Re: [Samba] Dueling master browsers... - Samba

This is a discussion on Re: [Samba] Dueling master browsers... - Samba ; samba-request@lists.samba.org wrote: > > Subject: > Re: [Samba] Dueling master browsers... > From: > Tim Boneko > Date: > Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:39:16 +0200 > To: > samba@lists.samba.org > > To: > samba@lists.samba.org > > > Eric Knudstrup schrieb: ...

  1. Re: [Samba] Dueling master browsers...

    samba-request@lists.samba.org wrote:

    > Re: [Samba] Dueling master browsers...
    > From:
    > Tim Boneko
    > Date:
    > Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:39:16 +0200
    > To:
    > samba@lists.samba.org
    >
    > To:
    > samba@lists.samba.org
    >

    > Eric Knudstrup schrieb:
    >

    >> Server NITIN at IP 192.168.1.126 is announcing itself as a local master
    >> browser for workgroup DVC and we think we are master. Forcing election.
    >> Mar 27 09:10:05 macallan nmbd[3481]: [2007/03/27 09:10:05, 0]
    >> nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(14 9)
    >> Mar 27 09:10:05 macallan nmbd[3481]: *****
    >> Mar 27 09:10:05 macallan nmbd[3481]: Mar 27 09:10:05 macallan
    >> nmbd[3481]: Samba name server MACALLAN has stopped being a local
    >> master browser for workgroup DVC on subnet 192.168.1.2
    >>

    >> os level = 255
    >>

    > Tell the dork with the XP machine to stop that. YOU are the network's
    > master, aren't you? (Pity if not...)
    > AFAIK he must have tweaked his registry for that, but i'm not completely
    > sure.
    >
    > timbo

    I don't think so. There are a couple of machines that insist on it.
    Both of them are the guys who aren't logged into the domain.
    This machine is also dual homed - wireless and wired ethernet.
    I even have the DHCP server setting macallan as the WINS server. Is
    there any way *I* can tweak the registry to disable them from announcing
    themselves as the master browser?
    I think I've tried just about everything on the PDC to disable this...

    Eric

  2. Re: [Samba] Dueling master browsers...

    On Thursday 29 March 2007, Eric Knudstrup wrote:
    > I don't think so. *There are a couple of machines that insist on it. *
    > Both of them are the guys who aren't logged into the domain.
    > This machine is also dual homed - wireless and wired ethernet.
    > I even have the DHCP server setting macallan as the WINS server. *Is
    > there any way *I* can tweak the registry to disable them from announcing
    > themselves as the master browser?
    > I think I've tried just about everything on the PDC to disable this...

    On the Samba PDC:
    Try adding something like this to your global section:
    ==================================
    interfaces = eth0, 127.0.0.1
    bind interfaces only = Yes
    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
    ==================================
    Using your interfaces and IP addresses. If any IP aliases are being used use
    the IP addresses for "interfaces =" (ex: 127.0.0.1) instead of device names
    (eth0).

    On the client:
    Set:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters
    IsDomainMaster False

    Chris

  3. Re: [Samba] Dueling master browsers...

    On Thursday 29 March 2007, Chris Smith wrote:
    > On the client:
    > Set:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters
    > * IsDomainMaster False

    Adding to this. Set both of these under that same tree:

    ================================
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters
    IsDomainMaster FALSE
    MaintainServerList Disabled
    ================================

    I had to do this on a laptop that was not joined to the domain but was in the
    same workgroup. It was running XP Media Center and it just wouldn't let Samba
    remain the master browser (despite an OS level of 255).

    Probably most important is to make sure that the client(s) are really using
    your WINS server (DHCP should assign this) - "ipconfig -all" will provide
    this info.

    Then use "nbtstat -R" and/or "nbtstat -RR" to reload/ReleaseRefresh the cache.
    May want to reboot the client as well.

