[Samba] question re multiple backends and the 'guest' backend - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] question re multiple backends and the 'guest' backend - Samba ; An inherited system has the following configuration: passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://10.10.10.10 smbpasswd guest What is the purpose of using multiple backends? The smb.conf man page simply states that each backend will be searched in turn but why would one ever ...

  1. [Samba] question re multiple backends and the 'guest' backend

    An inherited system has the following configuration:

    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://10.10.10.10 smbpasswd guest

    What is the purpose of using multiple backends? The smb.conf man page
    simply states that each backend will be searched in turn but why would
    one ever use such a setup?

    Secondly, the man page does not mention the 'guest' backend. To me
    such a backend implies that an authentication challenge would never be
    refused (guest is a catchall).

    Comments?

    Peter

  2. Re: [Samba] question re multiple backends and the 'guest' backend

    I suspect that "guest" will simply allow someone to log on as a guest
    with whatever privileges (usually none) you give to guests.

    Peter Matulis wrote:
    > An inherited system has the following configuration:
    >
    > passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://10.10.10.10 smbpasswd guest
    >
    > What is the purpose of using multiple backends? The smb.conf man page
    > simply states that each backend will be searched in turn but why would
    > one ever use such a setup?
    >
    > Secondly, the man page does not mention the 'guest' backend. To me
    > such a backend implies that an authentication challenge would never be
    > refused (guest is a catchall).
    >
    > Comments?
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail at http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca

  3. Re: [Samba] question re multiple backends and the 'guest' backend

  4. Re: [Samba] question re multiple backends and the 'guest' backend

    Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 06:35:00AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

    > Gary Dale wrote:
    > > I suspect that "guest" will simply allow someone to log on as a guest
    > > with whatever privileges (usually none) you give to guests.

    > The "guest" backend is builtin and should not be specified
    > in smb.conf.

    We also removed the support foir multiple passdb backends in latest
    versions of samba IIRC, so passdb backend should never list more than 1
    backend.

    --
    Simo Sorce idra@samba.org

  5. Re: [Samba] question re multiple backends and the 'guest' backend

    On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 03:25:11PM +0000, idra@samba.org wrote:

    > We also removed the support foir multiple passdb backends in latest
    > versions of samba IIRC, so passdb backend should never list more than 1
    > backend.

    Does this means it's not possible anymore to have most users coming
    from an LDAP server, and to have additional "local" users (because
    they can't be added to the LDAP server which is managed by other
    people, for example) ?

    If this is not possible anymore this sucks.

    bye

    Jerome Alet