[Samba] hide directories? - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] hide directories? - Samba ; Hi, is there a possibility to hide directories from to bee seen from a windows box? I have a samba share containing several directories. Some of them have permissions only for a privileged group of users (group special) and some ...

  1. [Samba] hide directories?

    Hi,
    is there a possibility to hide directories from to bee seen from a windows
    box?

    I have a samba share containing several directories. Some of them have
    permissions only for a privileged group of users (group special) and some
    others are allowed for all users (group users) and some for a special
    subgroup of users (group subusers). What I want is that only members of
    group special are able to see the existence of those directories that are
    only accessible for them and also only members of subgroup are able to see
    the existence of their directories. I was used to have this comfort on our
    prevoius novell netware server and I think this is a great feature of
    security. People that donīt see the existence of certain directories or
    files donīt ask for them and donīt think about why they canīt access them.

    Please feel free to ask for more information if you need them to answer my
    question.

    Thanks in advance
    Klemens

  2. [Samba] Re: hide directories?

    Hi Mauricio,
    you made my day! It works. Thank you.
    Klemens
    --

    "Mauricio Silveira" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    Just add the parameter "hide unreadable = yes" to the share declaration.
    If you want to hide Rean-Only files too, just add "hide unwriteable
    files = yes"
    I think a service restart might be needed, 1st try to logoff/logon in a
    client machine, the try the command `smbcontrol smbd reload-config`
    then logoff/logon again; If both fail, simply restart the service and
    all goes well.

    Mauricio

    Klemens Lichter wrote:
    > Hi,
    > is there a possibility to hide directories from to bee seen from a windows
    > box?
    >
    > I have a samba share containing several directories. Some of them have
    > permissions only for a privileged group of users (group special) and some
    > others are allowed for all users (group users) and some for a special
    > subgroup of users (group subusers). What I want is that only members of
    > group special are able to see the existence of those directories that are
    > only accessible for them and also only members of subgroup are able to see
    > the existence of their directories. I was used to have this comfort on our
    > prevoius novell netware server and I think this is a great feature of
    > security. People that donīt see the existence of certain directories or
    > files donīt ask for them and donīt think about why they canīt access them.
    >
    > Please feel free to ask for more information if you need them to answer my
    > question.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Klemens

  3. Re: [Samba] hide directories?