[Samba] General question about 'smbclient' - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] General question about 'smbclient' - Samba ; As above, From what I understand (also obvious from the package name) is that 'smbclient' is only a client. You can browse shares or use it for troubleshooting. Does it have any affect on the actual samba server? I mean ...

  1. [Samba] General question about 'smbclient'

    As above,

    From what I understand (also obvious from the package name) is that
    'smbclient' is only a client.
    You can browse shares or use it for troubleshooting. Does it have any
    affect on the actual samba server?

    I mean does this package have to be installed in order for a samba
    server to work properly?

    It seems to be that this package can be removed, I just want to make
    sure that it's not an important part of the samba server.

    Thanks

  2. Re: [Samba] General question about 'smbclient'

    On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 09:56:05AM +0200, André Jee wrote:
    > As above,
    >
    > From what I understand (also obvious from the package name) is that
    > 'smbclient' is only a client.
    > You can browse shares or use it for troubleshooting. Does it have any
    > affect on the actual samba server?

    You can also use it to mount shares.

    > I mean does this package have to be installed in order for a samba
    > server to work properly?

    No it does not need to be installed for samba to work.

    > It seems to be that this package can be removed, I just want to make
    > sure that it's not an important part of the samba server.
    >
    > Thanks
    > --

    Cheers,
    Mark

  3. Re: [Samba] General question about 'smbclient'

    On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 01:04:51PM +0100, Mark Adams wrote:
    > On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 09:56:05AM +0200, André Jee wrote:
    > > As above,
    > >
    > > From what I understand (also obvious from the package name) is that
    > > 'smbclient' is only a client.
    > > You can browse shares or use it for troubleshooting. Does it have any
    > > affect on the actual samba server?

    > You can also use it to mount shares.

    Sorry this was wrong - I was thinking of smbmount/smbfs

    > > I mean does this package have to be installed in order for a samba
    > > server to work properly?

    > No it does not need to be installed for samba to work.
    >
    > > It seems to be that this package can be removed, I just want to make
    > > sure that it's not an important part of the samba server.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > --

    > Cheers,
    > Mark

  4. Re: [Samba] General question about 'smbclient'

    Mark,

    Thanks for the confirmation.

    Regards,

    Andre