[Samba] Samba 3.0.24 - group permissions - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Samba 3.0.24 - group permissions - Samba ; Hello - I upgraded from FC4 to FC6. My samba configuration (samba 3.0.1x) was working just fine until I upgraded to FC6 and Samba 3.0.24. I had shares who where protected and only some users and groups can access them. ...

  1. [Samba] Samba 3.0.24 - group permissions

    Hello - I upgraded from FC4 to FC6. My samba configuration (samba
    3.0.1x) was working just fine until I upgraded to FC6 and Samba 3.0.24.
    I had shares who where protected and only some users and groups can
    access them. I used valid users = @wireless, where the group wireless
    had 10 users. Before the upgrade this was working just fine. Now
    nobody from @wireless group members can access the share. For the
    moment I got around it by listing every user of the group @wireless in
    the "valid users = user1 user2" line. I did some research and found
    that samba version 3.0.24 uses something called "getgroupmap". OK here
    are the questions:

    q1) How to include my existing groups into the new samba setup, without
    redoing everything.
    q2) My server is a PDC, is it possible for samba to act as a AD controller?
    q3) What is the correct way to setup a PDC using samba 3.0.24, and have
    the group permissions work correctly?
    q4) Are there any how to's on working with the new group permissions and
    why did it change?
    q5) Some of the research was mentioning off group permission problems
    and bugs within the new version of samba 3.0.23 and greater. Is this
    also the case with version 3.0.24 and how do I get around it?

    Thank You
    Sincerely,
    Ralf Wiegand

  2. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.0.24 - group permissions

    Ralf,

    One of the biggest changes (3.0.23b) is that if the group or user is a
    domain group or user, it must be prefixed (no longer optional) with the
    domain, e.g.
    valid users = DOMAIN\ralf, @DOMAIN\wireless.

    See list of changes (especially 3.0.23 and higher) here:
    http://us4.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.0.24.html

    and if needed:

    http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/....html#id331362

    Dale