[Samba] disappearing printer drivers - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] disappearing printer drivers - Samba ; Hello, I'm trying to set up a CentOS 4.4 print server. I've attached a Usb Hp Deskjet 5150 printer to the box, and printed a test page. This worked fine, using cups. I then went to the samba howto, classical ...

  1. [Samba] disappearing printer drivers

    Hello,
    I'm trying to set up a CentOS 4.4 print server. I've attached a Usb Hp
    Deskjet 5150 printer to the box, and printed a test page. This worked fine,
    using cups. I then went to the samba howto, classical printer section, and
    followed the section for uploading pointprint drivers to the box. My first
    problem came when i told the error dialog no, then didn't see a new driver
    button in the resulting dialog either on the general tab or sharing tab. I
    next tried again, this time i said yes to the driver installation, went
    through, had the apw find the drivers, on my CD, and it uploaded them no
    errors or so i thought. The process completed without errors, the rom and
    the hard disk moved, yet checking the samba box in the print$ share nothing
    has been added and i have global permissions set for this operation. I am
    doing this as a member of the printeradmins group and in smb.conf i did set:

    use client driver = no
    default devmode = yes

    for i have had an issue with a previous deskjet uploading drivers, that one
    actually gave me an error, and adding default devmode fixed it. My samba
    version is 3.0.10 if that helps.
    Any suggestions welcome.
    Thanks.
    Dave.

  2. Re: [Samba] disappearing printer drivers

    Dave wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I'm trying to set up a CentOS 4.4 print server. I've attached a Usb Hp
    > Deskjet 5150 printer to the box, and printed a test page. This worked
    > fine, using cups. I then went to the samba howto, classical printer
    > section, and followed the section for uploading pointprint drivers to the
    > box. My first problem came when i told the error dialog no, then didn't
    > see a new driver button in the resulting dialog either on the general tab
    > or sharing tab. I next tried again, this time i said yes to the driver
    > installation, went through, had the apw find the drivers, on my CD, and it
    > uploaded them no errors or so i thought. The process completed without
    > errors, the rom and the hard disk moved, yet checking the samba box in the
    > print$ share nothing has been added and i have global permissions set for
    > this operation. I am doing this as a member of the printeradmins group and
    > in smb.conf i did set:
    >
    > use client driver = no
    > default devmode = yes
    >
    > for i have had an issue with a previous deskjet uploading drivers, that
    > one actually gave me an error, and adding default devmode fixed it. My
    > samba version is 3.0.10 if that helps.
    > Any suggestions welcome.
    > Thanks.
    > Dave.

    According to what I have read, you need to install the Adobe printer driver
    on your Windows box, even though you are using CUPS. On my wife's laptop,
    that created a copy of the printer (which I had installed directly
    previously.) Send print jobs to that copy. The installation wizard
    invites you to send a test page to the new printer.

    The Adobe driver is available from the Adobe Web site. Make a copy of your
    existing .ppd file as well, and supply that when prompted to name your
    printer.

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    Husbands are like the fire on the hearth - likely to go out if left
    unattended.

+ Reply to Thread