[Samba] Moving a Samba PDC from Solaris 2.8 to CentOS 4.4 - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Moving a Samba PDC from Solaris 2.8 to CentOS 4.4 - Samba ; Hello, I try to move a Samba-PDC (3.0.24) from Solaris 2.8 to CentOS 4.4 with the guidance from: http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/....html#id333969 (Replacing a Domain Controller) At the moment I am trying this in a test environment. This means the following (not the ...

  1. [Samba] Moving a Samba PDC from Solaris 2.8 to CentOS 4.4

    Hello,

    I try to move a Samba-PDC (3.0.24) from Solaris 2.8 to CentOS 4.4 with the
    guidance from:
    http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/....html#id333969
    (Replacing a Domain Controller)

    At the moment I am trying this in a test environment. This means the
    following (not the real names/IPs. Just for illustration ;-)):

    smb.conf entries:
    netbios name = smbtest
    interfaces = 1.1.1.1/255.255.255.0

    Hostname Solaris: solaris
    Virtual network interface with ip: 1.1.1.1

    Hostname CentOS: smbtest
    Real network interface with ip: 1.1.1.1

    Than I followed the docs expect that I don't power off the Solaris machine.
    I just stop the samba daemons and delete the virtual network interface.

    When I did that, the Windows XP clients can't login in the Domain anymore.

    After some investigation I found out that the SIDs of the domain and of
    the Linux-host are not the same than before on the Solaris host.

    When I change the SIDs with "net setlocalsid" and "net setdomainsid" to the
    original ones it seems to work again.

    Any ideas why that happens? Is this the expected behavior (because of the
    hostname change)?
    Do I have something else to change to test the PDC move?

    Best regards,

    Ralf

  2. RE: [Samba] Moving a Samba PDC from Solaris 2.8 to CentOS 4.4

    When setting up any additional domain controllers (BDC) or migrating to a
    new PDC the SID needs to match the PDC.

    This needs to be manually set using the "net setlocalsid" regardless of the
    backend you are using such as LDAP tdbsam and smbpasswd; this is expected
    behavior.

    SID's are generated automatically when samba initially starts for the first
    time.

    Cheers,

    Adrian Sender

[...]

    believed to be clean.