[Samba] Samba 3.0 and XP roaming profiles - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Samba 3.0 and XP roaming profiles - Samba ; Hello friends, I am running Samba 3.0 on RHEL4 server. Around 200 roaming profiles are also configured and they login to XP machines. Things are working for us except in network rollout scenarios. We dont know how to roll out ...

  1. [Samba] Samba 3.0 and XP roaming profiles

    Hello friends,

    I am running Samba 3.0 on RHEL4 server. Around 200 roaming profiles are also
    configured and they login to XP machines. Things are working for us except
    in network rollout scenarios. We dont know how to roll out patches or some
    global changes to all the profiles. We have to visit each and every profile
    (loggin each of them) to do even the small changes. Today we have to map a
    network share in all the profiles and we are stuck again.
    I will appreciate if you can please suggest me something. I can script a
    batch file to map the network drives. But dont know how my to automate this
    at the logon for all the profiles.
    Please suggest.

    Thanks,

    Gigs

  2. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.0 and XP roaming profiles

    contact_mahajan schrieb:

    > I will appreciate if you can please suggest me something. I can script a
    > batch file to map the network drives. But dont know how my to automate this
    > at the logon for all the profiles.

    Have you ever tried a login script?

    Kind regards,
    Wolfgang Ratzka

  3. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.0 and XP roaming profiles

    http://tinyurl.com/37htp3

    --

    Best regards,

    Charles

  4. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.0 and XP roaming profiles

    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I havn't tried login scripts. I can create a login script and put it under
    the base netlogon path which is /var/samba/netlogon in my case. But my
    question is what shoudl be the name of this script so that every profile can
    grab it. Moreover what permissions should be set on it so that every profile
    can run it.
    Also regarding my logon script, my smb.conf fille says like this:

    [GLOBAL]
    logon script = scripts\login.bat

    [netlogon]
    path= /var/samba/netlogon/%U

    Actually this configuration was designed by an earlier admin and I dont know
    why he put that "script\login.bat". I dont see any directory called scripts
    on the server. My question is, that what should I put here so that all my
    profiles can catch this script and what permissions should be set for the
    script?

    Thanks in advance,

    Gigs

  5. RE: [Samba] Samba 3.0 and XP roaming profiles

    Here's my logon script (edited... This is just for mapping drives. I have
    others that get called from here also.)(XP clients. Domain Members)
    The ifmember part is optional. It checks for group membership and only maps
    the drives that the user needs, based on his group membership.
    I have a mixed environment so far. Migrating from a peer to peer workgroup
    to a domain. Machines that are part of the domain run this when a user logs
    on.
    No roaming profiles for me, though. Public is read only, so everyone gets
    that mapped.
    Ifmember.exe is part of the W2K (or later) server resource kit. Ifmember.exe
    only exists in the netlogon share.

    net time \\server /set /yes

    :accts
    \\server\netlogon\ifmember "domainname\acctsdep"
    if not errorlevel 1 goto parts
    net use j: \\server\accounts

    arts
    \\server\netlogon\ifmember "domainname\partsdept"
    if not errorlevel 1 goto service
    net use k: \\server\parts

    :service
    \\server\netlogon\ifmember "domainname\servicedept"
    if not errorlevel 1 goto sales
    net use s: \\server\service

    :sales
    \\server\netlogon\ifmember "domainname\salesdept"
    if not errorlevel 1 goto hr
    net use l: \\server\sales

    :hr
    \\server\netlogon\ifmember "domainname\hr"
    if not errorlevel 1 goto public
    net use m: \\server\hr

    ublic
    net use p: \\server\public

    It's named logon.bat (you can name it whatever you want.)
    It's in /var/lib/samba/netlogon/scripts
    My smb.conf says:

    [GLOBAL]
    logon script = scripts\logon.bat (this has to match what you named the
    above.)

    [netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon (path=/var/samba/netlogon/%U would have
    a subfolder with each user name, and you could build a script for each user)
    public = no
    writeable = no
    browsable = no

    Hope this helps.
    Dennis

[...]

  6. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.0 and XP roaming profiles

    contact_mahajan schrieb:

    > Also regarding my logon script, my smb.conf fille says like this:
    >
    > [GLOBAL]
    > logon script = scripts\login.bat
    >
    > [netlogon]
    > path= /var/samba/netlogon/%U

    This definition is trying to be subtle by defining a per-user-netlogon share,
    as %U expands to the session user name. Normally you will not want to do this,
    so you will strip off the "/%U" and simply put your login scripts below
    /var/samba/netlogon. (Permissions should of course be so that everyone can
    read and only admins can write.)
    The logon script parameter is a (windows) path relative to the netlogon
    directory. There is no need to put those in a subdirectory. (Sou you can do
    away with the "scripts\" part...) You should note that the logon script
    parameter in the [global] section can be overridden by per-user-settings in ldap
    (if you are using ldap).

