, but
    >>> I'm not positive. I'm wondering if it's a cifs bug. Hopefully someone
    >>> that knows more about this will reply.
    >>>
    >>> Have you found any pattern to your problem? As far as contents of the
    >>> directory?
    >>>
    >>> If I find a solution, I will be sure and let you know.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Max

  11. Re: [Samba] Invalid Argument ls dir mounted share

    Max,

    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=211070

    It was confirmed.

    I splitt my big directory in two directories. After that ... ls and
    konqueror read it fine :-)

    I will update my FC6 .. and pray this cifs bug being solved.