    Chris

  4. Re: [Samba] Dueling master browsers...

    most often I have seen the dueling master browsers because a
    windows machine is running with both TCP/IP and NetBEUI
    protocol enabled. Browser elections take place on all
    protocols enabled. Since Samba does not respond to the NetBEUI
    elections the windows machine will win that one no matter what
    OS level is set for Samba. The windows machines have this nasty
    habit of thinking if they won one election they should win them
    all so they will force another election on TCP/IP. Lather, rinse
    and repeat..... :-)

    Chris Smith wrote:
    > On Thursday 29 March 2007, Chris Smith wrote:
    >
    >>On the client:
    >>Set:
    >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters
    >> IsDomainMaster False

    > Adding to this. Set both of these under that same tree:
    >
    > ================================
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters
    > IsDomainMaster FALSE
    > MaintainServerList Disabled
    > ================================
    >
    > I had to do this on a laptop that was not joined to the domain but was in the
    > same workgroup. It was running XP Media Center and it just wouldn't let Samba
    > remain the master browser (despite an OS level of 255).
    >
    > Probably most important is to make sure that the client(s) are really using
    > your WINS server (DHCP should assign this) - "ipconfig -all" will provide
    > this info.
    >
    > Then use "nbtstat -R" and/or "nbtstat -RR" to reload/ReleaseRefresh the cache.
    > May want to reboot the client as well.
    >
    > Chris

  5. Re: [Samba] Dueling master browsers...

    Changing these registry settings on Windows machines eliminated this
    problem for us.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > Browser >
    Parameters
    MaintainServerList = No
    IsDomainMaster = FALSE

    Eric Knudstrup
    Sent by: samba-bounces+vlkidder=tabasco.com@lists.samba.org
    03/29/2007 04:14 PM

    samba@lists.samba.org
    cc

    Subject
    Re: [Samba] Dueling master browsers...

    samba-request@lists.samba.org wrote:

    > Re: [Samba] Dueling master browsers...
    > From:
    > Tim Boneko
    > Date:
    > Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:39:16 +0200
    > To:
    > samba@lists.samba.org
    >
    > To:
    > samba@lists.samba.org
    >

    > Eric Knudstrup schrieb:
    >

    >> Server NITIN at IP 192.168.1.126 is announcing itself as a local master
    >> browser for workgroup DVC and we think we are master. Forcing election.
    >> Mar 27 09:10:05 macallan nmbd[3481]: [2007/03/27 09:10:05, 0]
    >> nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(14 9)
    >> Mar 27 09:10:05 macallan nmbd[3481]: *****
    >> Mar 27 09:10:05 macallan nmbd[3481]: Mar 27 09:10:05 macallan
    >> nmbd[3481]: Samba name server MACALLAN has stopped being a local
    >> master browser for workgroup DVC on subnet 192.168.1.2
    >>

    >> os level = 255
    >>

    > Tell the dork with the XP machine to stop that. YOU are the network's
    > master, aren't you? (Pity if not...)
    > AFAIK he must have tweaked his registry for that, but i'm not completely
    > sure.
    >
    > timbo

    I don't think so. There are a couple of machines that insist on it.
    Both of them are the guys who aren't logged into the domain.
    This machine is also dual homed - wireless and wired ethernet.
    I even have the DHCP server setting macallan as the WINS server. Is
    there any way *I* can tweak the registry to disable them from announcing
    themselves as the master browser?
    I think I've tried just about everything on the PDC to disable this...

    Eric

  6. Re: [Samba] Dueling master browsers...

    On Friday 30 March 2007, Herb Lewis wrote:
    > most often I have seen the dueling master browsers because a
    > windows machine is running with both TCP/IP and NetBEUI
    > protocol enabled.

    Interesting observation, and I'll keep that in mind for the future. Although
    this wasn't the case on the aforementioned XP Media Center laptop. It's odd
    these days to find a system running NetBEUI, not to say that it doesn't
    happen, but unlike yesteryear it's not part of a default install.

    I am a little suspicious about the Media Center editions having a few extra
    tweaks in this area. Seems Samba should not lose these elections by default.

    Chris

  7. [Samba] Vista Roaming Profiles and GPMC.MSC

    Hi All

    Our company got a Windows Vista installed laptop even though we ordered
    it with XP. Now I'm faced with the task of integrating the beast into
    our samba controlled domain. Something I was hoping to delay for some time.

    Our PDC is samba 2.2.8a with openldap 2.1.4
    We also have a Domain Member Server running samba 3.0.10.

    There is a document on the Microsoft site that I downloaded
    (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en)
    explaining how to do folder redirection so that at least some of the
    XP/Vista profile will roam. To do this you have to logon to Vista as a
    "Domain User" and run GPMC.MSC. The problem is that, even though I logon
    as a domain user (DOMAIN\user) the GPMC.MSC issues the warning:

    "To manage Group Policy, you must log on to the computer with a domain
    user account."

