[Samba] Problems sharing HP Officejet 6210 Linux --> XP - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Problems sharing HP Officejet 6210 Linux --> XP - Samba ; [cross-posted from www.tek-tips.com] Dear samba forum, I've now wasted most of a weekend on this issue, so now it's time to swallow my pride and ask for help! Background: My main home computer died. I can't afford to replace it ...

  1. [Samba] Problems sharing HP Officejet 6210 Linux --> XP

    [cross-posted from www.tek-tips.com]

    Dear samba forum,

    I've now wasted most of a weekend on this issue, so now it's time to swallow
    my pride and ask for help!

    Background:

    My main home computer died. I can't afford to replace it right now, so I'm
    attempting to retread an old AMD PC into a linux print/file server. Clients
    are a mixed bag of Windows XP home/professional PCs. The printer is an HP
    Officejet 6210 multifunction print/scan/fax. I'm only attempting to get
    basic printing working between Windows/Linux.

    File shares to the PCs are working great. The printer is working locally via
    cups and hplip. The printer is exported via Samba and is visible from the
    windows boxes (i.e., you can see it in Network Neighborhood and get the
    status of the print queue using the DOS 'net print' command). You can see my
    smb.conf file at the bottom of this post.

    Problem:

    The basic catch-22 with this printer model is that the drivers aren't part
    of the standard XP distro. The XP printer installation wizard expects the
    drivers to be available from the print server. After searching the net, I
    came across this basic installation method:

    1. Temporarily plug the printer into the XP PC and install the drivers from
    the Printer CD. Then plug the printer back into the linux server.

    At this point 2 techniques were suggested, neither of which worked for me:

    2a. Go back to the wizard and install the remote printer, using the correct
    driver this time. This apparantly succeeds, but printint the test page fails
    with an uninformative popup inviting me to go to the troubleshooting wizard
    (which is equally unhelpful).

    or

    2b. Hack the local printer configuration by going to properties-->ports and
    creating a Local port with the value \\\, as shared
    by Samba. This step fails for me with error 66 "The network resource type is
    not correct".

    So that's it, I'm stuck. I would love to hear from anyone who has worked
    through this problem already. Failing that, how can I pick apart this
    problem to figure out what's failing?

    Note: There was also some discussion in the forums about the print$ share
    and loading drivers on the Linux box, but I never figured out if that was
    relevant to my use case (Linux server/Windows client).

    Many thanks in advance to those who reply.

    Cheers,

    Larry

    My smb.conf

    # Samba config file created using SWAT
    # from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
    # Date: 2007/04/08 18:33:12

    [global]
    workgroup = HOMENET
    server string = Samba Server
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 50
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g samba-clients
    -s
    /bin/false -M %u
    os level = 65
    preferred master = Yes
    domain master = Yes
    dns proxy = No
    wins support = Yes
    ldap ssl = no
    cups options = raw

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    read only = No
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775
    browseable = No

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /usr/spool/samba
    printable = Yes
    browseable = No

    [hp6210]
    comment = The HP multifunction printer w. scan and fax capability
    path = /usr/spool/samba
    printer admin = root, lbarnett
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes
    min print space = 2000
    printable = Yes
    cups options =
    printer name = hp6210
    oplocks = No
    share modes = No

    [shared]
    available = No

    [print$]
    comment = Samba print driver download area
    path = /etc/samba/drivers
    admin users = root, lbarnett
    guest ok = Yes

  2. Re: [Samba] Problems sharing HP Officejet 6210 Linux --> XP

    When sharing a printer via samba you can upload windows' drivers to
    samba server.
    I spent many time to do this solution.

    It's needed upload the driver and create a correct device mode.

    Upload driver for a samba server can be make either rpcclient(hard
    mode) or using Windows Wizard for add drivers(easy mode).

    Please before make any changes on server read from title -> "Creating
    the [print$] Share" to -> "Setting Default Print Options for Client
    Drivers" here:
    http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samb....html#id358044

    2007/4/10, 1arrybarnett :

    > Problem:
    >
    > The basic catch-22 with this printer model is that the drivers aren't part
    > of the standard XP distro. The XP printer installation wizard expects the
    > drivers to be available from the print server. After searching the net, I
    > came across this basic installation method:
    >
    > 1. Temporarily plug the printer into the XP PC and install the drivers from
    > the Printer CD. Then plug the printer back into the linux server.

