[Samba] Cups, Samba, Windows without login - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Cups, Samba, Windows without login - Samba ; Hello, for some new printers in our company we want to set up a samba server with cups. We use w2k and wxp as clients. Because we want to make some of those printers public for open rooms we have ...

  1. [Samba] Cups, Samba, Windows without login

    Hello,

    for some new printers in our company we want to set up a samba server with cups. We use w2k and wxp as clients.
    Because we want to make some of those printers public for open rooms we have some problems:

    We use novell for some rooms and for other rooms an active directory. The Novell-clients use a local user account for login.
    Every client should use the printers without insert a password, so we need to use the guest account.
    I had set up the printers in cups and see them in the samba share. At next I have to login on the samba share from windows to install the server-saved drivers for windows. And this doesn't works...
    Every time I insert \\ip-adress in windows I become access as guest. Then I have tried to connect with "net use z: \\ip-adress\printers", where you can insert a different login name for the share. But he doesn't accept this user... He asks for the guest password again and again and don't give an error.
    So I don't know how I can make this work and so I want to ask for some help here. Does anyone use this set up and can give me some advise or how-tos.
    As Unix-System we use debian etch.
    Here is the configuration I already have:

    [global]

    workgroup = my_workgroup
    server string = %h server
    ; wins support = no
    ; wins server = w.x.y.z
    dns proxy = no
    ; name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
    ; bind interfaces only = true
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    ; syslog only = no
    syslog = 0

    security = user
    encrypt passwords = true
    passdb backend = tdbsam

    obey pam restrictions = yes

    guest account = nobody
    invalid users = root
    map to guest = bad user
    ; unix password sync = no
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .

    ; pam password change = no
    ; domain logons = yes
    ; logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
    ; logon path = \\%N\%U\profile

    ; logon drive = H:
    ; logon home = \\%N\%U

    ; logon script = logon.cmd

    ; add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser --quiet --disabled-password --gecos "" %u

    load printers = yes

    ; printing = bsd
    ; printcap name = /etc/printcap

    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups

    ; printer admin = @ntadmin

    ; include = /home/samba/etc/smb.conf.%m
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY

    ; message command = /bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/linpopup "%f" "%m" %s; rm %s' &

    ; domain master = auto

    ; idmap uid = 10000-20000
    ; idmap gid = 10000-20000
    ; template shell = /bin/bash
    ;
    ;
    ; winbind enum groups = yes
    ; winbind enum users = yes

    #======================= Share Definitions =======================

    #[homes]
    # comment = Home Directories
    # browseable = no

    # writable = no

    # create mask = 0700

    # directory mask = 0700

    # valid users = %S

    ;[netlogon]
    ; comment = Network Logon Service
    ; path = /home/samba/netlogon
    ; guest ok = yes
    ; writable = no
    ; share modes = no

    # Un-comment the following and create the profiles directory to store
    # users profiles (see the "logon path" option above)
    # (you need to configure Samba to act as a domain controller too.)
    # The path below should be writable by all users so that their
    # profile directory may be created the first time they log on
    ;[profiles]
    ; comment = Users profiles
    ; path = /home/samba/profiles
    ; guest ok = no
    ; browseable = no
    ; create mask = 0600
    ; directory mask = 0700

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    browseable = no
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printable = yes
    public = yes
    guest ok = no
    writable = no
    create mode = 0700

    # Windows clients look for this share name as a source of downloadable
    # printer drivers
    [print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/printers
    browseable = yes
    read only = yes
    guest ok = yes
    write list = root, administrator

    Thanks for your help...

  2. Re: [Samba] Cups, Samba, Windows without login

    Hi,
    your printers section is ambiguous....
    guest ok and public are two names for ONE flag,
    so setting

    public=yes

    and afterwards

    guest ok=no

    makes your printers unacessible to evryone except authenticated users...

    "man smb.conf"

    is your friend in this situation... ;-)
    Christoph

    [....]