[Samba] SambasSID with 1 ldap-server and 3 samba-servers - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] SambasSID with 1 ldap-server and 3 samba-servers - Samba ; hi list! we are storing our user data in one central ldap database. to handle the big amount of data (some hundred terabytes) we are using currently 3 samba servers (called cindy01, cindy02 and cindy03 , and more to come!) ...

  1. [Samba] SambasSID with 1 ldap-server and 3 samba-servers

    hi list!

    we are storing our user data in one central ldap database. to handle
    the big amount of data (some hundred terabytes) we are using currently
    3 samba servers (called cindy01, cindy02 and cindy03 , and more to
    come!) which (of course?) have diffrent SIDs. right now the
    credentials are stored in identical smbpasswd files on every samba
    server but we want to migrate wo ldap. the problem i see is that in
    ldap i can only store one SambaSID per user, so which SID should i
    take? the last part of the SambaSID (from unix uid) would be the same
    for all samba servers, but what about the leading part?
    we do not need any domain controller functionality, our users just
    mount their samba shares. is it possible to use only on SID on all
    samba servers or what would be the side effects?

    thanks in advance for any hints!

    regards
    markus

    | Markus Krause, Mogli-Soft |
    | Support for Mac OS X, Webmail/Horde, LDAP, RADIUS, MySQL |
    | by order of the |
    | Computing Center of the Max-Planck-Institute of Biochemistry |
    +--------------------------------+--------------------------------+
    | E-Mail: krause@biochem.mpg.de | Tel.: 089 - 89 40 85 99 |
    | markus.krause@mac.com | Fax.: 089 - 89 40 85 98 |
    | Skype: markus.krause | iChat: markus.krause@mac.com |
    +--------------------------------+--------------------------------+

  2. [Samba] Re: SambasSID with 1 ldap-server and 3 samba-servers

    > the last part of the
    > SambaSID (from unix uid) would be the same for all samba servers, but
    > what about the leading part?

    I guess this is why you need a PDC so I suggest what works for me:

    Set up a Samba PDC, using LDAP.

    Have the other severs get unix user credentials from PDC via winbind.
    Now SIDs are consistent on all servers.

    If you need consistent Unix uids as well use an Ldap Idmap which is
    accessed by all your servers.

    Bert