[Samba] Trying to mount a Linux share on Windows - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Trying to mount a Linux share on Windows - Samba ; Hi, I am trying to mount a Linux directory onto the Windows box. The smb.conf file looks like this: Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf Processing section "[homes]" Processing section "[profiles]" Processing section "[users]" Processing section "[groups]" Processing section "[winshare]" ...

  1. [Samba] Trying to mount a Linux share on Windows

    Hi,

    I am trying to mount a Linux directory onto the Windows box.

    The smb.conf file looks like this:

    Processing section "[homes]"
    Processing section "[profiles]"
    Processing section "[users]"
    Processing section "[groups]"
    Processing section "[winshare]"
    Loaded services file OK.
    WARNING: passdb expand explicit = yes is deprecated
    Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
    [global]
    workgroup = OVE.LOCAL
    map to guest = Bad User
    valid users = root, linuxbak, amandabackup
    force user = amandabackup

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S, %D%w%S
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes

    [profiles]
    comment = Network Profiles Service
    path = %H
    read only = No
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700
    store dos attributes = Yes

    [users]
    comment = All users
    path = /home
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes

    [groups]
    comment = All groups
    path = /home/groups
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes

    [winshare]
    comment = Share for the Windows server ove-dc3bkup01
    path = /media/winshare
    write list = root, amandabackup, linuxbak
    read only = No
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700
    inherit acls = Yes

    Also, can't seem to see the share below
    AmandaBackup:/media # smbclient -L 10.80.101.15 -U linuxbak
    Password:
    Domain=[OVE] OS=[Windows Server 2003 R2 3790 Service Pack 1] Server=[Windows
    Server 2003 R2 5.2]

    Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    C$ Disk Default share
    S$ Disk Default share
    F$ Disk Default share
    IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
    G$ Disk Default share
    LinuxBak Disk
    ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
    SQL Bak Disk
    E$ Disk Default share
    session request to 10.80.101.15 failed (Called name not present)
    session request to 10 failed (Called name not present)
    Domain=[OVE] OS=[Windows Server 2003 R2 3790 Service Pack 1] Server=[Windows
    Server 2003 R2 5.2]

    Server Comment
    --------- -------
    OVE-DC3BKUP01
    Workgroup Master
    --------- -------
    OVE OVE-DC3AD01
    OVEDMZ OVE-DC3ISA02

    While mounting it,
    AmandaBackup:~ # mount -t smbfs -o
    username=linuxbak,uid=amandabackup,gid=disk /media/winshare/
    //10.80.101.15/LinuxBak
    -bash: !,uid=amandabackup,gid=disk: event not found
    AmandaBackup:~ # mount -t smbfs -o username=linuxbak /media/winshare/
    //10.80.101.15/LinuxBak
    Could not resolve mount point //10.80.101.15/LinuxBak
    AmandaBackup:~ # mount -t smbfs -o username=linuxbak
    10.90.219.64:/media/winshare/ 10.80.101.15:/LinuxBak
    Could not resolve mount point 10.80.101.15:/LinuxBak

    Please Help!!!!

  2. Re: [Bulk] [Samba] Trying to mount a Linux share on Windows

    bhoomikasc escribió:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to mount a Linux directory onto the Windows box.

    I think this is not possible, you can't mount a ntfs partition of a
    Windows box from linux

    Am I right?

  3. Re: [Bulk] [Samba] Trying to mount a Linux share on Windows

    On Thursday 31 May 2007 05:34:48 pm Miguel Gonzalez Castaños wrote:
    > bhoomikasc escribió:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am trying to mount a Linux directory onto the Windows box.

    > I think this is not possible, you can't mount a ntfs partition of a
    > Windows box from linux
    >
    > Am I right?

    You can mount Linux file systems on Windows you just have to have the right
    utilities to do so. Linux supports NTFS (NTVFS is another matter) with
    ntfs-3g now.

    --Shaun

    --
    It isn't about it being free. Rather, its about the freedom it brings.

  4. Re: [Bulk] [Samba] Trying to mount a Linux share on Windows

    > You can mount Linux file systems on Windows you just have to have the right
    > utilities to do so. Linux supports NTFS (NTVFS is another matter) with
    > ntfs-3g now.

    So for instance, I could take a partition on a Windows server (NTFS) and
    share it using Samba instead of the Windows share service?

    Miguel

  5. Re: [Bulk] [Samba] Trying to mount a Linux share on Windows

    > > You can mount Linux file systems on Windows you just have to have the right
    > > utilities to do so. Linux supports NTFS (NTVFS is another matter) with
    > > ntfs-3g now.

    > So for instance, I could take a partition on a Windows server (NTFS) and
    > share it using Samba instead of the Windows share service?

    You could probably make it work, but that would be insane. Read the
    documentation on ntfs-3g.

    --
    Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
    Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com