[Samba] LDAP, tdbsam, and profiles - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] LDAP, tdbsam, and profiles - Samba ; I have a new PDC ready to replace an older one (which is using LDAP locally). The new one will be using tdbsam. I plan to first change LDAP on the existing system to the tdbsam backend and ensure proper ...

  1. [Samba] LDAP, tdbsam, and profiles

    I have a new PDC ready to replace an older one (which is using LDAP
    locally). The new one will be using tdbsam.

    I plan to first change LDAP on the existing system to the tdbsam
    backend and ensure proper functioning. I understand I can use the
    pdbedit tool to make this change. Comments?

    At this point I would like to ask how profiles (which will be stored
    locally on the clients) will be affected by logging on to the
    subsequently new PDC. The docs say that I need to import data from the
    old system to the new (again using pdbedit) but if the current system
    uses the backend only for authentication why does this need to be done?
    How does the backend influence local profiles?

    Thanks for any advice or comments.

  2. Re: [Samba] LDAP, tdbsam, and profiles

    Peter Matulis wrote:
    > I have a new PDC ready to replace an older one (which is using LDAP
    > locally). The new one will be using tdbsam.
    >
    > I plan to first change LDAP on the existing system to the tdbsam
    > backend and ensure proper functioning. I understand I can use the
    > pdbedit tool to make this change. Comments?

    Why switch? Why not migrate everything to the new PDC? LDAP allows you
    to use multiple domain controllers and keep them synchronized, which
    gives you a greater degree of safety during the move to the new domain
    controller.

    > At this point I would like to ask how profiles (which will be stored
    > locally on the clients) will be affected by logging on to the
    > subsequently new PDC. The docs say that I need to import data from the
    > old system to the new (again using pdbedit) but if the current system
    > uses the backend only for authentication why does this need to be done?
    > How does the backend influence local profiles?

    If you aren't using roaming profiles, then you only need to move the
    account data, login scripts, etc..

  3. Re: [Samba] LDAP, tdbsam, and profiles

    --- Gary Dale wrote:

    > Peter Matulis wrote:
    > > I have a new PDC ready to replace an older one (which is using LDAP
    > > locally). The new one will be using tdbsam.
    > >
    > > I plan to first change LDAP on the existing system to the tdbsam
    > > backend and ensure proper functioning. I understand I can use the
    > > pdbedit tool to make this change. Comments?
    > >

    > Why switch? Why not migrate everything to the new PDC? LDAP allows
    > you
    > to use multiple domain controllers and keep them synchronized, which
    > gives you a greater degree of safety during the move to the new
    > domain controller.

    Because the setup is not big enough to warrant LDAP (only 20 users). I
    also did not set up the LDAP so I don't want an unknown config in my
    new setup.

    > > At this point I would like to ask how profiles (which will be

    > stored
    > > locally on the clients) will be affected by logging on to the
    > > subsequently new PDC. The docs say that I need to import data from

    > the
    > > old system to the new (again using pdbedit) but if the current

    > system
    > > uses the backend only for authentication why does this need to be

    > done?
    > > How does the backend influence local profiles?
    > >

    > If you aren't using roaming profiles, then you only need to move the
    > account data, login scripts, etc..

    By account data you mean usernames and passwords?

    Without exporting any "account data", on a test client I logged in to
    the new PDC and I got a totally blank desktop (with the exception of
    the trash can). I'm not using roaming profiles. I don't understand
    this result. Can someone clarify?

    Peter

    Get news delivered with the All new Yahoo! Mail. Enjoy RSS feeds right on your Mail page. Start today at http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca