[Samba] VPN and NetBIOS Name Service - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] VPN and NetBIOS Name Service - Samba ; Hello, I'm running a Samba client on Mac OS X 10.3.9 and Samba works fine when the Mac is at home (e.g. file transfers, name resolution, etc.). However, name resolution does not work when the Mac is at a remote ...

  1. [Samba] VPN and NetBIOS Name Service

    Hello, I'm running a Samba client on Mac OS X 10.3.9 and Samba works fine when
    the Mac is at home (e.g. file transfers, name resolution, etc.). However, name
    resolution does not work when the Mac is at a remote location and logged into my
    home network via a PPTP VPN. File transfers work fine over the VPN connection
    when I use IP addresses instead of NetBIOS names.

    While trying to debug the problem I ran WireShark to sniff packets on the Mac
    and found that Samba does not broadcast the NetBIOS Name Query across my ppp0
    interface. Since ppp0 is dynamically created on the Mac when it connects to the
    VPN it doesn't appear that I can set ppp0 as an interface in smb.conf to solve
    the problem. Is this correct and, if so, what do I need to do to tell Samba to
    broadcast NetBIOS Name Service traffic over dynamically created interfaces?

    Thanks,
    Shaun

  2. Re: [Samba] VPN and NetBIOS Name Service

    shaunp wrote:
    > Hello, I'm running a Samba client on Mac OS X 10.3.9 and Samba works fine when
    > the Mac is at home (e.g. file transfers, name resolution, etc.). However, name
    > resolution does not work when the Mac is at a remote location and logged into my
    > home network via a PPTP VPN. File transfers work fine over the VPN connection
    > when I use IP addresses instead of NetBIOS names.
    >
    > While trying to debug the problem I ran WireShark to sniff packets on the Mac
    > and found that Samba does not broadcast the NetBIOS Name Query across my ppp0
    > interface. Since ppp0 is dynamically created on the Mac when it connects to the
    > VPN it doesn't appear that I can set ppp0 as an interface in smb.conf to solve
    > the problem. Is this correct and, if so, what do I need to do to tell Samba to
    > broadcast NetBIOS Name Service traffic over dynamically created interfaces?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Shaun

    Why not just set Samba to run a WINS service and point your laptop to
    that? WINS eliminates the need for NetBIOS broadcasts.

    -David

  3. [Samba] Re: VPN and NetBIOS Name Service

    David Chait bonair.stanford.edu> writes:

    > Why not just set Samba to run a WINS service and point your laptop to
    > that? WINS eliminates the need for NetBIOS broadcasts.
    >
    > -David

    Hi David,

    I've only got Windows XP and Windows Mobile machines on my home network. AFAIK,
    Samba isn't available for these platforms.

    Regards,
    Shaun

  4. [Samba] Re: VPN and NetBIOS Name Service

    David Chait bonair.stanford.edu> writes:

    > Why not just set Samba to run a WINS service and point your laptop to
    > that? WINS eliminates the need for NetBIOS broadcasts.
    >
    > -David

    For completeness' sake, I really should also mention that that Windows XP and
    Windows Mobile do not provide a WINS server. Betcha knew that already .

  5. Re: [Samba] VPN and NetBIOS Name Service

    On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 23:46 +0000, shaunp wrote:
    > Hello, I'm running a Samba client on Mac OS X 10.3.9 and Samba works fine when
    > the Mac is at home (e.g. file transfers, name resolution, etc.). However, name
    > resolution does not work when the Mac is at a remote location and logged into my
    > home network via a PPTP VPN. File transfers work fine over the VPN connection
    > when I use IP addresses instead of NetBIOS names.
    > While trying to debug the problem I ran WireShark to sniff packets on the Mac
    > and found that Samba does not broadcast the NetBIOS Name Query across my ppp0
    > interface. Since ppp0 is dynamically created on the Mac when it connects to the
    > VPN it doesn't appear that I can set ppp0 as an interface in smb.conf to solve
    > the problem. Is this correct and, if so, what do I need to do to tell Samba to
    > broadcast NetBIOS Name Service traffic over dynamically created interfaces?

    How do you configure the PPP link? We've had much better luck / less
    trouble on PPP links that are proxy arp'd to the 'host' network than
    ones configured in the traditional routed manner.

    If your host networks PPP creates the appropriate routes you can set
    remote announce of that Samba server to push the announcements to the
    client network. If the VPN is down then the route won't exist and the
    packets are discarded. Creates a little noise but has worked for us in
    the past.

    --
    Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
    Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com

  6. Re: [Samba] Re: VPN and NetBIOS Name Service

    > > Why not just set Samba to run a WINS service and point your laptop to
    > > that? WINS eliminates the need for NetBIOS broadcasts.

    > For completeness' sake, I really should also mention that that Windows XP and
    > Windows Mobile do not provide a WINS server. Betcha knew that already .

    See if you can configure the link as a proxy arp'd connection.

    --
    Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
    Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com
    Developer - http://www.opengroupware.org

  7. [Samba] Re: VPN and NetBIOS Name Service

    Adam Tauno Williams gmail.com> writes:

    > > > Why not just set Samba to run a WINS service and point your laptop to
    > > > that? WINS eliminates the need for NetBIOS broadcasts.

    > > For completeness' sake, I really should also mention that that Windows XP and
    > > Windows Mobile do not provide a WINS server. Betcha knew that already .

    > See if you can configure the link as a proxy arp'd connection.

    Thanks Adam, I'll try this out and post back w/my results.

    Regards,
    Shaun

  8. [Samba] Re: VPN and NetBIOS Name Service

    Hi Adam,

    > How do you configure the PPP link? We've had much better luck / less
    > trouble on PPP links that are proxy arp'd to the 'host' network than
    > ones configured in the traditional routed manner.

    On my Mac OS X 10.3.9 system, ps -axww shows:
    398 ?? Ss 0:00.03 pppd serviceid 9E47B01-FD8F-11DB-908B-000D93B4C93A
    optionsfd 0 plugin
    /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/
    PPPController.bundle/Contents/PlugIns/PPPDialogs.ppp
    logfile /var/log/ppp.log plugin PPTP.ppp pptp-tcp-keepalive 60 remoteaddress
    shaunpinney.dyndns.org lcp-echo-interval 60 lcp-echo-failure 5 mru 1500 mtu 1448
    receive-all ipparam 192.168.0.1 defaultroute novj ip-src-address-filter 2 0:0
    noipdefault ipcp-accept-local ipcp-accept-remote usepeerdns +ipv6
    ipv6cp-use-persistent noauth user shaunp mppe-stateless mppe-128 mppe-40
    refuse-pap refuse-chap-md5 refuse-eap noaskpassword nodetach call VPN (PPTP)
    Configuration

    I'll stick a proxyarp in "/etc/ppp/peers/VPN (PPTP) Configuration" and see what
    results I get.

    > If your host networks PPP creates the appropriate routes you can set
    > remote announce of that Samba server to push the announcements to the
    > client network. If the VPN is down then the route won't exist and the
    > packets are discarded. Creates a little noise but has worked for us in
    > the past.

    I'm not running a Samba server on my home network, just the Windows XP Home
    Edition stuff (b-mode only and no WINS server AFAIK). I'd love to try out Samba
    on Windows to test remote announce, but I can't find a port available.