    Kind regards
    --
    Wolfgang Ratzka Phone: +49 6421 2823531 FAX: +49 6421 2826994
    Uni Marburg, HRZ, Hans-Meerwein-Str., D-35032 Marburg, Germany

  7. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.0 and XP roaming profiles

    Hi,

    I dont have samba with LDAP.
    I took out "\scripts\" part from logon script part in GLOBAL settings. ALso
    I created a script for a particular test user (script name is same as login
    name). I stored that script under /var/samba/netlogon/. Permissions were
    also set so that this user can read/write/Execute, plus the ownership was
    also changed.
    I tried loggin as this user to test the script but nothing was mapped. I
    think the script failed. Can you think of any reason? I even restarted my
    samba services.

    Thanks,

    Gigs

    Wolfgang Ratzka wrote:

    > contact_mahajan schrieb:
    >
    >> Also regarding my logon script, my smb.conf fille says like this:
    >>
    >> [GLOBAL]
    >> logon script = scripts\login.bat
    >>
    >> [netlogon]
    >> path= /var/samba/netlogon/%U

    > This definition is trying to be subtle by defining a per-user-netlogon
    > share,
    > as %U expands to the session user name. Normally you will not want to do
    > this,
    > so you will strip off the "/%U" and simply put your login scripts below
    > /var/samba/netlogon. (Permissions should of course be so that everyone can
    > read and only admins can write.)
    > The logon script parameter is a (windows) path relative to the netlogon
    > directory. There is no need to put those in a subdirectory. (Sou you can
    > do
    > away with the "scripts\" part...) You should note that the logon script
    > parameter in the [global] section can be overridden by per-user-settings
    > in ldap
    > (if you are using ldap).
    >
    > Kind regards
    > --
    > Wolfgang Ratzka Phone: +49 6421 2823531 FAX: +49 6421 2826994
    > Uni Marburg, HRZ, Hans-Meerwein-Str., D-35032 Marburg, Germany
    > --

  8. RE: [Samba] Samba 3.0 and XP roaming profiles

    I haven't done this, so I don't really know.
    If the script is named "user1", would windows know what to do with it?
    Shouldn't it be "user1.bat"? (assuming it's a batch file.)
    If so, shouldn't it say:

    path= /var/samba/netlogon/%U.bat

    In the netlogon section?

    Again, I haven't tried it, so I'm just guessing....
    Dennis

    Wolfgang Ratzka wrote:

    > contact_mahajan schrieb:
    >
    >> Also regarding my logon script, my smb.conf fille says like this:
    >>
    >> [GLOBAL]
    >> logon script = scripts\login.bat
    >>
    >> [netlogon]
    >> path= /var/samba/netlogon/%U

    > This definition is trying to be subtle by defining a per-user-netlogon
    > share, as %U expands to the session user name. Normally you will not
    > want to do this, so you will strip off the "/%U" and simply put your
    > login scripts below /var/samba/netlogon. (Permissions should of course
    > be so that everyone can read and only admins can write.) The logon
    > script parameter is a (windows) path relative to the netlogon
    > directory. There is no need to put those in a subdirectory. (Sou you
    > can do away with the "scripts\" part...) You should note that the
    > logon script parameter in the [global] section can be overridden by
    > per-user-settings in ldap (if you are using ldap).
    >
    > Kind regards
    > --
    > Wolfgang Ratzka Phone: +49 6421 2823531 FAX: +49 6421 2826994 Uni
    > Marburg, HRZ, Hans-Meerwein-Str., D-35032 Marburg, Germany
    > --

  9. [Samba] RE: Samba 3.0 and XP roaming profiles

    Script is user1.bat with all the permissions. So Windows should know, but
    nothing is happening.

    Gigs

    Dennis McLeod-5 wrote:

    > I haven't done this, so I don't really know.
    > If the script is named "user1", would windows know what to do with it?
    > Shouldn't it be "user1.bat"? (assuming it's a batch file.)
    > If so, shouldn't it say:
    >
    > path= /var/samba/netlogon/%U.bat
    >
    > In the netlogon section?
    >
    > Again, I haven't tried it, so I'm just guessing....
    > Dennis

  10. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.0 and XP roaming profiles

    Hi all, the share, subdirs and script have to be readable and executable
    to the "guest" user.
    The netlogon-share gets mapped by guest, not the user.
    Then windows looks for the logonscript in there and if it can execute it
    as guest.
    Christoph

    Dennis McLeod schrieb:
    > I haven't done this, so I don't really know.
    > If the script is named "user1", would windows know what to do with it?
    > Shouldn't it be "user1.bat"? (assuming it's a batch file.)
    > If so, shouldn't it say:
    >
    > path= /var/samba/netlogon/%U.bat
    >
    > In the netlogon section?
    >
    > Again, I haven't tried it, so I'm just guessing....
    > Dennis

  11. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.0 and XP roaming profiles

    Ups, forgot something:

    with the script in /var/samba/netlogon and named like the user,
    in smb.conf you need this:

    [global]
    #this path is relative to the root of the netlogon-share
    logon script = %U.bat

    [netlogon]
    path= /var/samba/netlogon