[Samba] problem setting ntlm authentication for apache using mod_auth_winbind - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] problem setting ntlm authentication for apache using mod_auth_winbind - Samba ; Hello list, I'm trying to set up ntlm authentication for using mod_auth_winbind. Unfortunately during the "ntlm dance" some errors occurs. It complains about Oversized message, Invalid request and ntlm_auth goes to defunc... ( broken pipe as we can see in ...

  1. [Samba] problem setting ntlm authentication for apache using mod_auth_winbind

    Hello list,

    I'm trying to set up ntlm authentication for using mod_auth_winbind.

    Unfortunately during the "ntlm dance" some errors occurs. It
    complains about Oversized message, Invalid request and ntlm_auth
    goes to defunc... ( broken pipe as we can see in apache error log file )
    apache 31623 31578 1 19:25 ? 00:00:00 [ntlm_auth]

    Log file from apache is here:
    http://ncpnc.obsysa.net/combor/apache_arror.log

    I was trying to trace problem with strace but logfile contains
    nothing useful ( except the broken pipe information ).

    http://ncpnc.obsysa.net/combor/strace.log

    My share definition looks like below.

    Alias /auth/ntlm/ "/var/www/auth/ntlm/"

    AuthType NTLM
    NTLMAuth on
    NegotiateAuth off
    NTLMBasicAuth on
    NTLMAuthHelper "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth -d10 --option='auth methods =
    winbind' --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp"
    NTLMBasicAuthoritative off
    Require valid-user

    Host is correctly joined to AD and users can browse thru samba shares.

    The most useful information about errors are in attached log files
    so im not going to repeat them here.

    Is there any other information I could supply to resolve the problem?

    thanks in advance and best regards

  2. Re: [Samba] problem setting ntlm authentication for apache using mod_auth_winbind

    combor@gazeta.pl wrote:
    > Hello list,
    >
    > I'm trying to set up ntlm authentication for using mod_auth_winbind.
    >
    > Unfortunately during the "ntlm dance" some errors occurs. It
    > complains about Oversized message, Invalid request and ntlm_auth
    > goes to defunc... ( broken pipe as we can see in apache error log file )
    > apache 31623 31578 1 19:25 ? 00:00:00 [ntlm_auth]
    >
    > Log file from apache is here:
    > http://ncpnc.obsysa.net/combor/apache_arror.log
    >

    > I was trying to trace problem with strace but logfile contains
    > nothing useful ( except the broken pipe information ).
    >
    > http://ncpnc.obsysa.net/combor/strace.log
    >
    > My share definition looks like below.
    >
    > Alias /auth/ntlm/ "/var/www/auth/ntlm/"
    >

    > AuthType NTLM
    > NTLMAuth on
    > NegotiateAuth off
    > NTLMBasicAuth on
    > NTLMAuthHelper "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth -d10 --option='auth methods =
    > winbind' --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp"
    > NTLMBasicAuthoritative off
    > Require valid-user
    >

    > Host is correctly joined to AD and users can browse thru samba shares.
    >
    > The most useful information about errors are in attached log files
    > so im not going to repeat them here.
    >
    > Is there any other information I could supply to resolve the problem?

    Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

    Mogens

    Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
    Email: mk@crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk

  3. Re: [Samba] problem setting ntlm authentication for apache using mod_auth_winbind

    Check whether "KeepAlive On" is set in apache configuration.
    Also configure mod_auth_winbind as mentioned below.

    AuthName "NTLM Authentication thingy"
    NTLMAuth on
    NTLMAuthHelper "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp"
    NTLMBasicAuthoritative on
    AuthType NTLM
    require valid-user

+ Reply to Thread