[Samba] problems creating a share with SWAT - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] problems creating a share with SWAT - Samba ; Greetings to all I have been using Samaba for a few years, and think it is a great package. Currently I am trying to use Samba in a corporate environment. Unfortunaley I am surrounded by Windows users, that are extremly ...

  1. [Samba] problems creating a share with SWAT

    Greetings to all

    I have been using Samaba for a few years, and think it is a great
    package.

    Currently I am trying to use Samba in a corporate environment.
    Unfortunaley I am surrounded by Windows users, that are extremly afraid
    of the command line. So I am trying to implement SWAT as a way to allow
    the admins a way to manage Samba.

    Enerything seems to work, except for creating new shares. The shares are
    defined in the smb.conf file, and testparm shows the share. Problem is,
    the directory is not created.

    I have tried looking for an answer but I am coming up empty handed. If I
    manually crete the directory, then all is cool.

    Any suggestions of how to trouble shoot, or fix the problem would be
    greatly appreciated.

    Basic layout

    /etc/debian_version
    4.0

    samba 3.0.23d-4
    swat 3.0.23d-4

    /etc/xinetd.d/swat
    service swat
    {
    disable = no
    port = 901
    socket_type = stream
    protocol = tcp
    wait = no
    user = root
    server_args = -d 10
    server = /usr/sbin/swat
    log_on_failure += USERID
    }

    [global]
    workgroup = CORPFS
    server string = %h server (Samba %v)
    interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8, eth0, eth1
    bind interfaces only = Yes
    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost
    passwd program = /usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew
    \sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    unix password sync = Yes
    syslog = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    printcap name = cups
    add user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -a -m -P %u
    delete user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-userdel -r %u
    add group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p %g
    delete group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupdel %g
    add user to group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m %u %g
    delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x %u
    %g
    set primary group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g %g %u
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w %u
    logon drive = H:
    domain logons = Yes
    wins support = Yes
    ldap admin dn = "cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com"
    ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
    ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
    ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
    ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=com
    ldap ssl = no
    ldap user suffix = ou=Users
    usershare path = /opt/usershares
    idmap backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost
    idmap uid = 1000-20000
    idmap gid = 1000-20000
    template shell = /bin/bash
    invalid users = root
    printing = cups
    print command =
    lpq command = %p
    lprm command =

    Cheers
    DuWayne

  2. Re: [Samba] problems creating a share with SWAT

    DuWayne Holsbeck wrote:

    > Enerything seems to work, except for creating new shares. The shares
    > are defined in the smb.conf file, and testparm shows the share.
    > Problem is, the directory is not created. [...] Any suggestions of
    > how to trouble shoot, or fix the problem would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    I don't think that directory creation should be a swat job...

    You may want to create a samba share to give your administrators full
    access to the filesystem designed to be shared through samba, so they
    can create directory by the usual right-click.

    Like this:

    [all]
    path = /home/samba
    write list = @admins
    [or some other way to restrict access, including umasks]

    [share1]
    path = /home/samba/folder1

    They then can create shares by swat specifying the new folder created,
    prefixed by '/home/samba'.

    HTH,
    Davide