[Samba] home shares and thunderbird profiles - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] home shares and thunderbird profiles - Samba ; We find it convenient to keep thunderbird email client profiles on our home shares rather than in our user profiles, as is the default. From time to time some users experience the dreaded "delayed write failed" error for certain thunderbird ...

  1. [Samba] home shares and thunderbird profiles

    We find it convenient to keep thunderbird email client profiles on our home shares
    rather than in our user profiles, as is the default. From time to time some users
    experience the dreaded "delayed write failed" error for certain thunderbird files.
    The only solution seems to be to log off and log on again. (after clicking OK to
    accept the error about seven times).

    We are sharing lots of autocad and engineering files on other shares and we never see
    a delayed write failed error on those, so it seems to me that it is not a general
    networking problem, but rather a thunderbird or home share problem. Are there any
    tuning tips for the home share that might help?

    [mark@gecko ~]$ uname -a
    Linux gecko.tippingmar.com 2.6.17-1.2142_FC4 #1 Tue Jul 11 22:41:06 EDT 2006
    x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

    [mark@gecko ~]$ rpm -q samba
    samba-3.0.24-1

    in smb.conf:
    [global]
    workgroup = STA
    server string = FileServer
    log level = 1
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 500
    name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
    time server = Yes
    load printers = No
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 99 -c machine -M %u
    logon script = logscript.bat
    logon path = \\gecko\profiles\%u
    domain logons = Yes
    os level = 65
    preferred master = Yes
    domain master = Yes
    dns proxy = No
    wins support = Yes
    ldap ssl = no
    create mask = 0770
    directory mask = 0770
    hosts allow = 192.168.254.
    map archive = No
    reset on zero vc = Yes

    [homes]
    comment = User Home Directories
    path = /share/homes/%u
    valid users = %S
    read only = No
    browseable = No

    Thanks,
    Mark

  2. Re: [Samba] home shares and thunderbird profiles

    On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 11:08:14AM -0700, Mark Nienberg wrote:
    > We find it convenient to keep thunderbird email client profiles on our home
    > shares rather than in our user profiles, as is the default. From time to
    > time some users experience the dreaded "delayed write failed" error for
    > certain thunderbird files. The only solution seems to be to log off and log
    > on again. (after clicking OK to accept the error about seven times).

    This almost always means a network problem (it's a client oplock
    break response failure).

    Jeremy.

  3. [Samba] Re: home shares and thunderbird profiles

    Jeremy Allison wrote:
    > On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 11:08:14AM -0700, Mark Nienberg wrote:
    >> We find it convenient to keep thunderbird email client profiles on our home
    >> shares rather than in our user profiles, as is the default. From time to
    >> time some users experience the dreaded "delayed write failed" error for
    >> certain thunderbird files. The only solution seems to be to log off and log
    >> on again. (after clicking OK to accept the error about seven times).

    > This almost always means a network problem (it's a client oplock
    > break response failure).

    Any tips on diagnosing it? Would it help to disable oplocks on the Home shares?

    Thanks,
    Mark

  4. Re: [Samba] Re: home shares and thunderbird profiles

    On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 12:15:12PM -0700, Mark Nienberg wrote:
    > Jeremy Allison wrote:
    > >On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 11:08:14AM -0700, Mark Nienberg wrote:
    > >>We find it convenient to keep thunderbird email client profiles on our
    > >>home shares rather than in our user profiles, as is the default. From
    > >>time to time some users experience the dreaded "delayed write failed"
    > >>error for certain thunderbird files. The only solution seems to be to log
    > >>off and log on again. (after clicking OK to accept the error about seven
    > >>times).

    > >This almost always means a network problem (it's a client oplock
    > >break response failure).

    > Any tips on diagnosing it? Would it help to disable oplocks on the Home
    > shares?

    Maybe, that's only hiding the problem. You should be able
    to see which clients are having this problem then try
    isolate some part of the physical network that might
    be causing the issue (network cards, hubs, cabling
    or drivers).

    Jeremy.

  5. Re: [Samba] home shares and thunderbird profiles

  6. [Samba] Re: home shares and thunderbird profiles

    Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

    > Jeremy Allison wrote:
    >> On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 11:08:14AM -0700, Mark Nienberg wrote:
    >>> We find it convenient to keep thunderbird email client profiles on our home
    >>> shares rather than in our user profiles, as is the default. From time to
    >>> time some users experience the dreaded "delayed write failed" error for
    >>> certain thunderbird files. The only solution seems to be to log off and log
    >>> on again. (after clicking OK to accept the error about seven times).

    >> This almost always means a network problem (it's a client oplock
    >> break response failure).

    > The only time I ever see this in my environment is when
    > you are re-exporting NFS home directories. Firefox has the
    > same problem.

    I am seeing the Firefox problem too, but the home directories are not on NFS. It
    happens less often for Firefox, but that is probably because there is less writing to
    be done. (The Firefox profiles do not include the browser cache, which is local to
    each machine). I have not seen the problem on any other shares, but the home share is
    the only one with Thunderbird and Firefox profiles. So far, I have not been able to
    identify a hardware culprit, but I am still keeping an eye out for one.

    Thanks very much for the information.

    Mark Nienberg