[Samba] Not seeing the expected group memberships with ifmember.exe /list - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Not seeing the expected group memberships with ifmember.exe /list - Samba ; We have bumped into a most odd problem. Server: Debian Etch and their Samba 3.0.24-2 Client: WinXP SP2, MSI v3, all hot fixes The following settings are in place on the server: #!/bin/bash # # initGrps.sh # Map Windows Domain ...

  1. [Samba] Not seeing the expected group memberships with ifmember.exe /list

    We have bumped into a most odd problem.

    Server:
    Debian Etch and their Samba 3.0.24-2

    Client:
    WinXP SP2, MSI v3, all hot fixes

    The following settings are in place on the server:
    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # initGrps.sh

    # Map Windows Domain Groups to UNIX groups
    net groupmap add ntgroup="Domain Admins" unixgroup=domadmin rid=512 type=d
    net groupmap add ntgroup="Domain Users" unixgroup=domusers rid=513 type=d
    net groupmap add ntgroup="Domain Guests" unixgroup=domguest rid=514 type=d

    # Create some Domain Groups to administer local security
    net groupmap add ntgroup=ntadmins unixgroup=ntadmins type=d
    net groupmap add ntgroup=ntpwrusr unixgroup=ntpwrusr type=d
    net groupmap add ntgroup=ntusers unixgroup=ntusers type=d
    net groupmap add ntgroup=ntguests unixgroup=ntguests type=d

    When we join the domain, we run roughly the following script:
    ´╗┐REM JoinDomain.cmd
    NETDOM.EXE JOIN %ComputerName% /Domain:LDS-DEMO /UserD:ldsinst /PasswordDassword

    REM Remove domain to local group mapping done by NETDOM
    NET LOCALGROUP "Users" "LDS-DEMO\Domain Users" /DEL
    NET LOCALGROUP "Administrators" "LDS-DEMO\Domain Admins" /DEL

    REM Add domain to local group mapping
    NET LOCALGROUP "Administrators" "LDS-DEMO\ntadmins" /ADD
    NET LOCALGROUP "Power Users" "LDS-DEMO\ntpwrusr" /ADD
    NET LOCALGROUP "Users" "LDS-DEMO\ntusers" /ADD
    NET LOCALGROUP "Guests" "LDS-DEMO\ntguests" /ADD

    What is specifically missing in "ifmember /list" are:
    LDS-DEMO\Domains Admins
    LDS-DEMO\ntadmins

    We are at least getting membership to:
    LDS-DEMO\Domain Users

    <><><><><><><><><>

    What steps should we try as we try to track down this case of missing group memberships?

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems

  2. [Samba] Debian Etch bug? Was -> Re: Not seeing the expected group memberships with ifmember.exe /list

    Greetings List-

    It has been a long weekend... we have tried many things. It seems "something" is up with the 3.0.24-1 and -2 packages for Debian Etch that Debian put out.

    We installed the old hard drive in the mobile test server (aka ThinkPad) which still had Debian Sarge on it. Purged the Samba packages, and installed the packages of 3.0.24 from samba.org. Following
    the exact same steps, we end up with the expected permissions / memberships / etc...

    Also failing with the Etch server were assigning permission to a "special user" account for joining machines to the domain, and also assigning print admin permissions to the "Domain Admin" group.

    Those commands were successful with the Sarge hard drive.

    So, just a general heads up... something smelling fishy with Debian Etch.

    Since we have a workable solution, we plan on demoing on Debian Sarge, and also installing Ubuntu 7.04 server on the HDD with Debian Etch on it currently... and maybe do the presentation with Ubuntu
    if successful.

    fffeeeewwww.... (and it is only 22:45!)

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems
    http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/

  3. [Samba] Re: Debian Etch bug? Was -> Re: Not seeing the expected group memberships with ifmember.exe /list

    Michael Lueck wrote:
    > It seems
    > "something" is up with the 3.0.24-1 and -2 packages for Debian Etch that
    > Debian put out.

    Correction, I see per the Debian page, those versions are actually 3.0.24-6etch1 and 3.0.24-6etch2.

    So, just to clarify. I took the time to at least file a Debian bug report as to our findings. It can be found at the following URL:

    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems
    http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/

  4. Re: [Samba] Debian Etch bug?

    Michael Lueck wrote:
    > So, just a general heads up... something smelling fishy with Debian Etch.

    So it's not just me having weird problems on recently upgraded servers
    that have weird permissions setups.
    Now if only I had the time to go and try the official packages on the
    most problematic server... But users will complain if I break it (again).

    TB

  5. [Samba] Re: Debian Etch bug?

    Tim Bates wrote:
    > Michael Lueck wrote:
    >> So, just a general heads up... something smelling fishy with Debian Etch.

    > So it's not just me having weird problems on recently upgraded servers
    > that have weird permissions setups.
    > Now if only I had the time to go and try the official packages on the
    > most problematic server... But users will complain if I break it (again).

    I ended up presenting with Ubuntu Server 7.04 and their current Samba packages, which were at build 3.0.24-2ubuntu1.2_i386.

    Upon returning from that conference, Debian Etch had been updated to 3.0.24-6etch4_i386, and a clean installation of Etch and those packages worked to perfection.

    I have no idea what was up... and since I did a clean install (the previous Etch installation was nuked to hurry off to Ubuntu), possibly it was some Etch bug only if you first installed an earlier
    build of Samba, or, or, or...

    Just glad to see that weirdness GONE! :-)