Hi all,

it's been a long time since I last posted something to this list as it's
been a long time since I administered Samba, so please bear with me :-)

I need to setup a PDC on Samba 3. To achieve this I followed the steps
described on the Samba docs and on some other websites I found after
googling for a while. From the Samba side everything seems to be OK:
----
Apr 3 15:30:06 v601 nmbd[11664]: Samba server V601 is now a domain
master browser for workgroup MYDOMAIN.COM on subnet 192.168.1.11
----

So far, so good... it was an easy task.

Now problems arise when I want the WinXP Professional clients to join
that domain (full disclosure here: I'm a Windows user by "market
contamination" so maybe I'm overseeing something obvious during the
process).

This is the error message I get when trying to join the domain:
----
DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource
record used to locate a domain controller for domain mydomain.com:

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mydomain.com

The following domain controllers were identified by the query:

v601.mydomain.com

Common causes of this error include:

- Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its IP
addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.

- Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network
or are not running.

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.
----

First off, I had to manually add that SRV record on my named.conf. I've
been told that all needed entries are created automatically on the DNS
when you are on a Windows environment...

Secondly, AFAIK the DNS has been setup correctly for both direct and
reverse queries. That's why I must raise an eyebrow when I see such an
error message popping up

So... is there anything I have forgotten to set up things correctly??

TIA and regards,
Martin