[Samba] Problems with Samba between Linux host and VMWare Windows guest - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Problems with Samba between Linux host and VMWare Windows guest - Samba ; I've asked this almost everywhere else, so obviously I only find out about this list now (my doing, too). I am running VMWare Workstation on top of host CentOS 4.4 Plus on a Dell Precision 390 with 2G of main ...

  1. [Samba] Problems with Samba between Linux host and VMWare Windows guest

    I've asked this almost everywhere else, so obviously I only find out about
    this list now (my doing, too).

    I am running VMWare Workstation on top of host CentOS 4.4 Plus on a Dell
    Precision 390 with 2G of main memory. Under VMWare, I am running a Windows
    XP guest OS. I have a similar setup at home except that the hardware is a
    little different but the memory and the setup are the same, and at home I'm
    running VMWare Server.

    One difference is that VMWare Workstation has a feature called "shared
    drives" where I can configure the Windows guest to be able to access the
    CentOS host directories via the VMWare shared drive setup. The VMWare
    Server does not have this feature. So I want to connect my CentOS host at
    home so that its guest Windows on VMWare Server can access the host
    files/directories via Samba. To make sure that this works, I have been
    trying to make a parallel setup at work, but this is not working. At all.

    I have configured samba on my host to allow user and /tmp access, but the
    Windows guest can't see it. I can ping the host from Windows, I can telnet
    to the host from Windows, but I can't map any network drives to the host
    file shares. I get this error (in Windows):

    The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error
    has occurred:

    The specified network name is no longer available.

    I have the Windows guest configured to use NAT, and it has the IP address
    192.168.118.128. (The 172.* info is in case I try the Windows configured
    for a "host-only" network, which I have yet to try).

    Here is my smb.conf file on the Linux host:

    # Global parameters
    [global]
    workgroup = MARKGROUP
    server string = CentOS Samba Server
    hosts allow = 172.16.59. 192.168.118. 127.
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    cups options = raw
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 50
    security = user
    password server = none
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    interfaces = 192.168.118.1/24 172.16.59.1/24
    remote announce = 192.168.118.255 172.16.59.255
    wins support = yes
    dns proxy = no
    idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
    idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
    template shell = /bin/false
    winbind use default domain = no

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    path = /home/%u
    valid users = %S
    read only = no
    browseable = no

    [tmp]
    comment = Temporary file space
    path = /tmp
    read only = no
    public = yes

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printable = yes
    browseable = no

    I don't really care about the printers, just the homes and tmp sections, but
    there must be something missing here or I would be able to connect the
    drives.

    There are no samba errors in the logs on the host side.

    Thanks.

    Mark Hull-Richter, Linux Kernel Engineer
    DATAllegro (www.datallegro.com)
    85 Enterprise, Second Floor, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656
    949-680-3082 - Office 949-330-7691 - fax

  2. [Samba] Problems with Samba between Linux host and VMWare Windows guest

    [Second try]