[Samba] danger in using pdbedit - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] danger in using pdbedit - Samba ; I would like to be able to change between backends but I'm worried that my users will encounter trouble loggin in. So I'm looking for reassurance that my command is ok. My current configuration is: passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://10.10.10.10 smbpasswd ...

  1. [Samba] danger in using pdbedit

    I would like to be able to change between backends but I'm worried that
    my users will encounter trouble loggin in. So I'm looking for
    reassurance that my command is ok.

    My current configuration is:

    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://10.10.10.10 smbpasswd guest

    I would like to change from ldap to tdbsam. Is this the command to
    use:

    # pdbedit -i ldapsam:ldap://10.10.10.10 -e tdbsam

    I would then change my configuration to:

    passdb backend = tdbsam

    And then test my logins and share access.

    Thanks for any comments.

    Peter

  2. Re: [Samba] danger in using pdbedit

    There is an old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" LDAP is more
    flexible than tdbsam and since you have it working, why switch? However,
    if you insist on doing it, keep the LDAP backend until you are sure the
    tdbsam backend is working.

    Please note that you will likely want to switch back to LDAP at some
    point, so don't say I didn't warn you!