[Samba] delete readonly = no ..not working on windows - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] delete readonly = no ..not working on windows - Samba ; hi all, i have problems with windows clients (XP). i want files with readonly flag to not be allowed to delete delete readonly = no ...works with linux clients but on windows you can delete files anyway. i'll be thankful ...

  1. [Samba] delete readonly = no ..not working on windows

    hi all,

    i have problems with windows clients (XP).
    i want files with readonly flag to not be allowed to delete

    delete readonly = no ...works with linux clients

    but on windows you can delete files anyway.

    i'll be thankful for any hint

    greetings, rado.

  2. Re: [Samba] delete readonly = no ..not working on windows

    On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 09:56:23PM +0200, xrado wrote:
    > hi all,
    >
    > i have problems with windows clients (XP).
    > i want files with readonly flag to not be allowed to delete
    >
    > delete readonly = no ...works with linux clients
    >
    > but on windows you can delete files anyway.

    I just checked this with 3.0.25rc2 (the current SAMBA_3_0_25
    tree) and it works as expected.

    Jeremy.

  3. Re: [Samba] delete readonly = no ..not working on windows

    i tried with samba 3.0.22 and 3.0.24 and not working
    or i have something misconfigurated

    when i copy file to share it have -rwxrw----
    after flaging it readonly become -r-xr-----

    and i can still delete it with windows explorer

    any idea why?

    Jeremy Allison wrote:
    > On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 09:56:23PM +0200, xrado wrote:
    >
    >> hi all,
    >>
    >> i have problems with windows clients (XP).
    >> i want files with readonly flag to not be allowed to delete
    >>
    >> delete readonly = no ...works with linux clients
    >>
    >> but on windows you can delete files anyway.
    >>

    > I just checked this with 3.0.25rc2 (the current SAMBA_3_0_25
    > tree) and it works as expected.
    >
    > Jeremy.

  4. Re: [Samba] delete readonly = no ..not working on windows

    btw ..this is how my smb.conf looks:

    [global]
    workgroup = SAMBA
    netbios name = SAMBA_FS
    server string = Samba %v on %L
    security = user
    log level = 1
    log file = /var/log/samba/smb.log
    max log size = 1000
    time server = Yes
    local master = yes
    preferred master = Yes
    os level = 65
    wins support = Yes
    hosts allow = 192.168.1.
    veto oplock files = /*.*db/*.*DB/

    [data]
    comment = DATA
    path = /home/data
    valid users = @smb
    write list = @smb
    create mask = 0770
    directory mask = 0770
    veto files = /*.mp3/*.avi
    browseable = No
    map readonly = yes
    delete readonly = no
    vfs objects = recycle
    recycle:noversions = *.doc
    recycle:exclude_dir = /tmp
    recycle:exclude = *.tmp *.bak ~$*
    recycle:maxsize = 100000000
    recycle:versions = Yes
    recycle:touch = Yes
    recycle:keeptree = Yes
    recycle:repository = -trash-/%U

  5. Re: [Samba] delete readonly = no ..not working on windows

    On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 11:49:49PM +0200, xrado wrote:
    > i tried with samba 3.0.22 and 3.0.24 and not working
    > or i have something misconfigurated
    >
    > when i copy file to share it have -rwxrw----
    > after flaging it readonly become -r-xr-----
    >
    > and i can still delete it with windows explorer
    >
    > any idea why?

    Firstly, modern Samba stores DOS attributes
    in extended attributes, so removing the 'w'
    bits doesn't make a file read-only, it changes
    the access permissions (not the same thing).

    Check what the setting of the user.DOSATTRIB
    ea is.

    Secondly, Windows explorer asks if you want
    to delete a read-only file first - if you
    say "yes" it removes the read-only attrib
    then deletes it.

    Samba works correctly with these calls.

    Jeremy.

  6. Re: [Samba] delete readonly = no ..not working on windows

    so is there a way to prevent deletion of read-only flagged files?

    or maybe even disallow deletion of files with some prefix in file name

    anyway i want to prevent deletion of files that are marked some way on
    writeable share

    rado.

    Jeremy Allison wrote:
    > On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 11:49:49PM +0200, xrado wrote:
    >
    >> i tried with samba 3.0.22 and 3.0.24 and not working
    >> or i have something misconfigurated
    >>
    >> when i copy file to share it have -rwxrw----
    >> after flaging it readonly become -r-xr-----
    >>
    >> and i can still delete it with windows explorer
    >>
    >> any idea why?
    >>

    > Firstly, modern Samba stores DOS attributes
    > in extended attributes, so removing the 'w'
    > bits doesn't make a file read-only, it changes
    > the access permissions (not the same thing).
    >
    > Check what the setting of the user.DOSATTRIB
    > ea is.
    >
    > Secondly, Windows explorer asks if you want
    > to delete a read-only file first - if you
    > say "yes" it removes the read-only attrib
    > then deletes it.
    >
    > Samba works correctly with these calls.
    >
    > Jeremy.

  7. RE: [Samba] delete readonly = no ..not working on windows

    Not built in.

    As mentioned, this is impossible to do in Windows itself (unless you do
    some pretty complicated Group Policy stuff in AD).

    Carlos

    Jeremy Allison wrote:
    > On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 11:49:49PM +0200, xrado wrote:
    >
    >> i tried with samba 3.0.22 and 3.0.24 and not working
    >> or i have something misconfigurated
    >>
    >> when i copy file to share it have -rwxrw----
    >> after flaging it readonly become -r-xr-----
    >>
    >> and i can still delete it with windows explorer
    >>
    >> any idea why?
    >>

    > Firstly, modern Samba stores DOS attributes
    > in extended attributes, so removing the 'w'
    > bits doesn't make a file read-only, it changes
    > the access permissions (not the same thing).
    >
    > Check what the setting of the user.DOSATTRIB
    > ea is.
    >
    > Secondly, Windows explorer asks if you want
    > to delete a read-only file first - if you
    > say "yes" it removes the read-only attrib
    > then deletes it.
    >
    > Samba works correctly with these calls.
    >
    > Jeremy.

  8. Re: [Samba] delete readonly = no ..not working on windows

    On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 05:51:57PM +0200, xrado wrote:
    > so is there a way to prevent deletion of read-only flagged files?
    >
    > or maybe even disallow deletion of files with some prefix in file name
    >
    > anyway i want to prevent deletion of files that are marked some way on
    > writeable share

    If you put them in a directory with no POSIX write permissions,
    then they won't be deletable.

    Jeremy.