[Samba] roaming profiles in a home environment - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] roaming profiles in a home environment - Samba ; Hi all, I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway to be sure that I've got it right. My home network consists of a Vista box that is used for TV only, my workstation, and our ...

  1. [Samba] roaming profiles in a home environment

    Hi all,

    I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway to be sure that I've
    got it right. My home network consists of a Vista box that is used for TV
    only, my workstation, and our laptop. Both the workstation and the laptop
    are used by my wife and me. The laptop is on the wifi network. I then have
    a fedora FC6 box that is running samba and I'm trying to expand it from a
    simple fileshare to a domain master.

    My question is about the value of roaming profiles. I really like the idea,
    but I don't think I've prepared to pay the performance hit of copying
    megabytes of data (a basic empty profile created for my last laptop login
    was 2.3M). The functionality I'm interested in (all nice to have, most have
    workarounds) are:
    - same outlook setup for my wife on both laptop and pc
    - shared favourites, cookies

    I'm assuming that I'd be better off not using roaming profiles, but instead
    using folder redirection (in outlook's case simply put the files on the
    share).

    So - two questions:
    1. Is the above a reasonable viewpoint?
    2. Can I setup folder redirect through samba via a policy file, or will I
    need to do it on each PC individually?

    cheers,
    dim

  2. Re: [Samba] roaming profiles in a home environment

    > I'm assuming that I'd be better off not using roaming profiles, but instead
    > using folder redirection (in outlook's case simply put the files on the
    > share).

    Yes.

    > So - two questions:
    > 1. Is the above a reasonable viewpoint?
    > 2. Can I setup folder redirect through samba via a policy file, or will I
    > need to do it on each PC individually?

    You can perform folder redirection via policies from a Samba PDC; just
    the same as if you were using an NT4 PDC (see older Windows NT domain
    documentation; this is really a Windows thing, not specific to Samba).

    --
    Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
    Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com

  3. Re: [Samba] roaming profiles in a home environment

    On 5/31/07, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

    > > I'm assuming that I'd be better off not using roaming profiles, but

    > instead
    > > using folder redirection (in outlook's case simply put the files on the
    > > share).

    > Yes.
    >
    > > So - two questions:
    > > 1. Is the above a reasonable viewpoint?
    > > 2. Can I setup folder redirect through samba via a policy file, or will

    > > need to do it on each PC individually?

    > You can perform folder redirection via policies from a Samba PDC; just
    > the same as if you were using an NT4 PDC (see older Windows NT domain
    > documentation; this is really a Windows thing, not specific to Samba).

    Thanks Adam, much appreciated.

    cheers,
    dim

  4. Re: [Samba] roaming profiles in a home environment

    On 5/30/2007 Adam Tauno Williams (adamtaunowilliams@gmail.com) wrote:
    >> I'm assuming that I'd be better off not using roaming profiles, but
    >> instead using folder redirection (in outlook's case simply put the
    >> files on the share).

    > Yes.

    I would recommend against doing this... Microsoft itself recommends
    against it, but I have also had problems with corruption in .pst files
    that are stored on a network share, both on Windows shares *and* Samba
    shares...

    --

    Best regards,

    Charles

  5. Re: [Samba] roaming profiles in a home environment

    On 5/31/07, Charles Marcus wrote:
    > I would recommend against doing this... Microsoft itself recommends
    > against it, but I have also had problems with corruption in .pst files
    > that are stored on a network share, both on Windows shares *and* Samba
    > shares...

    Just to share my own experience, we've been running our PSTs off of
    Samba shares for several years now without seeing any corruption. We
    used to have some locking errors with this setup, but adding the
    following line to smb.conf stopped them:

    veto oplock files = /*.pst/*.PST/

    Josh Kelley

  6. Re: [Samba] roaming profiles in a home environment

    Josh Kelley wrote:
    > On 5/31/07, Charles Marcus wrote:
    >> I would recommend against doing this... Microsoft itself recommends
    >> against it, but I have also had problems with corruption in .pst files
    >> that are stored on a network share, both on Windows shares *and* Samba
    >> shares...

    > Just to share my own experience, we've been running our PSTs off of
    > Samba shares for several years now without seeing any corruption. We
    > used to have some locking errors with this setup, but adding the
    > following line to smb.conf stopped them:
    >
    > veto oplock files = /*.pst/*.PST/

    Yes, I tried that, but after the next corrupted file, moved them back to
    local disk that gets synced at logout.

    Thankfully, I don't have to deal with Outlook any more, and all email
    is served via IMAP...

    --

    Best regards,

    Charles

  7. Re: [Samba] roaming profiles in a home environment

    Hi Charles, Josh, et al,

    Firstly, this is getting off topic a little, so don't read on unless you're
    interested in how Samba might be used to make email usage easier in a home
    environment with multiple computers.

    On 6/2/07, Charles Marcus wrote:

    > Josh Kelley wrote:
    > > On 5/31/07, Charles Marcus wrote:
    > >> I would recommend against doing this... Microsoft itself recommends
    > >> against it, but I have also had problems with corruption in .pst files
    > >> that are stored on a network share, both on Windows shares *and* Samba
    > >> shares...

    > > Just to share my own experience, we've been running our PSTs off of
    > > Samba shares for several years now without seeing any corruption. We
    > > used to have some locking errors with this setup, but adding the
    > > following line to smb.conf stopped them:
    > >
    > > veto oplock files = /*.pst/*.PST/

    > Yes, I tried that, but after the next corrupted file, moved them back to
    > local disk that gets synced at logout.

    Something I hadn't really thought of is that my wife is likely (at some
    point) to be logged onto two computers at once, and have outlook running on
    both of them. I assume this is a guarenteed road to disaster and I should
    be ruling out sharing the .PST files based on this.

    Thankfully, I don't have to deal with Outlook any more, and all email
    > is served via IMAP...

    Ok - really off topic now, what clients are you finding handing IMAP the
    best? My wife uses IMAP, and I suppose if I were to setup LDAP then I could
    use that for her contacts (which are the main problem atm).

    Feel free to reply off-list if you think its more appropriate as I realise
    this question has absolutely nothing to do with Samba.

    cheers,
    dim