This is becoming an interesting problem. The user of the affected machine I
was dealing with was in dire need of it working. I ended up using the repair
option from the install cd and when that finished and the user logged in
everything worked. So at this point I am unsure as to what the cause is. We
also are running the dreaded Symantec AV. If I get another machine that this
pops up on then hopefully I can have the time to try and isolate the cause.

Thanks again for the info.

--jim

--
Jim Summers
School of Computer Science-University of Oklahoma