[Samba] Rebuild Samba Server: Do my XP clients need to rejoin domain? - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Rebuild Samba Server: Do my XP clients need to rejoin domain? - Samba ; All, I would like to upgrade our Fedora Core 3 Linux server (hosting samba, among other services) to Cent OS 4.4. However, if I reformat the array and install Cent OS 4.4 and copy back all the samba files (and ...

  1. [Samba] Rebuild Samba Server: Do my XP clients need to rejoin domain?

    All,

    I would like to upgrade our Fedora Core 3 Linux server (hosting samba,
    among other services) to Cent OS 4.4. However, if I reformat the array
    and install Cent OS 4.4 and copy back all the samba files (and other
    files), do my Windows XP Clients have to re-join the domain? I ask
    this because I have 150 machines and going to each one and leaving the
    domian and rejoining essentially the same domain would be a major time
    sink.

    Has anyone recovered a samba server from a fatal crash (or other
    reason) and had any luck with windows xp clients and not having to
    go to each client?

    Samba Version: 3.0.14

    Thanks in advance,

  2. [Samba] Re: Rebuild Samba Server: Do my XP clients need to rejoin domain?

    On 29/03/2007 18:17, Aaron Souza wrote:

    > I would like to upgrade our Fedora Core 3 Linux server (hosting samba,
    > among other services) to Cent OS 4.4. However, if I reformat the array
    > and install Cent OS 4.4 and copy back all the samba files (and other
    > files), do my Windows XP Clients have to re-join the domain? I ask

    I do not know Fedora and CentOS, but I performed a similar upgrade
    recently with Samba 3.0.23: I had a PDC running on Debian Sarge, I got a
    new machine and installed Debian Etch on it, then copied all relevant
    system and Samba files, following the migration guides in the official
    docs, and everything went smooth, also with WinXP Professional clients.
    No need to rejoin them.

    I suppose the same applies to your situation, as long as you take into
    account any different paths the two distros might use for Samba files.

    --
    Ciao,
    Marco.