[Samba] Changing Windows password complexity error dialog box - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Changing Windows password complexity error dialog box - Samba ; Hello, I have a Samba PDC on which I use the "check password script" option in smb.conf to enforce a specific password complexity policy when the XP user changes his password with Ctrl-Alt-Del. This works fine, but when the password ...

  1. [Samba] Changing Windows password complexity error dialog box

    Hello,

    I have a Samba PDC on which I use the "check password script" option in
    smb.conf to enforce a specific password complexity policy when the XP
    user changes his password with Ctrl-Alt-Del.
    This works fine, but when the password does not comply with the password
    complexity policy, XP shows the following dialog box:

    "The password supplied does not meet the minimum complexity
    requirements. Please select another password that meets all of the
    following criteria: is at least 5 characters; has not been used in the
    previous 0 passwords [...] Type a password which meets these
    requirements in both text boxes"

    Of course, this does not describe the actual password complexity policy.
    Is there a way to change this error message ?

    Thanks,

    Jerome Steunenberg

  2. Re: [Samba] Changing Windows password complexity error dialog box

    On 5/10/07, Jerome Steunenberg wrote:
    > I have a Samba PDC on which I use the "check password script" option in
    > smb.conf to enforce a specific password complexity policy when the XP
    > user changes his password with Ctrl-Alt-Del.
    > This works fine, but when the password does not comply with the password
    > complexity policy, XP shows the following dialog box:
    >
    > "The password supplied does not meet the minimum complexity
    > requirements. Please select another password that meets all of the
    > following criteria: is at least 5 characters; has not been used in the
    > previous 0 passwords [...] Type a password which meets these
    > requirements in both text boxes"

    I *think* that the details of this error message are determined by
    whatever Windows thinks the password security policy is. That's
    configured under Local Security Policy (which is under Control Panel,
    under Administrative Tools). Go under Account Policies, under
    Password Policy, and check the settings there.

    Josh Kelley

  3. Re: [Samba] Changing Windows password complexity error dialog box

    Josh Kelley wrote:
    > On 5/10/07, Jerome Steunenberg wrote:
    >> I have a Samba PDC on which I use the "check password script" option in
    >> smb.conf to enforce a specific password complexity policy when the XP
    >> user changes his password with Ctrl-Alt-Del.
    >> This works fine, but when the password does not comply with the password
    >> complexity policy, XP shows the following dialog box:
    >>
    >> "The password supplied does not meet the minimum complexity
    >> requirements. Please select another password that meets all of the
    >> following criteria: is at least 5 characters; has not been used in the
    >> previous 0 passwords [...] Type a password which meets these
    >> requirements in both text boxes"

    > I *think* that the details of this error message are determined by
    > whatever Windows thinks the password security policy is. That's
    > configured under Local Security Policy (which is under Control Panel,
    > under Administrative Tools). Go under Account Policies, under
    > Password Policy, and check the settings there.
    >
    > Josh Kelley

    Thanks for the info Josh. I checked and there's only these options under
    Security Settings / Account Policies / Password Policy:

    * Enforce password history
    * Maximum password age
    * Minimum password age
    * Minimum password length
    * Password must meet complexity requirements
    * Store password using reversible encryption for all users in the domain

    But there's nowhere any option that allows to change the other
    complexity requirements that appear in the message box (i.e. contains at
    least three of the following four character groups...)
    Also, changes in the above mentioned settings are not reflected in the
    message box!

    Does anyone know how to change the contents of this dialog box ?

    Thanks,

    Jerome Steunenberg

  4. Re: [Samba] Changing Windows password complexity error dialog box

    On 5/11/07, Jerome Steunenberg wrote:
    > Thanks for the info Josh. I checked and there's only these options under
    > Security Settings / Account Policies / Password Policy:
    >
    > * Enforce password history
    > * Maximum password age
    > * Minimum password age
    > * Minimum password length
    > * Password must meet complexity requirements
    > * Store password using reversible encryption for all users in the domain
    >
    > But there's nowhere any option that allows to change the other
    > complexity requirements that appear in the message box (i.e. contains at
    > least three of the following four character groups...)

    Password complexity requirements are hard-coded by Windows (see
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true)
    if you enable the "Password must meet complexity requirements"
    setting. Setting up different complexity requirements (on a Windows
    server) requires installing your own password filtering DLL.

    > Also, changes in the above mentioned settings are not reflected in the
    > message box!

    Sorry, I'm not sure what to tell you there.

    Josh Kelley

  5. Smile How can I gain access to a computer if I forgot the administrator's password?

    I lost the Administrator password and do not have any other account. How can I get into my Windows installation, reset the admin password and create new user accounts?

+ Reply to Thread