[Samba] Samba 3.025 wbinfo checking the trust secret via RPC calls failed - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Samba 3.025 wbinfo checking the trust secret via RPC calls failed - Samba ; I have compiled Samba 3.0.25a from source on a Solaris 10 machine. I had previously been testing Samba 3.0.24 (from packages on www.sunfreeware.com ) and have reused the smb.conf file. Otherwise this is a clean setup, not an upgrade. The ...

  1. [Samba] Samba 3.025 wbinfo checking the trust secret via RPC calls failed

    I have compiled Samba 3.0.25a from source on a Solaris 10 machine. I
    had previously been testing Samba 3.0.24 (from packages on
    www.sunfreeware.com) and have reused the smb.conf file. Otherwise
    this is a clean setup, not an upgrade.

    The server is configured as a PDC for my domain "SAMBADOMAIN"

    I created a samba password for the local root and administrator accounts.

    I joined the server machine to its own domain

    pdc# net join sambadomain -U root
    Password:

    Joined domain SAMBADOMAIN

    pdc# bin/net rpc testjoin
    Join to SAMBADOMAIN is OK
    gopher#

    I joined a Windows 2003 server to the domain. All seems weel.

    I tried establish trusts with another domain. Either way this fails
    with a warning that the trust password was incorrect. going
    back a step, I tried to verify the trust to my own domain.

    pdc # ./wbinfo -t
    checking the trust secret via RPC calls failed
    error code was NT_STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE (0xc0000008)
    Could not check secret

    pdc# ./wbinfo --own-domain -t
    SAMBADOMAIN
    checking the trust secret via RPC calls failed
    error code was NT_STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE (0xc0000008)
    Could not check secret

    This had worked with Samba 3.0.24. Not sure if this is a winbind
    issue. my smb.conf file includes the following:

    idmap uid = 10000-20000
    idmap gid = 10000-20000
    winbind enum users = yes
    winbind enum groups = yes

    Thanks

  2. Re: [Samba] Fwd: Samba 3.025 wbinfo checking the trust secret via RPC calls failed

    On Thu, 31 May 2007 17:53:10 -0400 Gaiseric Vandal wrote:

    GV> I joined 2 Windows 2003 machines to the domain. I was able to log as
    GV> "administrator" and "root" but no other accounts, whether local or
    GV> not. The user accounts them self seem OK- it just seems to be a
    GV> winbind or trusts issue.

    You are, perhaps, looking at the wrong place!

    Are you trying to log in with remote desktop?
    In this case users have to be members of the "Remote Desktop Users" group.

    try to log in att the console to see if it make a difference!

    Regards!

    --
    Jean-Jacques Moulis Tel: (013) 281684
    ISY Fax: (013) 139282

  3. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.025 wbinfo checking the trust secret via RPC calls failed

  4. Re: [Samba] Fwd: Samba 3.025 wbinfo checking the trust secret via RPC calls failed

    This affects local logins as well as RDP.

    On 6/1/07, Jean-Jacques Moulis wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 May 2007 17:53:10 -0400 Gaiseric Vandal wrote:
    >
    > GV> I joined 2 Windows 2003 machines to the domain. I was able to log as
    > GV> "administrator" and "root" but no other accounts, whether local or
    > GV> not. The user accounts them self seem OK- it just seems to be a
    > GV> winbind or trusts issue.
    >
    > You are, perhaps, looking at the wrong place!
    >
    > Are you trying to log in with remote desktop?
    > In this case users have to be members of the "Remote Desktop Users" group..
    >
    > try to log in att the console to see if it make a difference!
    >
    > Regards!
    >

    > --
    > Jean-Jacques Moulis Tel: (013) 281684
    > ISY Fax: (013) 139282
    > Linköping University E-mail: jj@isy.liu.se
    > 581 83 Linköping

  5. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.025 wbinfo checking the trust secret via RPC calls failed

    Do you know if this was specific to Solaris? Or is linux also
    affected? I had configure warnings building on solaris 9 and 10.

    Thanks

    On 6/1/07, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

  6. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.025 wbinfo checking the trust secret via RPC calls failed