Re: [Samba] requesting assistance in samba-samba migration - Samba

This is a discussion on Re: [Samba] requesting assistance in samba-samba migration - Samba ; The user's profile is usually stored locally. If you log on as the same user, you should get the same profile. The only time this wouldn't happen was if Windows thought you were logging on a new user. It would ...

  1. Re: [Samba] requesting assistance in samba-samba migration

    The user's profile is usually stored locally. If you log on as the same
    user, you should get the same profile. The only time this wouldn't
    happen was if Windows thought you were logging on a new user. It would
    do this if your new server didn't have the same user database.

    In other words, it's not sufficient to set up a new Samba server. You
    also need to migrate the user account information. Since you are
    currently using LDAP, that should be simple. Simply point your new Samba
    server to use the same LDAP database that the current Samba server uses.

    If you want to migrate to a different datastore (not use LDAP), do that
    in a separate step. However, most people seem to prefer using LDAP. Once
    you've got it working with Samba, why would you want to switch?

    Peter Matulis wrote:
    > I have inherited a Samba server and would like to migrate the
    > installation to a new machine. We are using Samba as a PDC and my
    > currrent worry is what users will see on their desktop (as well as
    > other changes?) once they log on to the new server.
    >
    > As a test I have logged on with my laptop (running WinXP virtually) and
    > I get a completely blank desktop (with the exception of the trash can).
    > Will users lose anything? I am unclear on this.
    >
    > The current/old samba config is posted below. It is using LDAP but the
    > new config will not. Thank you very much.
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > [global]
    > workgroup = exampledomain
    > netbios name = examplehost
    > server string = Samba Server %v
    >
    > printcap name = cups
    > load printers = yes
    > printing = cups
    > printer admin = @"Domain Admins"
    >
    > log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    > max log size = 50
    > map to guest = bad user
    > security = user
    >
    > encrypt passwords = yes
    > smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    > obey pam restrictions = yes
    >
    > socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    > bind interfaces only = yes
    > interfaces = 10.9.2.6
    >
    > os level = 32
    > domain master = yes
    > preferred master = yes
    > domain logons = yes
    > logon path =
    >
    > passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://10.9.2.2 smbpasswd guest
    > ldap admin dn = cn=manager,dc=exampledomain,dc=com
    > ldap suffix = dc=exampledomain,dc=com
    > ldap machine suffix = ou=Hosts
    > ldap user suffix = ou=People
    > ldap group suffix = ou=Group
    > ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
    >
    > wins support = yes
    > dns proxy = no
    >
    > dos charset = 850
    > unix charset = ISO8859-1
    >

    > Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail at http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca

  2. Re: [Samba] requesting assistance in samba-samba migration

    --- Gary Dale wrote:

    > The user's profile is usually stored locally. If you log on as the
    > same
    > user, you should get the same profile. The only time this wouldn't
    > happen was if Windows thought you were logging on a new user. It
    > would
    > do this if your new server didn't have the same user database.

    But if the profile is stored locally why would a user get a different
    desktop?

    > In other words, it's not sufficient to set up a new Samba server. You
    >
    > also need to migrate the user account information. Since you are
    > currently using LDAP, that should be simple. Simply point your new
    > Samba
    > server to use the same LDAP database that the current Samba server
    > uses.
    >
    > If you want to migrate to a different datastore (not use LDAP), do
    > that
    > in a separate step. However, most people seem to prefer using LDAP.
    > Once
    > you've got it working with Samba, why would you want to switch?

    I want to get rid of the current server completely and LDAP is running
    on it locally. I also find LDAP ill-suited for this environment.
    There are only about 20 users being managed.

    What is the separate step you mention? Can I export the data out of
    LDAP?

    Thanks for your help.