    With samba 2.2.8a we have no "Domain Users" group. Could this be the
    problem? How would I add this group to the PDC?

    Is there a workaround for this?

    Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Tom

  8. Re: [Samba] Vista Roaming Profiles and GPMC.MSC

    Tom Robinson schrieb:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Our company got a Windows Vista installed laptop even though we ordered
    > it with XP. Now I'm faced with the task of integrating the beast into
    > our samba controlled domain. Something I was hoping to delay for some time.
    >
    > Our PDC is samba 2.2.8a with openldap 2.1.4
    > We also have a Domain Member Server running samba 3.0.10.
    >
    > There is a document on the Microsoft site that I downloaded
    > (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en)
    > explaining how to do folder redirection so that at least some of the
    > XP/Vista profile will roam. To do this you have to logon to Vista as a
    > "Domain User" and run GPMC.MSC. The problem is that, even though I logon
    > as a domain user (DOMAIN\user) the GPMC.MSC issues the warning:
    >
    > "To manage Group Policy, you must log on to the computer with a domain
    > user account."
    >
    > With samba 2.2.8a we have no "Domain Users" group. Could this be the
    > problem? How would I add this group to the PDC?
    >
    > Is there a workaround for this?
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tom

    Hi Tom, i dont think you will get vista to join a samba 2.2.8a pdc
    domain, at my tests upgrade to samba latest was needed to handle vista
    in a minimum, the adm format ( policies ) changed in vista its now called
    admx, after all a simply folder redirect reg patch should work in vista
    include it as local admin,
    i would recommend setup win xp, and wait for stabelizing vista, in mean
    time upgrade your samba setup to latest.
    But maybe someone else can give you more advice handle vista, my tests
    where very basic, cause i will not implement vista anywhere in the next
    year, and will not sombody advice to do so.

    - --
    Mit freundlichen Gruessen
    Best Regards

    Robert Schetterer

    https://www.schetterer.org
    Munich/Bavaria/Germany

  9. Re: [Samba] Vista Roaming Profiles and GPMC.MSC

    Robert Schetterer wrote:

    > Tom Robinson schrieb:
    >> Hi All
    >>
    >> Our company got a Windows Vista installed laptop even though we ordered
    >> it with XP. Now I'm faced with the task of integrating the beast into
    >> our samba controlled domain. Something I was hoping to delay for some time.
    >>
    >> Our PDC is samba 2.2.8a with openldap 2.1.4
    >> We also have a Domain Member Server running samba 3.0.10.
    >>
    >> There is a document on the Microsoft site that I downloaded
    >> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en)
    >> explaining how to do folder redirection so that at least some of the
    >> XP/Vista profile will roam. To do this you have to logon to Vista as a
    >> "Domain User" and run GPMC.MSC. The problem is that, even though I logon
    >> as a domain user (DOMAIN\user) the GPMC.MSC issues the warning:
    >>
    >> "To manage Group Policy, you must log on to the computer with a domain
    >> user account."
    >>
    >> With samba 2.2.8a we have no "Domain Users" group. Could this be the
    >> problem? How would I add this group to the PDC?
    >>
    >> Is there a workaround for this?
    >>
    >> Any help is appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>

    > Hi Tom, i dont think you will get vista to join a samba 2.2.8a pdc
    > domain, at my tests upgrade to samba latest was needed to handle vista
    > in a minimum, the adm format ( policies ) changed in vista its now called
    > admx, after all a simply folder redirect reg patch should work in vista
    > include it as local admin,
    > i would recommend setup win xp, and wait for stabelizing vista, in mean
    > time upgrade your samba setup to latest.
    > But maybe someone else can give you more advice handle vista, my tests
    > where very basic, cause i will not implement vista anywhere in the next
    > year, and will not sombody advice to do so.
    >
    > - --
    > Mit freundlichen Gruessen
    > Best Regards
    >
    > Robert Schetterer
    >
    > https://www.schetterer.org
    > Munich/Bavaria/Germany

    Hi Robert,

    Thanks for your reply.

    Surprisingly I have the Vista box already joined to the domain. It
    authenticates to the PDC and logs on sucessfully. So I suspect a problem
    elsewhere in the 2.2.8a config or LDAP.

