[Samba] WINS gives wrong IP. - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] WINS gives wrong IP. - Samba ; Hello list members. I have a curious problem with Samba 3.0.20 on Slackware 11. This net has 7 PCs and 6 of them "run" WinME. I have activated WINS support on the GNU/Linux/Samba server. When I do > ping servidor ...

  1. [Samba] WINS gives wrong IP.

    Hello list members.
    I have a curious problem with Samba 3.0.20 on Slackware 11.
    This net has 7 PCs and 6 of them "run" WinME. I have activated WINS
    support on the GNU/Linux/Samba server. When I do

    > ping servidor

    on a WinME box, it pings to 192.168.0.1, which is the "oficina2" (WinME)
    box not "servidor" (Slackware). I've looked at the wins.dat file and
    found this: SERVIDOR has 3 entries, each one of them has 192.168.0.1 as
    the first IP address followed by 192.168.0.2; which is wrong because
    I've set up the only ethernet adapter in "servidor" as 192.168.0.2 and
    "oficina2" with 192.168.0.1.
    I don't use DNS, /etc/hosts has correct values for
    pairs. Please help me with this one because I can't solve this on my own.
    Thanks in advance.-

    --
    :: Nicolás Conde ::

    "...querer informarse sin esfuerzo es una ilusión que remite al mito
    publicitario antes que a la movilización cívica. Informarse fatiga. Ese
    es el precio que un ciudadano paga para tener el derecho de participar
    con inteligencia en la vida democrática."

    Ignacio Ramonet (Le Monde Diplomatique, oct/93).

  2. Re: [Samba] WINS gives wrong IP.

    On Saturday 14 April 2007, Nicolás Conde wrote:
    > When I do
    >
    > > ping servidor

    > on a WinME box, it pings to 192.168.0.1, which is the "oficina2" (WinME)
    > box not "servidor" (Slackware). I've looked at the wins.dat file and
    > found this: SERVIDOR has 3 entries, each one of them has 192.168.0.1 as
    > the first IP address followed by 192.168.0.2; which is wrong because
    > I've set up the only ethernet adapter in "servidor" as 192.168.0.2 and
    > "oficina2" with 192.168.0.1.

    Stop Samba and delete the wins.dat file, then restart Samba. Unless something
    else is wrong that should remove the rogue entry.

    Also, there's an odd problem that I think only affects some versions of Win95
    where the primary WINS server is ignored and only the secondary used, so when
    there is only one WINS server it's always a good idea to place its IP address
    into both the primary and secondary WINS server fields.

    Chris