[Samba] change password failed - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] change password failed - Samba ; I have configured samba as a PDC for our lab. I wish that users can change their password on any windows client machine of this domain. Now the users can logon to the domain on windows client machine, but when ...

  1. [Samba] change password failed

    I have configured samba as a PDC for our lab. I wish that users can
    change their password on any windows client machine of this domain.

    Now the users can logon to the domain on windows client machine, but
    when they press Ctrl+Alt+Del to change their domain password, the
    operation failed.

    Checking samba's log file, I found that 'auth 1 type failed'. I don't
    know what this meanes.

    By the way, I don't use password sync in samba PDC.

    Any help? thank you!

    --
    Shaochun Wang(ܴ)
    Laboratory of Computer Science, Institute of Software

  2. Re: [Samba] change password failed

    There are 2 things you need to make this work:

    1)a passwd chat line with the correct values for your server. Something
    like:
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
    *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
    *passwd:\spassword\supdated\ssuccessfully*

    2)unix password sync = Yes

    Shaochun Wang wrote:
    > I have configured samba as a PDC for our lab. I wish that users can
    > change their password on any windows client machine of this domain.
    >
    > Now the users can logon to the domain on windows client machine, but
    > when they press Ctrl+Alt+Del to change their domain password, the
    > operation failed.
    >
    > Checking samba's log file, I found that 'auth 1 type failed'. I don't
    > know what this meanes.
    >
    > By the way, I don't use password sync in samba PDC.
    >
    > Any help? thank you!

  3. Re: [Samba] change password failed

    Hi Cary Dale:

    I know what you meant. But that isn't the thing I want. I don't need any
    sync from windows passwd to unix password.

    --
    Shaochun Wang(ܴ)
    Laboratory of Computer Science, Institute of Software
    Chinese Academy of Science

  4. [Samba] PDC

    Hello,

    got some trouble with nameresolution I think, but need some help because auf
    starting blindness now.

    Server is resolveable by DNS forward and reverse.
    Also I set up a WinS server in samba.
    nmblookup -A and smbclient -L servername -N does work

    nbtstat -ac does just work with ipaddress and not with name of server, so my
    domain is not be found.

    Any suggestions?

    Best regards

    Sascha

  5. RE: [Samba] PDC

    Ok, solved the problem via the "Windows Repair Button" in network
    neighborhood.

    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

  6. Re: [Samba] change password failed

    Now I know the problem occurs just when the window client is windows
    2003 with sp1 and samba 3.0.10. Samba >=3.0.14 has fixed this problem,
    so updating the samba is the right solution.

    This problem exists with Red Hat Advanced Server 4.