[Samba] creating NTConfig.POL - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] creating NTConfig.POL - Samba ; I have an NTConfig.POL I created from poledit with the Windows 2000 Administrator toolkit. It contains my WSUS configuration, and NTConfig.POL is placed in my [netlogon] share and is being loaded fine by the clients. Is this still the propery ...

  1. [Samba] creating NTConfig.POL

    I have an NTConfig.POL I created from poledit with the Windows 2000
    Administrator toolkit. It contains my WSUS configuration, and
    NTConfig.POL is placed in my [netlogon] share and is being loaded fine
    by the clients. Is this still the propery way to create NTConfig.POL
    files, or is there a newer utility I should be using? I'm looking at
    Vista and it uses .admx templates, which I guess aren't compatible with
    the Windows 2000 poledit.exe I'm using.

  2. Re: [Samba] creating NTConfig.POL

    On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 09:58 -0500, Adam Williams wrote:
    > I have an NTConfig.POL I created from poledit with the Windows 2000
    > Administrator toolkit. It contains my WSUS configuration, and
    > NTConfig.POL is placed in my [netlogon] share and is being loaded fine
    > by the clients. Is this still the propery way to create NTConfig.POL
    > files, or is there a newer utility I should be using? I'm looking at
    > Vista and it uses .admx templates, which I guess aren't compatible with
    > the Windows 2000 poledit.exe I'm using.

    Yes, that is the proper way to configure Policies until Samba supports
    GPOs.

    This summer I will probably create policy templates for Vista to be used
    with the Policy Editor (they will be in .adm format). Currently I have
    a few custom templates for the Policy Editor available at:

    http://www.pcc-services.com/custom_poledit.html

    I am in the process of updating them to include IE7 policies (among
    other policies). If you are in need of any policy that is not in these
    templates, please let me know so I can add them as I update the
    templates.

    I have a working IE7 template at:

    http://files.pcc-services.com/files/samba/

    I have run into a few snags that look like they are simply bugs with IE7
    and am trying to work with Microsoft to fix them (imagine that),
    although I don't know if they will be fixed - I think I can create work
    arounds that should be easy to implement if they aren't fixed.

    Anyway, if you need any policies you can email me directly - as I want
    to be finished with a new custom_policy template sometime this month.

    Mike Petersen
    mgpeter@pcc-services.com