    I can't upgrade so simply on the server as it is the main authentication
    for the entire domain. It is scheduled for upgrade later this year. The
    new Vista laptop is for one of our directors and he wants it working
    now. :-/

    I'm not sure what you mean with the reg patch and the admx files. This
    sounds like a workaround that may work for me. How do I integrate the
    admx and reg patches into vista?

    Regards,

    Tom

    --
    Tom Robinson
    Systems Administrator

    Intelligent Space
    Parchment House
    13 Northburgh Street
    London
    EC1V 0JP
    t: 020 7014 5980
    f: 020 7014 5981
    e: gtempleton@intelligentspace.com
    w: http://www.intelligentspace.com

    The information in this e-mail and any attachment is confidential. It
    isintended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not a named
    recipient please notify the sender immediately and then delete it
    without disclosing the contents to another person or taking copies.

  10. Re: [Samba] Vista Roaming Profiles and GPMC.MSC

    Tom Robinson schrieb:
    > Robert Schetterer wrote:
    >>
    >> Tom Robinson schrieb:
    >>> Hi All
    >>>
    >>> Our company got a Windows Vista installed laptop even though we ordered
    >>> it with XP. Now I'm faced with the task of integrating the beast into
    >>> our samba controlled domain. Something I was hoping to delay for some
    >>> time.
    >>>
    >>> Our PDC is samba 2.2.8a with openldap 2.1.4
    >>> We also have a Domain Member Server running samba 3.0.10.
    >>>
    >>> There is a document on the Microsoft site that I downloaded
    >>> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en)
    >>>
    >>> explaining how to do folder redirection so that at least some of the
    >>> XP/Vista profile will roam. To do this you have to logon to Vista as a
    >>> "Domain User" and run GPMC.MSC. The problem is that, even though I logon
    >>> as a domain user (DOMAIN\user) the GPMC.MSC issues the warning:
    >>>
    >>> "To manage Group Policy, you must log on to the computer with a domain
    >>> user account."
    >>>
    >>> With samba 2.2.8a we have no "Domain Users" group. Could this be the
    >>> problem? How would I add this group to the PDC?
    >>>
    >>> Is there a workaround for this?
    >>>
    >>> Any help is appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Tom
    >>>

    >> Hi Tom, i dont think you will get vista to join a samba 2.2.8a pdc
    >> domain, at my tests upgrade to samba latest was needed to handle vista
    >> in a minimum, the adm format ( policies ) changed in vista its now called
    >> admx, after all a simply folder redirect reg patch should work in vista
    >> include it as local admin,
    >> i would recommend setup win xp, and wait for stabelizing vista, in mean
    >> time upgrade your samba setup to latest.
    >> But maybe someone else can give you more advice handle vista, my tests
    >> where very basic, cause i will not implement vista anywhere in the next
    >> year, and will not sombody advice to do so.
    >>

    > Hi Robert,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > Surprisingly I have the Vista box already joined to the domain. It
    > authenticates to the PDC and logs on sucessfully. So I suspect a problem
    > elsewhere in the 2.2.8a config or LDAP.
    >
    > I can't upgrade so simply on the server as it is the main authentication
    > for the entire domain. It is scheduled for upgrade later this year. The
    > new Vista laptop is for one of our directors and he wants it working
    > now. :-/
    >
    > I'm not sure what you mean with the reg patch and the admx files. This
    > sounds like a workaround that may work for me. How do I integrate the
    > admx and reg patches into vista?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Tom

    Hi Tom very suprised to hear that you could join the domain,good for you,
    but i expect you will get in more troubles later with vista and samba,
    i know upgrade may paine, but you have to do it anyway cause of security
    fixes.

    i have no idea how to integrate policies in vista, but reg patches
    should be the same as in xp

    read
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...lt.aspx?loc=en

    for the new admx format, formally known as adm ( which was compatible to
    a nt4 domain policies in netlogon share
    as NTConfig.POL with poledit or in local computer with mmc with the
    group policy snap in )

    i dont think that your boss will have muc fun with vista in your samba
    domain at all, and its a failure to use m$ os before reaching service
    pack 1 level.
    There are known issuses with vista like slow copy renaming of files etc
    and it not very compatibile in drivers and software.

    - --
    Mit freundlichen Gruessen
    Best Regards

    Robert Schetterer