[Samba] wbinfo on a PDC - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] wbinfo on a PDC - Samba ; Hi all, When running winbind on an LDAP authenticated Samba domain controller should it return lists from wbinfo -u & wbinfo or does this not happed on controllers? All I get is Error looking up domain users and I need ...

  1. [Samba] wbinfo on a PDC

    Hi all,

    When running winbind on an LDAP authenticated Samba domain controller
    should it return lists from wbinfo -u & wbinfo or does this not happed
    on controllers? All I get is Error looking up domain users and I need
    to know if this a feature or a problem.

    Cheers,

    Jools

  2. Re: [Samba] wbinfo on a PDC

    Hello,

    Julian Pilfold-Bagwell schrieb:
    > When running winbind on an LDAP authenticated Samba domain controller
    > should it return lists from wbinfo -u & wbinfo or does this not happed on
    > controllers? All I get is Error looking up domain users and I need to
    > know if this a feature or a problem.

    I posted the same question yesterday too. I only get the accounts from the
    trusted domain, but not of the PDC itself.

    I think its currently not implemented, because I found this in an older
    posting:

    Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
    >winbindd on a PDC only alloocates Unix ids for users and groups from
    >trusted domains. Not its own domain.

    But I wanted to know if it`s planned to support this in future. Or maybe
    there is a way to setup this. I need to have the accounts of both domains
    on both of my DCs.

    Regards
    Marc

    --
    Marc Muehlfeld
    Zentrum fuer Humangenetik und Laboratoriumsmedizin Dr. Klein und Dr. Rost

  3. Re: [Samba] wbinfo on a PDC

    On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 18:34 +0200, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > simo schrieb:
    > > On domain controllers it will not return anything except trusted domains
    > > accounts if you have any trust set up.

    > What is the reason behind this?
    >
    > I have two domains and the users of both domains have to access shares on
    > each other DC. When I start winbind on one PDC, I have the accounts of the
    > other domain on it. But then my local accounts aren`t working again (ldap
    > backend).
    >
    > On member server I have the accounts of both domains.
    >
    > Any way to configure this?

    Sorry I do not fully understand what problem you have. winbind and ldap
    shouldn't interfere in any way, please post configuration files and
    samba versions and maybe someone can help you.

    Simo.

    --
    Simo Sorce
    Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer

  4. Re: [Samba] wbinfo on a PDC

    Hiya,

    My situation is that I have a PDC with LDAP and samba and a member
    server with samba/winbind. I can get a full NT user and group listing
    from the member server using wbinfo but the PDC returns the error message.

    Both give the same results when getent passwd and group are run and net
    groupmap list produces identical groupmaps but the shares on the member
    are inaccessable from client PCs.

    All I really need to know is whether wbinfo -u & -g will produce a list
    or users or groups on the PDC if it is correctly functioning or whether
    the fact that it's a PDC makes wbinfo redundant. Is the failure to
    produce a list a fault or a feature

    Cheers,

    Jools

    Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > simo schrieb:
    >
    >> On domain controllers it will not return anything except trusted domains
    >> accounts if you have any trust set up.
    >>

    > What is the reason behind this?
    >
    > I have two domains and the users of both domains have to access shares on
    > each other DC. When I start winbind on one PDC, I have the accounts of the
    > other domain on it. But then my local accounts aren`t working again (ldap
    > backend).
    >
    > On member server I have the accounts of both domains.
    >
    > Any way to configure this?
    >

    > Regards
    > Marc

  5. Re: [Samba] wbinfo on a PDC

    Hi again,

    The problem I have is that I have a PDC and a member server but the
    permissions don't seem to propogate from one to another. If I run getent
    passwd and group I get all the users and groups from the UNIX/LDAP
    backend and if I run net groupmap list I get identical group mappings on
    all my servers. wbinfo -u & -g return the correct NT user and group
    lists on the member server but return an error when run on the PDC.

    I really need to know whether wbinfo should return anything on the PDC
    or whether being a PDC means it's all handled behind the scenes by Samba
    and the error message is redundant.

    Cheers,

    jools