    Nooo... please don't do this. worse workaround. :-)

    > At this point 2 techniques were suggested, neither of which worked for me:
    >
    > 2a. Go back to the wizard and install the remote printer, using the correct
    > driver this time. This apparantly succeeds, but printint the test page fails
    > with an uninformative popup inviting me to go to the troubleshooting wizard
    > (which is equally unhelpful).
    >
    > or
    >
    > 2b. Hack the local printer configuration by going to properties-->ports and
    > creating a Local port with the value \\\, as shared
    > by Samba. This step fails for me with error 66 "The network resource type is
    > not correct".

    For me work.. but isn't necessary.

    --
    Att.
    Lutieri G. B.

  3. Re: [Samba] Problems sharing HP Officejet 6210 Linux --> XP

    Update:

    Another weekend shot, and nothing to show for it. I must say, this system is
    really not ready for primetime.

    I explored the whole print$ share issue and attempted to load my XP drivers
    into it. This effort came acropper because of the following things that
    didn't work:

    Attempting to load drivers using the Windows Add Printer Wizard

    According to the Samba-HOWTO...

    Installation of a valid printer driver is not straightforward. You must
    attempt to view the printer properties for the printer to which you want the
    driver assigned. Open Windows Explorer, open Network Neighborhood, browse to
    the Samba host, open Samba's Printers folder, right-click on the printer
    icon, and select Properties.... You are now trying to view printer and
    driver properties for a queue that has this default NULL driver assigned.
    This will result in the following error message: “ Device settings cannot be
    displayed. The driver for the specified printer is not installed, only
    spooler properties will be displayed. Do you want to install the driver
    now?”

    ....but it doesn't. All I get is an info page telling me the queue name and
    host, with an ok and cancel button.

    Attempting to load the drivers using rpcclient

    The basic method suggested was:

    1. Print out the printer test page on the windows box to get the list of
    needed files.

    Ok. I did this. It's a long list for the 6210.

    2. Copy these files to the W32X86 subdirectory of the samba print$ share.

    The suggested method assumed you already had the drivers on a L/Unix
    workstation, since it involved using smbclient to copy the files. As it
    happens, I have cygwin openssh on my laptop so I used that. Ok so far.

    3. Run rpcclient adddriver to get the files in the right locations and tell
    Samba about the new driver.

    This didn't work. Here's my commandline:

    rpcclient -d 4 -U'root%******' -c 'adddriver "Windows NT x86" \
    "hp6210:hpz2ku12.dll:hpop6212.dat:hpzpm312.dll:hpfm om12.hlp:NULL:RAW:\
    hpzpm312.dll,hpzimc12.dll,hpzstw12.exe,hpzslk12.dl l,hpzr3212.dll,hpzrm312.dll,\
    hpzcon12.dll,hpzcfg12.exe,hpzeng12.exe,hpzflt12.dl l,hpzime12.dll,hpzjui12.dll,\
    hpzpre12.exe,hpzres12.dll,hpzstc12.exe,hpztbi12.dl l,hpztbu12.exe,hpztbx12.exe,\
    hpzlnt12.dll,hpzsnt12.dll,hpcoi12.dll,hpzvip12.dll ,hpzims12.dll,hpzpcl12.dll,hpofax08.dll,\
    hpof6212.dat 3' LINUXSERVER

    This command returned WERR_UNKNOWN_PRINTER_DRIVER

    Now for the latest catch-22. All of the examples I've seen regarding the
    above command assume existence of a printer .PPD file describing the
    printer; however, on Windows, the printer is described by a binary .DAT
    file. I am confused. Do I need a PPD file that describes my windows dlls,
    exes, etc? If so, what does such a file Or do I need to download some
    CUPS-specific windows drivers and use those instead of the HP-provided
    drivers?

    My current status is that a) I can't load windows drivers into the samba
    [print$] share. Absent those, when I try to connect to the Samba printer
    from the windows client, it apparently succeeds, but all panels in the
    printer properties are greyed out. Man, am I stuck!

    Cheers,

    Larry

  4. Re: [Samba] Problems sharing HP Officejet 6210 Linux --> XP

    Larry,

    Comparing your smb.conf to mine, for CUPS printing, I don't see the
    global parameters
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups

    Also, I assume you have assigned rights/privileges to add/manage
    printers as described here:

    http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/....html#id341486

    Dale